Does exercise increase parasthesia?

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2012 at 10:03 am

I’ve noticed that my perceived numbness in hands and feet, arms and legs, increases if I’ve been unusually active. For example, I worked at my lathe and turned several large bowls, helped a friend move and pruned part of a tree. In the asfternoon, I was noticing numbness moving up legs and increased – if that is possible – numbness in hands and forearms.
      Questions:
      1. Is this harmful? Does the activity inflame nerves? I’m 70, so was used to pain after working hard even before I came down with this cursed affliction.
      2. Has anyone else hasd this experience andf if so, what were your outcomes?
      3. I’d like to try more regular exercise – aerobics and so on – just to bring heart rate up a bit. Has anyone tried that and were there any adverse reactions to moderate exercise?

• January 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I currently don’t have a diagnosis (good ol diagnostic limbo), but that has been the case with me since the day this all started- The more I walk or am up – my feet and upward get numb, when I type or do anything with my hands- my fingertips get more numb and tingly.. More I talk/laugh my face and neck even get numb! So strange.. as far as if it’s harmful- i wouldn’t think so, but I don’t know.. I take lyrica at night, which takes those paresthesias away for the most part.

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Hello!

I’ve experienced increased numbness/tingling during and after exercising. It usually goes away shortly after I’ve finished. I don’t believe it’s harmful, though I haven’t asked a health professional.

Take care,

Tina

• January 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I also have increased paresthesias with exercise. In my experience, they calm down after I rest and sometimes this takes longer than others. I also do not know if it is harmful nor do I have an explanation other than exercise increases “demand” on the nerves so that may account for flare of symptoms that are less when less demand on nerves. I have been encouraged to stay as active as possible. My problem is with too much activity, I actually get weakness, muscle spasms and twitching .

• January 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I get more paresthesia after exercise or if I am more active than usual. At times I get worried that it is my symptoms getting worse….so i use my weights to assure that i can still lift the same amount of weight.
      I wonder too if the numbness is making my cidp worse???

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2012 at 11:17 am

I have increased paresthesia with activity. It starts with the legs then moves to the arms, the right arm will become so numb and my skin on my right tricep will hurt so badly. During the day I recover shortly but in the evening the sensations can last until I eventually fall asleep. These sensations can start with the most minimal of activity. If they are bad then I won’t be able to do anything including typing with my one finger. No medication has helped..just trying to deal with it.