Diversions & Restaurants

• September 8, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Hullo Friends,

My wife and I enjoy trying new restaurants and site seeing. It’s one thing to do a city search and try your luck from a perhaps dubious list … but what I really like are recommendations from friends.

I didn’t see an existing Thread relating to “Where to eat” or “What to do” in the cities where we get treated or see doctors … so I thought I’d start one and see if it gets any interest.

If you’re ever in the Houston hospital district … the worlds best margerita pizza is found at a place called “Grottos” not too far away. It’s just off of the 610 loop at Westheimer. Their tomato basil soup is to die for; just ignore the calories… :p

The Contemporary Craft Museum on Main Street, again not too far from the hospital district. It’s free and they have resident artists who are really fun to visit with and hear/learn about their craft.

Gary

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Great idea Gary! I love it! I have a request. Heading to Pheonix in a couple months. Anyone want to make some recommendations for good restaurants around the airport area?

If anyone travels to Vancouver and likes ribs…D’em Bones is the best rib place I have eaten at. They even come and tie a bib around your neck for you so you don’t get dirty while chowing down!

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Great Idea for a thread, Gary.
      I will pick just one well known place this time, as there are soooo many restaurants and places to visit, I don’t want to overwhelm anybody:D
      One place I like to eat at is Klinger’s favorite place for dogs—Tony Packos. There are 2 packos in the northern Ohio area to eat at, one is here in Sylvania, right off the expressway. The original Tony Packos is in East Toledo, just off I-280 expressway, and just north of the 80/90 turnpike. In the Birmingham neighborhood of Toledo, at the corner of Front and Consaul. You can read all the signed hot dog buns they have on the walls, after you fill up on their World Famous Hot Dogs and Pickle and Peppers. I’m getting hungry for them as I write this….:p

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Hi Gary, there are Grottos in Rehoboth, DE; Bethany beach, DE and Seaford, DE that my hub and I have visited. Not sure if yours is the same but ours is a Pizza place, subs, burgers, salads. Good Eats! If anyone is visiting Ocean City, MD and like crabcakes you’ve got to try the Crabcake Factory, around 123rd St and Coastal Highway. Get the all lump crabcakes. Pricey but so worth it! Mmmmmm this thread is making me hungry!

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 6:24 pm

We’ll be heading back to UW Hospital in Madison, Wis. next week. Have to spend a couple of nights for testing.
      Any suggestions for good dining out in Madison?
      By the way, Gary, great thread idea.

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Gary-you could come to the Midwest like now? Get out of there before Ike comes to visit………you are welcome here-we have a guest suite in my apartment complex and have wonderful places to eat-Main St is a college hang out run by college kids, food is great and cheap. Surrounded by good hospitals. Restaurants overlooking Lake Michiagn. good midwest people.
      Hope you evacuate northor west. Take good care Gary . God Bless you and your family. Be Safe………..Emma

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 4:40 am

Hi Gary! In Rocky Mount, NC we have a great Seafood Restaurant called The MayFlower. Ever come to my area try that place out. On 301 Highway just off I-95. Great place to eat!

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 7:54 am

Jan, I know some great restaurants in Scottsdale…dang, I wish I could remember something around the airport.

A place I have come to absolutley love is a bbq place called Famous Dave’s.
      Oh yum ! I dont know if there are any other than in Omaha and Kansas City.
      If you like bbq and you find one, it’s a must.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:39 am

When I lived in New York (Never Forget, Remember 9/11), one of my favorite places was Old Dock Inn, water view restaurant, wheelchair accessible and they’ll make you feel welcome.

I haven’t been in central Florida long enough to know places here.

• September 11, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Cheryl,
      We have a trip planned to Cincy the week of the 21st. Do you have a recommendation for Cincy?

Emma, thanks for the offer. We have evacuated to our son’s home near Austin. We left under a mandatory evacuation that was imposed at 10:00pm last night for our community. Our home is 10 miles from the beach at 21 feet above sea level (yikes Ike). I posted a prayer request…

If I have a home and computer to return to, I will be looking for Cheryl’s reply…

Gary

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Gary, Best wishes and good luck and Godspeed!

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Gary, I find it kinda funny, you come this way and my brother goes down to Houston:) from Ohio. He is with Medcorp and is assisting with the evac.
      Sorry I don’t know of any good restaurants down there, I haven’t been south for over 10 yrs. If I talk to our friend in the next few days I’ll post what he recommends, he is down there all the time.
      You are in my Prayers for a safe trip and return to nothing but a puddle in your driveway;)

• September 12, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Thanks all for the prayers. We’re still fairly nervous. The pictures you see on the weather channel of Surfside Texas is within miles of where we live. Fortunately we are on the other side of the levee and the storm surge. However the winds area concern.

