Education(2)

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies. In response to the comments, yes we did sue and yes we did win. First, the attending physician (who had treated 267 GBS patients before my daughter) ‘settled’ and yes, he did show some remorse but it was ONLY after 2 years and 5 months had passed and 4 days before the trial was to begin before a jury. Secondly, we had to sue the State of Ohio b/c my daughter was a patient at Ohio State University Medical Center (Dodd Hall nationally ranked 8th in the nation) and when you sue Ohio State you sue the State of Ohio and your case is decided by a judge APPOINTED by the state. The state finally admitted liability in March (3 years and 2 months after the fact) but the damages part is to be decided in court in August. It has been very stressful but we felt we had to do it for my daughter’s sake and we are now her ‘voice’.

See my daughter’s story here on the National Association of Trial Lawyers site. She is the blond haired young woman on the lower right and her story is on page 34. You might have to actually type the link in for it to work.

[url]http://www.peopleoverprofits.org/victims.pdf[/url]

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 4:07 pm

That makes me so sad and also so mad at the same time to read what happened to her. My heart goes out to you and your family, I pray for a miracle for your daughter, she deserved so much better. I hope those responsible lost their medical license.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 4:48 pm

What a beautiful daughter you have, kerbear. I, too, will be praying for a miracle for her.

Last month I went with Ben to visit his old nurses in CCU. The nurse who administered Ben’s pain medications was really happy to see us and surprised us by confessing that she had accidentally stopped Ben from breathing for a couple of minutes while he was coming off the ventilator. She said she had forgotten he was on Fentanyl, and it happened when she was reversing his meds. I don’t even want to think about the nightmare I would be living with right now if she had killed him. Your story, along with the others on that site, are definitely touching.

Love,

Shannon