Fecal incontinence (pooing ones self)

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hello all,
      Sorry I took off.. I stopped posting/reading here after I decided to stop with diagnostic testing.

Well.. wouldn’t ya know.. my body had other plans for me.

In the last 3 months I’ve poo’d myself 3 times. (I’m 23 years old.. )
      I called my mother and sister and asked both of them if they’ve ever experienced that.. I got the same reply.. “no”.

I’ve already been checked out in GI for bowel problems in the past which included a colonoscopy (earlier this year).. that was fine.

So.. the incontinence is likely from my neuropathy.

I called and set up an appt. with my neuro, and plan on doing the nerve biopsy (since its what they wish to do)

.. NE way.. question for you all after the long ramble…
      Do any of you all suffer from bowel problems as a result of your CIDP?

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm

yes, when my neuropathy moved towards my autonomic nervous system, when i was in my worst months, it happened to me too… as, in my case, the prednisone backed off the cidp, the problem resolved itself…

just my opinion, i would resist the nerve biopsy. it does irreparable damage that you will have for the rest of your life– and it often reveals nothing. to give you an example, i have been through hell and back with cidp and am currently in a stem cell transplant program– and i have never had one.

hang in there–
      alice

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm

This is also a common occurence with spinal nerve issues…always one of the first questions when you have a ruptured disc, etc. Don’t know your history…just a thought.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Elmo- would that cause pain in the back?

I don’t have back pain.
      But I wouldn’t know about the “health” of my spine cause I’ve not had any tests on my spine except my “spinal tap”.

I called to see my neuro.. they couldn’t get me in till DECEMBER!!!!!!!:(

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 3:21 pm

[QUOTE=diagnonsense]In the last 3 months I’ve poo’d myself 3 times.
      So.. the incontinence is likely from my neuropathy.

Do any of you all suffer from bowel problems as a result of your CIDP?[/QUOTE]

[FONT=”Georgia”][SIZE=”2″][COLOR=”Sienna”]Yes. A quick treatment, as given by my neuro … when the poops begin to threaten, treat it as you would Montezuma’s Revenge … take an Imodium. Between threats … carry on the normal routine.

I’m editing to add that my problem was not directly CIDP, but a side effect of neurontin/gabapentin. [U][/U] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 5:00 pm

D,

Usually would cause pain in the back or neck, depending on which disc is causing it…cervical or lumbar. Can also cause arm/leg pain, numbness, tingling, a lot of the same symptoms. Not usually sensory nerve problems, though, I think. Sounds like it’s not probable in your case, but again, only a doctor would know for sure. I was very surprised when I had a blown C6-C7 disc, and one of their first questions was about “being able to make it to the bathroom in time”.

• September 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Hi Diagnonsense,
      It’s best that you discuss the bowel problem with your doctor. It could be the neuropathy and if the bowels are very loose maybe it’s diahrria or parasites or IBS. I don’t know.
      The second thing I’m concerned about is that nerve biopsies are controversial. I had a nerve and muscle biopsy which helped to diagnose my CIDP since my case was complicated. I have a little numbness in my ankle just like the surgeon said I would. I hardly notice this, but I have heard that sometimes people are left with pain afterwards.
      I think the outcome of the procedure depends on the skill of the surgeon and it’s wise to keep in mind that any type of surgery has risk factors.
      If you can get diagnosed without a nerve biopsy that would be great, but I hope you take care and get the right diagnosis.
      Wishing you the very best.

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I saw a GP today (general practitioner), she said neurology was the correct place for me.
      Thankfully the hospital systems are different in my city, and they were able to call and get me in after I get back from vacation! (So I will be seen on the 13th of October VS. December like I was going to have to previously wait)

This neurologist is in the Mayo health system, so, chances are fair that I will be referred back to Mayo in Rochester.

I emailed Dr. Lewis (whom is very knowledgable on CIDP) and he gave me a few names of Dr.’s at Mayo, so looks like I’m on the right track. 🙂

Thank you Rhonda for his email addy!
      And thank you everyone who replied to this thread.

My internet subscription has ended, and I won’t get it back till after I come home from vacation (the 10th)..
      My father, brothers and I are going down south and site seeing. 😀

I’ll keep you all updates as I can.