effects of heat and humidity on post-GBS

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 5:03 pm

had acute onset GBS 24 years ago – on a respirator and told I”d never move again by rehab doctor! I use one crutch and can drive as my right side is stronger and my hands can grip, tho they are the mosr badly affected. I
      moved to San Diego 11 years ago to escape New York winters and hot and humid summers. Recently, it’s been excessively warm and humid here (100% humidity one day). I have to get permissiion from my Housing Assocation to put an air condtioner in my unusually designed windows. so, before I go to great lengths, would like to ask: Does anyone else out there have problems with heat or humidity? Would a dehumidified work? I just joined the forum, and hope I’m following the correct procedure.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 8:41 pm

Welcome to the form. I have CIDP and the heat and humidity clean my clock. Northwest Florida can have some very intense summers. They can feel hotter than the desert.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 8:52 pm

Yes, here in Misissippi we have had a lot of hot and humid weather. I had GBS/MF about 28 yrs ago and yes, it does effect me a lot. I have a central unit plus a single unit in my bedroom.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 11:17 pm

Hi Alayne, Welcome to The Family. Fight for an Air conditioner! Heat and humidity can play havoc on your residuals. A dehumidifier won’t do the trick like an ac would. Get your dr to write an order for it, the housing police can’t decline a drs order. Take care.

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I had GBS 21 years ago, and the past few years my residuals have been giving me a tough time, they are definitely affected by the heat and humidity. Definitely fight for an airconditioner you will feel so much better. I find that in summer I hardly go out as it affects me immediately – Thank goodness for aircon.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 1:34 am

Dear Alayne:

Overheating, dehydration, and a loss of electrolytes will all negatively effect the operation of nerves, which are already pretty inefficient because of GBS anyway. Humidity will cause more problems because it slows the evaporation of sweat on the skin surface. Evaporation absorbs heat from the body. Lack of evaporation will cause overheating.

You seem to have a valid medical case for seeking a code modification for an AC unit.

Lee

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 4:48 am

hi alayne & welcome from one san diegan to another,

even if you live inland the heat lasts only for 3 months, but during that time you need relief. so for this time you could buy one of those portable A/Cs that are on wheels & have an exhaust vent to the outside like a clothes dryer. do you need permission for that? maybe just do it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 2:39 pm

I’ll add a note to the others. My doc said that with the mylin sheath (like a tube) missing in spots, the messages don”t travel “straight” from point A to point B, they scatter out into the body. And heat appears to make this worse for most people with a peripheral neuropathy. I definitely notice a difference in the summer.

This doesn’t explain why I suffer so from the cold of winter! Any guesses on the why of that??

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Dear Judi:

Just a guess, winter time requires more energy to maintain body warmth. If your nerves are already taxing your body for needed energy, the cold could make matters worse.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Lee. That surely makes sense! Does that also make “fog on the brain” 😀

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Heat and humidy just wipes me out. I think it’s more the humidity. I get soooooo weak. Of course once again nobody see’s this. I always try to put a smile on my face and act normal. Sometimes I wish I didn’t do this but most people don’t understand. My mom was one of the only ones. Now she passed, Memorial w/end. I miss her soooo much. It seems like she was one in a few that I could talk to that would reallly understand. God bless you mom. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Roxie

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 11:12 am

Alayne, summer usually affects me terribly with my extrimities. I stay out of the sun and inside all the time. It is being different this year. Take it with a grain of salt and keep cool. Take care and get better.