Disability Approved!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 1:16 pm

I have read such horror stories about people being denied Social Security Disability that I was not very optomistic when I applied in July 2006. My husband actually made the initial call and my mother-in-law did the phone interview for me since I was not able to speak loud or for long due to the vent.

I am happy to announce that I recieved my SSD approval today! 😀

I am so surprised and happy I want to share the good news with everyone.

If you are applying or have applied for SSD, stay positive. There are happy endings out there. Good luck to everyone!

Brenda

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 1:36 pm

Congratulation Brenda I am so happy for you 🙂

Sue

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 2:02 pm

Thats great news…. congrats!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Wonderful new, Brenda! Thanks for posting the good tiding to encourage others.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 5:25 pm

Congratulations Brenda. I have read so many sad stories of people being turned down. My husband Frank received SSD the first time he applied.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 5:26 pm

Hi,

Most don’t realize that SS starts the clock on each case from the day a person enters a hospital. Still have to do the 4 month qualifier thing though. That’s where retroactive payments go back to. The 5th month. While in a hospital, or on life support anywhere, is the best time to apply, let records sit on their desk until you get your other qualifiers submitted, and it’s real hard for them to argue anything under those conditions. Also, the time a person will have a doc on their side the most. You can get paperwork anytime to them from day one. Helped speed the process up and get needed doctor conformations quickly too regarding condition. Another choice for people.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 1:45 am

Congrats Brenda! I’m glad it went well for you the first time around. You sure do deserve the break!:) How have you been feeling lately? Still going up and down? Take care.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 11:09 am

Congrats Brenda, what a relief.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Hi,

Does SSD depend on your household income. My husband works and we are making it but it sure would be nicer if I could work full-time but can’t. What is the criteria for SSD?

Caroline

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 1:05 am

hi caroline, i’m on disability and my husband works, of course there are 2 differences-1. i’m a public employee and 2. i’m in ohio. other then that there shouldn’t be any differences. if you paid into the system and can’t work for 12 months and have drs who can fill out the paperwork required, then you should try for it.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Hi,

Go to [URL=”http://www.ssa.gov”%5Dwww.ssa.gov%5B/URL%5D, and all answers are given an explained from the horse’s mouth. It will tell you what you need, to qualify into the system.
      It’s importent to know that what a person put into that system over a lifetime, counts for nothing. All finacial dealing and qualifiers are based on math formulas, otherwise, on average, people would use up all money in their account in 2 years time. Quarters worked, I believe is 42, being vested in the progam, qualifies you to take advantage of this system, and payout is establish, or avaraged, on the last 42 quarters a person worked. Not their lifetime. I’ve got 34 years in it, but I worked up to my onset, so from that point on back 42 quarters, is how your payment amount is arrived at. It can be confusing so come here for clairafacation on points you aren’t quite sure of, and a lot of us can help give you pointers. Start there, then ask here.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 10:11 pm

The only time your spouse’s income matters is at tax time. There is a certain point when some of your SSD is taxable.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2006 at 11:50 pm

WAY TO GO BRENDA..It’s nice to hear the success stories. I was fortunate and was able to get disability quickly but mine is thru the government, believe it or not.:D But someone out there is listening…yeaaaaaaaaa

Stormy

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Congratulations!!!:)

QueenDuchess
      aka
      Jennifer

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2006 at 9:01 pm

I had GBS in 1981 when I was just 19 years old. I was on SS for a while. As soon as I was able, I went back to work and disability was discontinued. I worked for 20 more years… then gradually, the pain and fatigue began to take over my body. I had gotten to the point that I was missing work at least 1-2 days every-other week. My wages began to be cut, I lost benefits and bonuses… I was so totally exhausted that I finally quit working five years ago. However, at that time, I was too proud of what I had done – the improvements I had made – the “I’ll show those doctors what I can do” attitude, that I would NOT admit to myself or others (not even doctors) the tremendous pain and fatigue I was experiencing.

Recently, my husband advised me that I “had to give it up” and admit that I am now disabled once again (not from any type of paralysis — but from the pain and fatigue that I am now experiencing in my 40s. In July, I filled out the application for Disability benefits, which they are now in the process of sending me to “their” doctors. I’m sure I’ll be denied, then appeal, then see what happens from there… but I do have one question…

Has anyone else ever experienced this reoccurrance of tremendous pain and fatigue after sooooo many years?

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2006 at 11:06 pm

Tracey,

There are quite a number of us who have had exactly the same. Its called ‘post gbs’. For over 18 years I put GBS behind me, believing I had fully recovered. When this started, I wanted nothing to do with it, thinking that it was a case of mind over body. I am still trying to get my head around what is happening and hate that, at 39 I feel like a little old woman. This is a thread that Gene posted on [B]pain & fatigue explained by dr. parry[/B] , copy and past it to open it …. [URL=”http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40″]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40[/URL] , also, Marge posted a thread called[B] post polio syndrome[/B] (which they say is similar to post gbs), once again copy and paste [URL=”http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1017″]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1017[/URL]. Also if you look you will see a few threads called post gbs, they are interesting to read.
      If you havent seen these threads, I hope they help a little.