Did your GBS start during Christmas / New Year’s holidays?

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Maybe it’s just because my own GBS started on Dec. 31, but I seem to notice a lot of people posting who mention that their own bout with GBS or CIDP began during the Christmas / New Year’s holiday period.

I’m curious to see how many others have had this experience.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 7:49 pm

SuzyQ

Mine started in December too. On Christmas day I couldnt swallow my food, stumbled all over the place and most of my face was paralyzed so I slurred my words. New Years eve was spent in ICU on a vent, listening to the crowds outside the hospital celebrate the New Year.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 10:23 pm

When I first started using the computer and doing my own research to read about GBS I had read and I am not sure where I read this because I have not read it again. The most common cases of GBS are in the North East USA and during the Fall and Winter. Mine started in November 2005…..I will continue to read this thread also for posts.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Mine began in the middle of May.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Frank’s GBS started in December also, 10 days after receiving the flu vaccine.

• January 12, 2007 at 11:26 pm

Mine showed up in August.
      Al

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 11:28 pm

My first symptoms began the middle of March, but I had been battling a severe cold in December which turned into a hack that lasted all winter. After I was dx with GBS I was told that I actually had “walking pneumonia.” I live in northern MN where we have pretty frigid winters. I was also told that it was what caused my illness. I believe my immune system went into overdrive after fighting that cold for so long.

But then again, here it is very common to talk to people who battle a cold for months during the winter, so why wouldn’t they get GBS?

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 5:20 am

My syptoms began 4 days before Thanksgiving Nov 2002.

Angela

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 3:25 pm

December for me too. Ted

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 7:12 pm

mine started the week after new years on january 9th. symptoms started showing and then a fast downward spiral on the 10th.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Just before thanksgiving for me – about two weeks

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 8:27 pm

I had GBS 27 yrs ago when i was 11 and mine started in early Nov. My mom was pregnant with lil sis and so I was in hospital alone from Dec. 22-Jan.22. My mom had lil sis on Jan. 29. So I know what its like to have GBS through the holidays too. Hope the best for you.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 10:06 pm

My first GBS symptoms for my second onset ( most severe, first onset not daignosed till second) began between 3p and 3:30p on Dec 13, 1979. Spent holidays in ICU in an iron lung.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 10:22 pm

Mine started end of January

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 7:34 am

GBS on the last thursday of November the 30th of 2000.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 11:33 am

December 23 for me

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 2:18 pm

I was early November. I’m wondering if the commen factor for GBSers whose onset was Nov., Dec., Jan. is climate related. I have a sister who has had MS for many years. She would always get worse and relapse in the fall…change of seasons, temperture. It may not be the holidays as much as what is going on around us during that period of the year. Flu season and shots, colds and infections…all being possibilities to the onset of GBS.

So where is everybody from that contracted GBS in the winter months?
      I’m 90 miles west of Chicago.
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 3:29 pm

You can’t go by the fact that it’s climate related, because people all around the world in hotter climates get GBS. There is a smaller number of people here on the forums compared to the world, so it could seem that GBS/CIDP’s onset is winter related. You would have to do a world survey to really compare which month of the year GBS rears it’s ugly head more often.

GBS starts for so many different reasons in people:

childbirth
      dental work
      surgery
      vaccines
      upper respiratory infections
      food poisoning from undercooked chicken
      cuts on the body where any bacteria can enter
      flu and plain old colds

The list could go on and on for the reasons.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Brandy is right as mine started in January but in Australia this is the middle of summer.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 10:39 pm

I agree with you, Brandy. Don’t think the onset is weather-related.

I’m in Virginia, and although it is cold in December, it’s not usually very cold. And as you said, while Dec. is winter here, it’s summer in other geographic areas.

Not sure what I was thinking, just happened to notice that lot’s of people seemed to have onset around Christmas holidays. Wonder if stress of holiday prep, parties, shopping etc. could have played any part in this for some…..

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 10:46 pm

November 3, 2003 for me. Out of the hospital the day before Thanksgiving.

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 12:46 am

January 1995 ~ I had the flu really bad during the Christmas holidays . . .

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 10:50 am

My GBS onset was 07/07/05 following a nasty viral illness with a bad sore throat. Perhaps the Dec./Jan. spike in GBS is because that’s the height of the cold and flu season in the Northeast.

