Does this sound like GBS?

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Hi everyone. So glad to have a place to turn to…I feel so alone. I began have numbness in my hands and feet about 2 months ago. It continued to get worse and I would get waves of numbness up my whole body. My family doc did all kinds of blood tests- all normal. She referred me to a neurologist who told me everything was normal. Fortunately, my fam doc believed me and consulted with a neurologist friend and they ordered an emg/nct. My nerve conduction test was abnormal indicating what he thought was a “subacute” GBS. The physiologist who did the test, said it was likely that the worst was over and I was lucky not to have gotten any worse. He send my results to the neurologist. At my follow-up with the new neuro, she recommended a spinal tap to see if there was an elevated protien level. She also is concerned that it may be Charcot Marie Tooth syndrome because I have high arches in my feet. My feet have always had high arches and there is no one in my family with any history of this.

During the last 3 weeks, I have had 2 or 3 days of feeling much better followed by 3-4 days of numbness/vibrations and it feels like my toes are swollen sometimes. I feel very weak but am able to walk and have had no problems tripping, stumbling, etc.

Neuro doesn’t think it is MS because MRI was normal.

Questions: Does this sound like GBS to you? How long does it take to get results of spinal fluid? Have you heard of slow onset/mild GBS?

Pk

My questions:

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2006 at 1:26 am

Pk,

[QUOTE]My feet have always had high arches and there is no one in my family with any history of this.[/QUOTE] CMT is a genetic syndrome. If there isn’t any other family members with CMT it doesn’t sound right.

It should not take but 2-3 days for the spinal tap results. Normal protein levels are 15-45. If the protein level is above 45, and all other cell counts are normal, chances are, you have GBS.

They may be checking your CSF for oligoclonal bands which may indicate possible Transverse Myelitis or Multiple Sclerosis. Ask your doctor – you’re paying the bills.

Best regards.

Jethro