Flareup?

• December 18, 2019 at 1:04 pm

57-year-old male – diagnosed 7/31 then two months in the hospital. Two months after that in rehab. Making good progress. Can walk 50 feet with a walker. I am now noticing more tingling on my weaker side both in the hand and foot. Also at night I get shooting sharp nerve pains all around the body. Do the symptoms of GBS come and go? I was feeling much better two or three days ago but now more tingling and a little more numbness in the lower leg.

• December 18, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Everyone is different. However, both my own experience (diagnosed 10/6) and what I’ve heard and read tell me that it is common for symptoms to change, whether it’s from day to day, or even hour to hour. I get lots more tingling and “buzzing” in my legs the more active I am. To me, these can a good sign that the nerves are healing, slow as that process may be. My numbness has been fading (almost all in my feet now), but that also seems to change during the day, or from day to night. I was attached to a walker maybe three weeks ago, and now I’m doing the most of my waking unassisted. So things can change quickly, and sometimes for the better! Don’t stop pushing and keep up the good work! And I hope you can find something to help alleviate that night pain. Mine was excruciating, and the doctors had to do a bunch of trial and error until we found something that finally worked.

• December 20, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Thank you for your words of support. You are making amazing recovery from 10/6! I am still on the walker but also am heavy so I think that is slowing my progress. So glad you are improving!

George Sowpel