Joe

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Mason 7/06

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 7:53 pm

My started in December 2004. I had a tetanus shot in Aug and hepatitis B shot. I had a hepatitis B shot 2nd series in October. I believe my GBS came from an already compromised immune system do to being asthmatic and having many allergies, having been using predisone at times for illnesses. Then I had two shots at the same time and it must have been to much for my system to handle. I shouldn’t have had hepatitis b having allergies to yeast.

Caroline

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 10:00 pm

my gbs started feb 1981 its been 25 years!

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2007 at 12:25 pm

YES !!! two years ago my husband was diag with GBS and one year later he was diag with CIDP.

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Suzanne,

Sorry for my long absence from here! Yeah, I got my GBS in the second week of classes, so early January.

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2007 at 6:20 pm

Hi, Girl, welcome back and thanks for the input!

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2007 at 1:25 pm

I was sick on Feb 26, 2006 (throwing up) and symptoms started soon after that – although I didn’t realize it at the time. Symptoms that sent me to the hospital started on March 8 and then I was diagnosed March 9-10 with IVIG starting on the night of March 10.

Michelle
      GBS/MFS March 2006

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2007 at 4:25 pm

September 2006…a few months before my 21st Birthday.

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 12:30 am

Hi Everybody,

I was reading through this thread very intrigued — it seems that there actually are quite a few folks — at least on this thread — that came down with GBS in the winter months — it would be interesting to know what the national percentage really is. — ??? —

There is a theory about a D deficiency and the flu. ie; Here in the US — our winter / early spring months are the flu season. And it’s also when most folks are not getting any sunshine — which means their vitamin D levels are the lowest.

I’ve been doing a lot of research on vitamin D deficiency the last couple of years. I currently supplement with D3 — trying to get my levels up to 80ng/ml. I have had several 25, hydroxy blood tests to measure my progress.

What I’ve learned is that the scientists believe that a[B] D deficiency alters the immune system [/B]– making us susceptible to a host of illnesses — ranging from the flu — to autoimmmune diseases — to various cancers.

Here are a couple of links about vitamin D deficiency if you want to read more.

[url]http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20061111/bob9.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/[/url]

I don’t have GBS but my brother does — I’ve asked him to ask his doctor for a vitamin D test to see where his level is.

Best wishes…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 8:15 am

Just thought I would mention ….. as said before, mine started in December, but in South Africa December is one of the hottest months.:)

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 12:06 pm

As I had mentioned in a previous post, you cannot go by a National Percentage because this is an International Web site and thousands and thousands of people around the world are never diagnosed or they don’t know about this International web site, so we can’t possibly get the correct percentages.

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Hi Ali…

Yes… I did see your post about being ‘down under’ and Dec being in the middle of your summer. BTW: I’ve been to Sydney…. loved the harbor!

I live in the US Southwest — lots of sunshine here almost year round — and I still measured as deficient in vitamin D. I’ve learned that because I have autoimmune issues (AI) my body uses / needs more vitamin D. That’s probably why I’m D deficient even though I’m exposed to plenty of sunshine.

I think there are many factors involved in contracting an autoimmune illness — ie; genetic predisposition for example. I just wonder if the D deficiency could be one of the ‘triggers’ that allows the AI to then present itself — ??? — dunno — I’m not a scientist or anything… just my thoughts.

Best wishes…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Jann,

Dont mind you getting mixed up … 😉 but Im from South Africa, not Australia :p .

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Hi ‘Ali’…

Oooops — I’m so sorry. uh… I can’t say that I’ve ever been to South Africa, although my husband has.

Jann

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Jann,

Its fine, normally let it go, then people say, “But you should have told me ….” so I thought I would just point you in the right direction. Easy to get confused, they are both way down south.:) And honestly, cant wait to see peoples faces when I become a citizen and say I’m African American 😉 .

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2007 at 8:22 am

Hi Ali,

Oh — so you live in the States now … but you were in South Africa when you contracted GBS? (I don’t know where I got Australia from… ???)

RE: African American: Yea… I thought of that when I saw the actress Charlize Theron (sp) on Oprah. Not the first image you think of when you describe someone as African American.

Take care…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Nate went in the hospital Christmas Day. He was not diagnosed though until about Jan 6th but he was definitely already sick.
      I wonder why so many people get sick in December. Could it be because so many flu shots are given then?
      Nate got a flu shot in November. I’ve always wondered if there is a connection.

