Dry Hair

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2008 at 1:21 pm

This seems like a strange and unimportant symptom compared to some of the symptoms MFS manifests, but I’m wondering if anyone with MFS has noticed that their hair has dried out since getting MFS?

My entire life, I’ve had healthy amounts of oil in my hair – to the point that I would have to shampoo every day.

Since the MFS, I’ve noticed that my hair is really dry, and only needs to be shampooed every few days.

I’m just wondering if all the cranial nerve issues can cause this, and if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

• April 28, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Are you on any other meds? (side affects, dry skin) Do you have diabetes? PKS, are you male or female? Hormones or pre,peri menopause? Just some thoughts!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Dawn,

I’m on no other meds, have no other symptoms, and don’t have diabetes. I am a 44-year old woman, so I guess perimenopause is not out of the question. I didn’t know perimenopause could cause that – the timing of it is so wierd – coinciding with MFS. Thanks for the info, Dawn.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 5:13 am

Hey Paula,
      I don’t know if the neuropathy caused it or the hormones since I’m 43 but my hair is so dry now I just have to shake it when I get out of the shower and poof it’s dry. That’s saying a lot since it’s about 4 feet long… 😉 I’m grateful though since it takes a lot out of me to shower and wash my hair.

I think it’s hard to pinpoint what is caused by the cranial nerve involvement and what is a result of it… the dry hair (and skin too) could just be that my resources are being diverted other places, like to repairing my myelin. Or it could actually be that the nerves just aren’t activating those oil producing glands as much.

So many variables… so little information. Sigh :p

Julie

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Thanks, Julie.

And I know – I wish I just knew the answer to some of these things!

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2013 at 5:39 am

I came down with GBS – MFS in January this year (2013), since then I have noticed that the top of my head (skin) is really dry. I havent changed my meds and I have really noticed that I am getting dry skin sooner than I use to get. Granted I am balding, but my skin is pealing worse than it ever has before.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2013 at 11:36 am

What moisturizing product would you recommend for dry hair?