Cheryl, God bless folks like your brother who place themselves at risk unselfishly to respond to people in need. Please pass along my thanks to your brother. And I’m looking for that Cincy recommendation.

God Blessing to you all. Gary

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 9:02 pm

U of M is a wonderful hospital and the university is right there, so the culture in the area is awesome! I wish i could remember the name of the place we ate at! there cant be anything else like it, though, so maybe it wont be hard to ask about once anyone gets there.

It was very near the hospital, i think down the hill and then a left on the main drag where there are a bunch of businesses. It may even have been a bar. anyway, they served real authentic latino food. not what youd find anywhere else. im talkin’ food from south america, puerto rico, etc! i have never seen puerto rican food anywhere but there. miss it sooo much! ive only been there twice to see family, but got hooked on the food! nothing like mexican food, which i also love.

anybody else got a good place in michigan? anyone know the name of a little hole-in-the-wall soul food restaurant in ohio – cincinnati (sp?), i believe. wow! that was some good home-cookin! its a cafeteria style place but very small, and looked family-owned. pretty sure it was a woman’s name on the sign. i seriously think about taking a trip from cetral michigan down to ohio just to eat at that place! not jokin’!

sorry! im trying to recommend places where i dont even know the name or location:confused: silly me!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 9:06 pm

INDIANAPOLIS!!! THAT SOUL FOOD PLACE WAS IN INDIANAPOLIS!

if anyone has any idea what im talking about, id sure like to know the name of it and how to get there again! mmm! mmm! mmm!:p

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I am familiar with Tony Packo’s Pickles since I am from Ohio but more south of the Cleveland and Toledo area. If you get any make sure you get the sweet hots not the original. They are really not hot and the originals I do not think are as good at all.
      I do know that The Montgomery Inn on the water has wonderful ribs in Cinncinati. And their sauce is wonderful too. I can still get the sauce in Ten. and also the pickles in only one store in Ten. If you ever go more north towards Dover or New Phili they have a store called Buehlers (a really nice grocery store) and you can get Mids Spaghetti Sauce. THE BEST. My husband is from that area and it is wonderful to visit the Amish area off of Route 39 going towards Strasberg. The towns are Berlin, Walnut Creek, Sugar Creek (for Swiss cheese)

We use to live even more north in a small town called Wadsworth and I always got Mids sauce at Buehlers there but it is alot more north. So anyone coming from my old neighberhood brings me the Mids sauce.

That Amish area is about 45 minutes from the Dover,New Phili area . In Tn a cute little store owned by Ohioians goes there for their furniture and antique items This may be alot farther than you wanted to go to. But maybe someday.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 8:33 pm

If anyone is ever in central michigan, my parents and grandparents own and run a mexican restaurant in St. Louis. Everything is home-made, as in, my grandmother and mother hand-rolling dozens and dozens of tortillas every morning. if you order breakfast, chances are that your tortillas are coming right off the iron griddle:p

love it!!! reminds me of when i was a kid, taking the tortilla right off the flame, slathering it with butter, rolling it up, and eating it while it was so hot that it was burning my fingers and the butter was dripping off my elbow!

When people dont feel good, they go to Tacho’s (nickname for Anastasio, my grandfather) and get spicy rice soup or menudo. The party animals say menudo is the best cure for a hangover. My family makes em all from scratch.

its a tiny hole-in-the-wall kind of place but that is what the customers love. i was raised working there and now my little brother, sister, and cousins do, too. i imagine my 13 year-old is next in line. i love watching him, at home, burning his fingertips flipping the tortillas on the griddle. we pick on him that real cooks take the pain:D

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Jaime, Ask the Man-Jerimy, he lives in Ann Arbor. If anyone can tell you its Jer!! I usually don’t go left when I’m up there, I would get lost again going that way.:rolleyes:
      Gary, My brother made the Houston and Toledo papers, he was handing a baby from neonate to a nurse on a copter. His med group also made the Findlay paper. I just wish we could hear that he is ok, since the storm hit land we haven’t heard anything. We are getting Ike now, gusts up to 70mph and lots of rain, was 87 before it hit. Wow what a quick moving storm.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 9:07 pm

[QUOTE=GaryO Houston]Thanks all for the prayers. We’re still fairly nervous. The pictures you see on the weather channel of Surfside Texas is within miles of where we live. Fortunately we are on the other side of the levee and the storm surge. However the winds area concern.

Cheryl, God bless folks like your brother who place themselves at risk unselfishly to respond to people in need. Please pass along my thanks to your brother. And I’m looking for that Cincy recommendation.

