Emory University Sucks

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 11:59 am

I started going there last year- what a waste of time. I was a guinnea pig for students who scraped up my vertebrae trying to do a LP. Then they were incapable of sending an order for a LP to the radiology dept. This went on for weeks until I finally gave up on them.
      Now, even though I filled out paperwork for me and my doctors to get copies of my records when I first went there, they refuse to forward any records. My present neuro mailed, faxed and called them for 3 months and nothing. I called today and they said I could go to the records dept myself. How convenient for me the cripple. So I call and guess which department in their whole facility has no voicemail or alternate phone lines to rollover extra call volume? The records dept. Busy signal and hangups.

So, I found the President of the Emory Healthcare system, found his phone number and asked his nice secretary for help before I file a complaint with the Joint Commission for Accreditation http://www.jointcommission.org/GeneralPublic/Complaint/

She said she’d forward my information to someone who would help.
      Im not enthusiastic about my chances of actually getting help from anyone at Emory.

My neurologist doesn’t like Emory for just that reason- they refuse to send records. Emory sends reps selling their services to Atlanta area physicians and promised my neuro and his staff they wouldn’t have this problem ever again a day before my last visit and they were laughing about it. Pathetic.

I am thinking about driving down there today but I can’t waste the trip if I can’t confirm I can get my records or not.

Bottom line is- THEY SUCK. Try Medical College of Georgia or MAYO or somewhere else before Emory.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Okay. Found out that in January the HOSPITAL sent my test records to another office of my neurologist. But where I was going in Emory Hospital was considered a “clinic” so a whole other records department is responsible and never got any request for records from the neurology department. Plus since I wasnt a “Hospital” patient they only sent tests and not notes.

Would I have been able to find out any of this BS if I was taking my gabapentin + all my other dopey meds? NOPE

Is this process hostile or friendly to disabled people or patients of any kind? NOPE.

In the Emory University Hospital you may be in the Emory Healthcare Clinic even though they are two separate things and according to their website and information they reside in different places with totally different staffs and resources. Their clinic medical records office is not even listed in the directory. But its 10 blocks from the University Hospital which you could find out if you call the Hospital Medical Records department over and over and get through to ask a person for the correct place to talk to.

I should have just became a crack addict or a heroine addict or something. Its less confusing.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Th, Let me recall the words you said to me once ….. ๐Ÿ˜€

“Dont make me drive up there”, in your case it would be down there;) . I wish I could give you some advice, I know you have been through so much, and there comes a point where we feel we just cant take anymore, I know that. Please hang in there!

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=ali]Th, Let me recall the words you said to me once ….. ๐Ÿ˜€

“Dont make me drive up there”, in your case it would be down there;) . I wish I could give you some advice, I know you have been through so much, and there comes a point where we feel we just cant take anymore, I know that. Please hang in there![/QUOTE]
      ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks

After a few hours of phone work and website searching I got everything taken care of for now. At least I feel like i got something accomplished today.

How have you been Ali? You sound better ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2007 at 12:13 am

Yep, I’m doing well thanks. Permanently got paint and caulking on my hands, face and wherever, drywall dust filtering throughout the house everyday ….. so everything is just hunky dory :p