Epidural/anesthesia post-GBS

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 8:14 pm

I’m looking for any advice or information anyone may have concerning the risk/non-risk of having an epidural or spinal block during pregnancy if you had GBS at one time.

I was diagnosed with GBS 9 years ago. I still have residual weakness/numbness in my lower legs, but overall am very functional and thankful for the recovery I do have. I am pregnant with my first child. My OB/GYN is researching (due to concern of my past GBS history) if getting an epidural or having to go under local/general anesthesia for a C-section would be harmful to me. Also, I’m wondering if I am at risk to have any exacerbation of GBS symptoms while carrying the baby.

Has anyone done any research on this or have information?
      Thanks for the help!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 8:46 pm

Hi llahhi,

Welcome to the Forums.

There was a discussion about this on our old forums, which were wiped out 2 months ago by a hacker. If I am not mistaken, one of our senior members Jethro had posted that you would need to be extremely careful with an epidural after having GBS.

Whether your GBS symptoms would be exacerbated, no one knows. But there are alot of ladies here who have had a babies after having GBS and I am hoping they will tell you their stories. In my opinion only, symptoms could possibly get exacerbated. Everyone’s body is different and there is also the possiblity that your symptoms would not be exacerbated.

Wishing you the Best. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 10:43 pm

I was 17 when I had GBS, 2 wks after having my second child. I also had a tetanus shot 2 days after having my baby, the doctors said that the GBS was more than likely caused by the tetanus. I was in the hospital for about 1 month. I have since had 2 more children with no recurrent GBS symptoms.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 10:46 pm

I also had a spinal block with each of my children and had no problems. I know its hard not to, but try not to stress!