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Hi Natesmom,

I’m going out on a limb to say his flu shot probably caused his GBS, the time frame is about right.

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Jann,

Yep, born in South Africa, moved to the States in 1997at age 30. In May we have been in the States for 10 years. We got our green cards a few months ago (phew…… finally!), but have to wait 5 years I believe to get citizenship. I wonder if Charlize Theron will be getting citizenship, unless she has got it already of course ….:cool:, in which case she will already be classified as African American ….. 😉 .

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2007 at 10:12 pm

April fools day 2000 some joke huh??

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Interesting thought from Natesmom about so many cases of GBS in Dec. being possibly related to the fact that flu shots are often given in the late fall……

As it happens, I had a flu shot Nov. 20 and got sick with GBS on Dec. 31.

How about our friends in Australia etc. – what time of year are flu shots typically given there?

I didn’t know until very recently that GBS from flu shots can take several weeks to show up. I believe Donna mentioned it here, and I’ve read about it again since then.

Ali, that cracked me up about you being an African American. Cute!

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2007 at 12:52 pm

[QUOTE=Suzanne]Maybe it’s just because my own GBS started on Dec. 31, but I seem to notice a lot of people posting who mention that their own bout with GBS or CIDP began during the Christmas / New Year’s holiday period.

I’m curious to see how many others have had this experience.

Suzanne[/QUOTE]
      Hi I am brand new to this site and have found other peple with GBS/MF. On December 16 is when I first went to Dr. , I realize now it started earlier but I just didn’t realize what was happening with the holidays here did not pay attention. On 12/17/05 I was airlifter from my local hospital to Mass General in Boston where on 12/18 I was informed I had GBS/MF. At that time my eyes were frozen shut facial no movement, put on a ventalitor and into ICU for a couple fo weeks. They did IVIG right away. I consider myself lucky that my local Dr. (I live in the Western part of Mass) had the foresight to send me to Mass General, at first he thought I was having a stroke but at Mass General after MRI they said no stroke. I was put into the neurology dept. had great Doctors and the neurology dept. was names after Dr.C.M. FIsher, how lucky I was. The only communication I had with my family was I could at least write maybe lopsided but I still could use my hands even though they had tinkles and some numbness, also feet. When I left Mass General I went to a rehab and when I cam home still could not open my eyes. Slowly my left eye very slowly opened, it took my right eye a long long time to open then when it did I could not shut it and had to tape my eyes shut at night. Yes double vision and of this date still have some double vision left (1/30/07) but it gets better. After reading many quotes from others it really helped to see other people have gone through similar problems. I have a love passion with golf and last April went out to the course and tried with an eye patch. I was off balance and played lousy but was happy to be able to be out there. If anyone knows of anyone in my area with MF and wants to talk to someone please let me know. Phyllis Canon at [email]canongolf@verizon.net[/email]

Hope all is well.

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2007 at 1:54 pm

With vaccines it can happen very shortly after receiving one or it can take up to 6-8 weeks or 8-10 weeks I believe. I forgot which one is correct, or maybe the time frame is correct for both. With Frank it happened within 8-10 days following the flu vaccine.

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I had a upper respiratory infection a couple of weeks before I was diagnosed with GBS in September of 1987.

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 1:07 pm

hello there
      was just reading your thread and my gbs started on december 31st 2003 I was admitted to hospital 4th January 2004.
      Michelle

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2007 at 9:34 pm

My GBS symptoms showed up on Dec 13, 2005; 14 days after I received a flu shot while I had a sinus infection. It drove doctors crazy trying to determine what I had until I saw a neurologist on Dec. 28 and admitted that day. Out of the hospital on Jan. 11 2006 and returned to work July 1,2006. I still have pain in feet, legs, hands and arms and have been diagnosised with sleep apnea which require a cpap machine. My neurologist advised that more people come down with GBS in the winter because more viruses spread then.

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2007 at 10:28 pm

My husband was hospitalized with GBS/MF on April 6th, 2006. We were told that was somewhat unusual. We also heard at that time 3 more people in the area were admitted to a different hospital in the area with GBS. The rumor was that there was a common thread to berries imported from Guatamala. We had been eating those berries, however he also had food poisoning 3 weeks before. So, who knows…

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2007 at 9:35 pm

I got my GBS from a flu shot in Nov 06 and started feeling numbness in my feet in Dec Was put in the hospital in Jan 07 (Steve)

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Suzanne,
      Do you think the stress of getting ready for the holidays set you and others up for getting GBS? It is the most stressful time of the year – remembering loved ones that have passed and aren’t with you for the holidays. Also colds and flu season on top of it. Just an idea.