God Blessing to you all. Gary[/QUOTE]

Gary, I’m hoping and praying that you find your home intact, with only minor damage. My wife’s sister and her husband, who rode out the storm here in Lake Charles with us, live in Bacliff. Although homes and businesses within 1/2 mile of them were destroyed, their home sustained only moderate roof damage. My brother-in-law made his way home this afternoon, to find that power had been restored to his neighborhood. Thank God for underground utilities.

Our thoughts and our prayers are with you and your family. Keep your head up.

Rod

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 9:18 pm

I hope that God has held all of you in the palm of His hands through this scarey time. I am glad that you are okay, Rod. I saw some pictures of flooding in Lake Charles. I also hope that Gary is okay. My brother lives in the same general area that Gary lives south of Houston and I was very relieved that all his family are safe and their house not destroyed. I hope the same is true for Gary and any others from the southeastern part of Texas/Southwestern Louisiana coastline. WithHope

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm

[QUOTE=WithHope]I hope that God has held all of you in the palm of His hands through this scarey time. I am glad that you are okay, Rod. I saw some pictures of flooding in Lake Charles. I also hope that Gary is okay. My brother lives in the same general area that Gary lives south of Houston and I was very relieved that all his family are safe and their house not destroyed. I hope the same is true for Gary and any others from the southeastern part of Texas/Southwestern Louisiana coastline. WithHope[/QUOTE]

We dodged the bullet on the flooding, Hope. Five houses, one street over from us, had water in them, and over 40% of Lake Charles was flooded. This storm was so different from Rita. Rita was severe destruction, with some flooding. Ike (for us) was severe flooding with minor destruction.

The devastation on Galveston Island is mind-boggling. In this part of the country, we often hear statements such as, “I’m not going to evacuate. It’s only a Category 2 storm.” Well, Ike was “only” a Category 2 storm when it made landfall, and look at the destruction it left in its wake. We only had Category 1 sustained winds in Lake Charles, and my wife said she’ll evacuate every time, from now on.

• September 14, 2008 at 11:47 pm

We actually had substantial flooding in Illinois. Ten inches in our area. The retention ponds in the yards are filled, some houses flooded. Kevie took the remote control boat and was playing with it in the street, now pond. Alot of kids were playing on rafts swimming in the water!!! Yuk, sewage, I can’t believe how stupid some parents are!!! Not to mention the current and depth!!! A suburb not too far from the symposium was badly flooded too. Areas of downtown Chicago were evacuated, as the Chicago river jumped. They had to open up the locks to let some water out to lake Michigan.
      On the bright side, we had a rain deficit, so I guess the grass is going to be nice and green. Hopefully all of the work the squirrels have been doing in our yard burring the walnots and acorns won’t be washed away!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 2:23 am

I remember Hurricane Floyd here in Rocky Mount, NC. The first hurricane that fooled the State. It was a Cat 2 also but several thousand lost their homes and alot of people died in that storm. It was also a wide spread storm! Those wide spread storms can cause more damage than a smaller Cat 2 only giving winds more than rain.
      Something we now have to think about is global warming. That global warming is changing our world overnight. Areas that you would not typically see things like this are happening eveywhere. Global warming is going to make these storms much stronger than they look with a powerful punch. Just glad some of you are doing okay. But sad that others are not and hope they don’t find alot of death from this storm. Very sad for many families right now. Very very sad!

• September 18, 2008 at 10:31 am

All,

Thank you all for your prayers. Wendy and I give thanks and praise to God as we survived Ike well. Our home was spared and sustained no damage, but we are still without electrical power.

Thanks for the recommendations for Cincy. My mouth is watering for the BBQ and pickles.

If you like steaks I recommend Taste of Texas for Houston. It is located on the south side of I-10 just inside Beltway 8. The steaks are aged and melt in your mouth and the salad bar is superb. My favorite is their onion soup. We ate there last night. I had heard that the restaurant had prepared and delivered 250 meals for the emergency responders at one location. The menu is a little pricy and usually they are packed, so plan for a wait. THey do have free tea, popcorn and nacho chips while you wait (just don’t eat so much you spoil your appetite)… 😀

Gary

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 10:56 am

Gary, glad you made it through that terrible storm. Hopefully they will get the power up soon, i can’t imagine living without it in that situation.
      Hey if you see my brother tell him to call home, we are worried about him:D I can’t believe the destruction that is all around down there. I can’t imagine what those who lost their homes are going through. I wish i could help in some way other than the water and supplies donation way. If only i had the energy.
      Glad to hear your home was spared. Take care!

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Gary, glad you and Wendy are home safe and sound. God answered our prayers! I now pray that the less fortunate find support and comfort from those in their communities as they rebuild their lives.

My mouth is watering from your description of the steaks. I have a co-worker in Houston once in a while. I am going to send him that way and he can check it out so if I am ever back that way, I can go there.