Dmv

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 2:57 am

Hi-

Been recovering and rehabbing from GBS since 4/2005.

Finally got back my old job but working part time only.

Liabilities a major issue.

To get more future hours, I have to do more from my old job description.

Driving again is the next road block towards my recovery towards being a full time worker again.

Was told that I have to go to a hospital that provides special driving training at a cost of $555.00 (2 hour session).

If I fail, it would cost me $555.00 each time to retry again (medical insurance and company will not help pay for it/Not a emergency medical issue).

Will hopefully take the test sometimes in 2008.

Has anybody else tried driving again from a serious bout w/GBS and succeeded?

Need to hear your story at the DMV.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 11:34 am

Hello Udaman, It depends how much feeling you have in your limbs. It took me some time years to be able to drive again. You will have a problem hitting the brakes way too hard and I still do that. Cruise control is a life saver.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 11:43 am

Hi Udaman:

I have CIDP and after a severe episode I was left unable to drive. After many months of recovery I was ready to try and get back behind the wheel. Here was my process – I also live in California:

First, I went through an evaluation at a local hospital that offers a driving rehabilation program. This took about four hours, wherin my strength, limitations, vision etc. was evaluated. Then, a car was setup with the recommended adaptive equipment (in my case full-hand controls and spinner knob) and I went out driving with an instructor. When I proved I could drive safely with these modifications, they gave me a one-page certificate that was also sent to my doctor. This cost about $275.00

Then, I bought the hand controls and they were installed, and I was back to driving again. For reference, my doctor never reported to DMV that I should not drive, I just stopped driving when I became so disabled.

About 8 months later I received a normal license renewal letter from the DMV. The renewal notice asks if you previously have been unable to drive because of illness. I of course disclosed YES on the renewal notice. About two weeks after mailing in the renewal form I was sent a series of forms seeking more detailed medical information for me and my doctor to fill-out. Then, I was forwarded to the DMV re-examination department to meet with them and discuss the data, etc. I also took a written DMV test at that time.

Then, I was sent to take driving test, which I passed easily. My driver’s license was amended with several restrictions – Must have hand controls, spinner knob, and must wear corrective prism lenses to correct double vision. The DMV will re-examine me every few years.

All-in-all, it was pretty easy. Hand controls cost about $900.00 installed, if you need them.

Best of luck to you.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 6:54 pm

I was 100% paralysed by my bout of GBS. I started driving again 5 months after diagnosis. It was 2 1/2 months after release from the hospital. My doctor never reported me and I just asked her if I could start driving again. I was walking independantly and complete control of my limbs.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 11:27 pm

[QUOTE=Gemcutter]Hello Udaman, It depends how much feeling you have in your limbs. It took me some time years to be able to drive again. You will have a problem hitting the brakes way too hard and I still do that. Cruise control is a life saver.[/QUOTE]

Hi Gemcutter-

I’m about 80% right now w/both arms. Upper and lower body strength about 90%. Just nervous about not messing up. Thank you for your reply.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 11:33 pm

[QUOTE=Billt]Hi Udaman:

I have CIDP and after a severe episode I was left unable to drive. After many months of recovery I was ready to try and get back behind the wheel. Here was my process – I also live in California:

First, I went through an evaluation at a local hospital that offers a driving rehabilation program. This took about four hours, wherin my strength, limitations, vision etc. was evaluated. Then, a car was setup with the recommended adaptive equipment (in my case full-hand controls and spinner knob) and I went out driving with an instructor. When I proved I could drive safely with these modifications, they gave me a one-page certificate that was also sent to my doctor. This cost about $275.00

Then, I bought the hand controls and they were installed, and I was back to driving again. For reference, my doctor never reported to DMV that I should not drive, I just stopped driving when I became so disabled.

About 8 months later I received a normal license renewal letter from the DMV. The renewal notice asks if you previously have been unable to drive because of illness. I of course disclosed YES on the renewal notice. About two weeks after mailing in the renewal form I was sent a series of forms seeking more detailed medical information for me and my doctor to fill-out. Then, I was forwarded to the DMV re-examination department to meet with them and discuss the data, etc. I also took a written DMV test at that time.

Then, I was sent to take driving test, which I passed easily. My driver’s license was amended with several restrictions – Must have hand controls, spinner knob, and must wear corrective prism lenses to correct double vision. The DMV will re-examine me every few years.

All-in-all, it was pretty easy. Hand controls cost about $900.00 installed, if you need them.

Best of luck to you.[/QUOTE]

Hi Billt-

Have a feeling that I will experience what you went through. Was told by the person in chage of the adaptive driving course not to mention my illness (my driver’s license expires in 2010/Perfect record) to the DMV. It will bring in too much “red tape” from the DMV. Thank you for replying.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2007 at 1:37 am

[QUOTE=TCorrell]I was 100% paralysed by my bout of GBS. I started driving again 5 months after diagnosis. It was 2 1/2 months after release from the hospital. My doctor never reported me and I just asked her if I could start driving again. I was walking independantly and complete control of my limbs.

Tonya Correll[/QUOTE]

Hi Tonya-

Every individual is different in the recovery process. Congratulations on your recovery progress! My worst scenario was about 95% (could only move my eyes and right foot). I’m getting there but the waiting part to see the recovery of my nerve damage in both arms takes it’s toll. Take care!

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2007 at 8:51 pm

I started driving again after one year .I will tell you that you will have several problem with hitting brakes and giving gas .Also I have some trouble with hitting in traffic long time .I start getting week holding brakes .So I just put in park .:) Good luck and be careful 😀

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2007 at 5:55 am

[QUOTE=greasemonkeyfred]I started driving again after one year .I will tell you that you will have several problem with hitting brakes and giving gas .Also I have some trouble with hitting in traffic long time .I start getting week holding brakes .So I just put in park .:) Good luck and be careful :D[/QUOTE]

Hi Greasemonkeyfred-

I was paralyzed fromthe mouth down to the waist. The only problems I worry about is steering, putting the key in the ignition, etc.. Finally practice officially w/a friend driving and was a little rusty but once the everyday occurence of driving again will come naturally. Heard that adaptive driving equipment will help me out in the long run. I escape death, recovery, rehab and now returning to normal everyday stuff is my next road block. Just got back from my eye exam and came back 20/21 (have a little near sight problem but no biggee!).

Take care.