First time IVIG…WORSE

• Anonymous
      December 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Well I finally had my loading dose of ivig last week after being diagnosed in Jan., had a little bit of flu like stuff going on but not bad. My symptoms prior were not that bad just some weakness,numbness tingleing…until three weeks ago the double vision hit me like a sledge hammer in one day. So i thought it might be time to get some treatment…the vision started getting a little better before I started the ivig. The problem is as soon as I finished the ivig it feels like I have ten pound leg weights on and limping. I thought this was supposed to make it better not worse….60g gamunex(i think) for 4 days at 120 rate took like 6 hours to run. Is this normal to get worse before getting better? Thanks for the feedback.

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2010 at 12:15 am

yes, sometimes it takes a coupe of days to start feeling better.

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2010 at 9:28 am

John:
      Although everyone’s experience is different, it is not uncommon for someone starting IVIG to feel worse — especially after that first loading dose. You are receiving quite a lot of IVIG when you load, and your body simply has never experienced that before. I developed aseptic meningitis after my loading dose and was so sick I thought I would die. I had to force myself to accept my next treatment, but my body adjusted, and now I wouldn’t care to think what my life would be like without Gamunex. Even now my symptoms will worsen slightly for a short period of time after an infusion, but it’s worth it. My last EMG in October showed that the treatments not only had stopped the progression of my CIDP, but I actually was showing improved nerve function. Hang in there.

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for the replies, just got a little frustrated.