Doggy GBS

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 2:54 pm

I wasn’t sure where to put this, so it ended up here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you know that there’s a canine type of GBS? It’s called Coonhound Paralysis. I happened to be channel surfing late last night and came acrossed a show called E-Vets which had a bit on a Chow that had lost movement in her legs and had NO reflexes.

So, I did a little search on the internet and found this webpage:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7072488&dopt=Abstract

which compared the CHP to GBS.

Thought y’all would find it interesting!

BTW- after a week in veterinary intensive care and 3 more weeks at home recovery, the dog is fine. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 3:05 pm

I have wondered if dogs and cats also got gbs. Thanks for posting this information.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Yes, I knew about doggie GBS. I think we had discussed it on our old forums before a hacker destroyed them. Very interesting isn’t it.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 7:01 pm

I have heard of it but have never actually seen anything about it. I will have to see if I can find that show it was on, thanks for the post.

Jerimy

PS-Is that show on Animal Planet?

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 11:42 pm

That’s fascinating and sad, I’d never heard of people getting GBS prior to my attack let alone dogs. Thanks for the info ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2007 at 3:25 am

The first time I showed up at my vets using a walking stick, the vet asked what was wrong and I told him I CIDP, which was the chronic form of GBS. He immediately went into a discussion of Coonhound Paralysis.

The amazing thing to me was that he knew what GBS was!

Deb
      London