Duloxetine/cymbalta

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 7:14 pm

Anyone on this drug? How does it works for you? Any side effects ? How about together with a beta blocker like propranolol. It’s been prescribed to my husband for pain in the feet related to CIDP, 60mg at night as the amitriptyline did not helped him .

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 8:12 pm

Daniela,

I am on Cymbalta, and believe me I really think, NO I KNOW, it is helping me. I know there are a few people who it has not agreed with, and Chrissy (one of our forum members) started having bad reactions to it after a number of months. I am on a VERY low dose, only 20mg, and after a few months, I told my doc that I didnt believe it was doing anything for me. Stopped it, and within 3 days, could bearly walk again after getting out of bed. My body pain came back in full force. My husband told me that I need to get right back onto it, which I did, and the very next day, I was SO VERY much better. I am still going to ask my doctor to up my dose as I think the dose is so low that it doesnt even touch my hand and feet pain. This is something I can sort of live with, as that only flares up if I walk for a distance, or write, hold the phone, peel potato’s – you get the idea. As I said, I didnt think that such a low dose was helping me, but boy was I mistaken. Personally, I have had really good results, and even though I am anti meds, always have been, I wont stop my Cymbalta, or Provigil! If you do a search on [B]Cymbalta,[/B] you will find a couple of threads, as well as posts that deal with that subject.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Daniela,

sorry, forgot to mention that I had GBS (20 years ago), and not CIDP. Not sure how many CIDP’ers are on Cymbalta.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 11:54 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”]Hi Daniela, I was one of cymbalta’s biggest critics when I first started on it. I was on another antidepressant I liked but had to change due to a major drug interaction. At first I had insomnia and continuous sweats with Cymbalta, but I hung In there and within 3 weeks it was doing a great job with my pain and depression. I am also on a beta-blocker, Atenolol, and have had no problems cardiac wise. I take 30mg in am and 30mg in the p.m. Take care, Vicki[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 8:41 am

One thing I should add to what Vicki said ….. I was told that I should take the Cymbalta in the morning so that it didnt interfere with sleep, and that seems to have helped a greatd deal.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Hi, i’m new to this site. i’ve was diagnosised with cidp in the beginning of this year. I tried cymbalta and i’m one of the people it didn’t agree with. It did seem to help with pain and numbness, and also i could walk better. but the side effects were awful. I’m glad it helpful for some of you. If it works use it.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 6:49 pm

welcome to the site bb, sorry to hear that you have CIDP. Have you tried Neurontin or Lyrica for your Neuropathic pain yet? or just Cymbalta?

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 8:20 pm

Hi everyone,
      thanks a lot for your replies , it is a bit confusing but I guess it all depends of how each individual tolerate different chemicals as we are all so different from each other.
      Bb what kind of side effects are you talking about?
      Ali, I’m glad to see that it helps you so much and really hope that is going to help my husband as well, it’s kind of our last thing to help as he is on a lot of pain medication that I always said that it would put a horse to sleep, tried neurontin carbamazepine and now on Lyrica, Oxycontin, tramadol and from today Cymbalta ( replaced the amitriptyline )He’s got trouble with the sleep as well but mainly because of the pain, do you think he should take the dose in the mornings as he is on a single 60mg dose a day?

Vicki how does it affect your sleep?

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 11:44 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”]Hi Daniela. I would suggest taking the Cymbalta in the morning since your husband is on a once a day dose. I do o.k. sleeping at night, but……I also take Klonopin, Seroquel, and Neurontin at bedtime. Between these three, I don’t think the Cymbalta has a chance of keeping me awake! Take care, Vicki[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 2:25 pm

I’m from the GBS Adult section, but am wondering if I am CIDP, so I took a peek and saw the title of this thread.

From my horrible experience on Cymbalta (2 months at 30 mg. then 2 months at 60 mg. in the morning), I would say just watch your husbands attitude. I had anger come out from who knows where and just about got myself fired from work. My body at first liked it, but after time I hurt worse than before. I went back to Paxil and amitryptiline and feel sort of okay now. Better than when I was on Cymbalta. If your husband does take this medication and then stops, google Cymbalta withdrawl to get some great advice from a couple of sites I visited.

Feel free to private message me if you have more questions!

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 7:35 pm

I took it for a week. It was awful. I was a wired, jittery, irritable and unable to concentrate. Told my DR I would not take it.

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:13 pm

just a quick update of my husband experience with cymbalta
      Doesn’t have any kind of effects yet, he takes them for a week now.How long for a benefic effect? 2-3 weeks, longer?

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 10:18 pm

I was on cymbalta for about 7 months, and even though I tapered I had horrible withdrawal symptoms, which the prescribing dr had no inkling of (I fired him).

Within 4 weeks off of the drug I started to lose it mentally, and have had to restart it at the lowest dose (now one week). It’s caused a HUGE setback in my health.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 12:59 pm

we’ve been kinda scared about the withdrawal symptoms and because after 3 months of it ( cymbalta) and not even a slight good effect we-ve stopped it- cold turkey- . He is in a realy bad state, fever, nervous, depressed , confused, trouble sleeping-hope he’s gonna come out of it soon, hate to see him like that.