Does this seem unreasonable?

• October 30, 2007 at 6:55 pm

sorry no info
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Hi Dawn: I am sorry you and Kevin continue to have difficulties. It is hard to know why these things happen, especially to kids. I wouldn’t worry about hurting the doc’s feelings, that is not your problem=doing the best for Kevin and yourself is your primary concern. What you suggest sounds reasonable to me, especially if you can safeguard Kevin’s fun time with friends which is so important now. I would recommend you schedule a meeting with a psychologist to work on this all as a family-I think you are not supported so well by your husband and a family meeting might help with that as well. I work now with a family with a nine year son with diabetes-they must wake up every night to check on his blood sugar and have had several crises that put so much pressure on the family that they need some place to work it all out. I hope you can find someone empathetic who can help your whole family work on this. I also hope you and Kevin can get some good news soon. Jeff

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2007 at 8:37 pm

`Dawn

When I first had problems with bad veins, the nurses wet towels with hot
      water around my arms until they got cold…then repeated it two more times,
      then they were able to stick me without any problems. Later, I got the port
      put in…1,000 times better.

Just a thought…

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2007 at 11:53 pm

I had a PICC line inserted in June of 2002, while I was inpatient at Mayo in Rochester, MN. A young woman just came into my room & if I remeber right it was a fairly simple procedure. I had no problems at all with it & had it in for 5 months. My husband did have to flush it once or twice a day with saline solution, & he was nervous about that.

When weekly PP was ordered for that November, the PICC line was taken out by my home health care nurse & I had an ash split catheter put into my chest. I would have that in for 15 months, or until I was off of all treatments for good. It was put in in Duluth & I was given something that made me not even remeber the procedure, although I was not technically put out. I had no problems or infections with that either, but could not shower. I would recommend a chest catheter if he has small veins, it makes it so much easier.
      Pam