Fingers going numb

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 11:06 am

Over the past couple of weeks my last three fingers on both sides have gone numb and come back, gone numb and then come back. Should this be a concern of a relapse? :confused:

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 11:13 am

Yes & no. Nice answer, eh?

It really depends on the person. Some people will experience a residual of numbness. Some people will get the numbness & it’s a sign of a relapse.

If I were you I’d let the neurologist know what is going on. He/she may want to do an EMG to check things out.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 1:55 pm

If you have confidence in him/her your neurologist is the one to tell you whether you should be concerned, so do tell the doctor what’s going on. The doctor can’t look at you and say “I see your fingers are numb”. I have CIDP and all my fingers and my hands became numb within the first year. I am severely damaged though, not mildly.

Some things that happen to me I now look at as regressions because I know they are not relapses. I have had CIDP for almost ten years and I’ve learned how to read myself, so I look at “regressions” as something that just happens and I shouldn’t be concerned.

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2008 at 3:51 am

I definitely think you should inform your neuro about the numbness. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that tingling indicates the healing of nerves, whereas numbness indicates some level of ongoing degeneration. If there’s a possibility that you are getting worse, or if these are new symptoms that you didn’t have before, it’s important that you report them to your neuro ASAP so that you can change your treatment plan right away, if necessary. I know my neuro insists that I call his nurse immediately if any new symptoms appear and often wants to see me right away so that he can examine me while they are still occurring and investigate before they get any worse. During the past year post-GBS, my neuro has been very consciencious about making sure I don’t have anything progressive (CIDP or MS) rather than GBS, and symptom reporting and timely exams are key to establishing that. Hopefully this is nothing for you, and it very well could be merely residuals, but on the off chance it’s something more, CALL. You have nothing to lose!

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2008 at 11:21 am

My fingers, hands, and up to the elbows are numb with pins, needles, and pain. the same is true for from my toes to my knees. I was dx in Nov 2007 with cidp.
      I’ve learned that when my numbness increase and the pins and needles severity increase i’m in a relapse and need to call md.
      my suggestion would be to call your neuro

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 8:46 am

🙂 I had an EEG and it came back normal.
      May be my nerves mis-firing.
      I check some meds and feel better now. 🙂