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 6:22 pm

Its funny looking back at how old this thread is. Early in this thread I was guessing about whether nate’s GBS was from the flu shot as Brandy suspected.
      She was right on.
      2 mos ago we got a new Neuro and that’s exactly what he said Nate’s GBS was from. He says there is a tremendous amount of info out there about flu shot GBS.
      He says he can tell its from flu shots by the time line, what it did and the variations.
      Nate got his flu shot in November of 05 and was sick 2 weeks later.
      He was admitted on Christmas day 05 and was transferred to a convalescent hosp a month later and finally discharged Sept 30, 06.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Suzanne,

The title alludes to a book of poetry by Gregory Corso, The Happy Birthday of Death, in case anyone is interested. Doubtful, huh?

My wife’s illness began on July 2, 2006, and as in most instances no “trigger” for the onset could be determined. Perhaps excessive job-related stress that weakened her immune system and left her vulnerable to many possible illnesses? Who knows? It was very hot in England during the time that she became ill, and extremes of weather seem to affect negatively GBSers. Perhaps there is some relationship between weather and the onset of GBS; however, I doubt it would be very significant one.

I remember that in the 19th century those seriously ill with consumption
      (tuberculosis) were often advised to move the drier, more temperate climates.
      It seldom helped. The poet John Keats moved from England to Italy to alleviate his consumption but died shortly thereafter. Modern medicine with its arsenal of antibiotics, etc. has found usually more effective means for treatment. Perhaps the time will come for when more effective means will be found for treating GBS. One can always hope. Hope: a quiet cancer that knows no cure.

Best,
      Don

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2007 at 1:57 pm

My CIDP symptoms started in December of 1998. My feet would tingle as soon as a laid down to go to sleep. Then they tingled all the time. By the end of January I was pretty much confined to bed.

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2007 at 4:45 pm

My 1st sign was in Dec after taking the flu shot the end of Nov. I was put in the hospital on Martin Luther Kings Birthday.I was blessed mine spread slowley.
      (Steve)

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Dec-Jan. I remember wanting to get on the care flight chopper and give kids gifts, if I could have only raised my head. Ho Ho Ho.

• January 17, 2008 at 4:10 pm

[QUOTE=Brandy]You can’t go by the fact that it’s climate related, because people all around the world in hotter climates get GBS. There is a smaller number of people here on the forums compared to the world, so it could seem that GBS/CIDP’s onset is winter related. You would have to do a world survey to really compare which month of the year GBS rears it’s ugly head more often.

GBS starts for so many different reasons in people:

childbirth
      dental work
      surgery
      vaccines
      upper respiratory infections
      food poisoning from undercooked chicken
      [B][COLOR=”Red”]cuts on the body where any bacteria can enter[/COLOR][/B]
      flu and plain old colds

The list could go on and on for the reasons.[/QUOTE]

Brandy, did ya get that particular info somewhere?? I ask because I got a cut on my foot at a beach known (not to me at the time) for its contamination levels. I got sick about 2 weeks later. It seemed like such a longshot for a cause, but I hadnt been sick or anything else.

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 6:32 pm

mine started around october 25th about 10 days after flu shot..deanop

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 7:08 pm

There are so many of us that don’t know for certain what the trigger for our GBS was that I guess it’s natural to continue to cast around to try to find an answer.

It’s a bit like when someone disappears, and the survivors are left to wonder what happened. No closure.

Someday I hope we all get an answer.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 7:48 pm

March for me but in the state of Washington you could call that winter.

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2008 at 7:53 pm

[QUOTE=fairly_odd_mother]Brandy, did ya get that particular info somewhere?? I ask because I got a cut on my foot at a beach known (not to me at the time) for its contamination levels. I got sick about 2 weeks later. It seemed like such a longshot for a cause, but I hadnt been sick or anything else.[/QUOTE]

I don’t remember the exact source of the info I posted, it has been awhile.

But anywhere that bacteria or viruses can enter the body is the chance of the immune system to start fighting any infection that you may have from the original source. The reasons for GBS/CIDP to develope is a mystery.

Your cut on the foot could very well be the reason for your GBS/CIDP to develope, since you weren’t sick previous to the cut on your foot.