Depression and the immune system-a connection to CIDP?

• September 10, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Just read an article, where scientist now think an over active immune system can cause inflammation, depression, and fatigue. If this is actually the case, my immune system has been acting up for the last 30 years, starting with horrible neck pain and fatigue back when I was in grad school.

If the theory pans out, I wonder if past episodes of an over active immune system helps set one up for CIDP later in life?

Additionally, despite my CIDP, since I’ve been on steroids since December and now IVIg, I’m honestly the happiest I’ve ever been.

Makes one wonder if, for instance, had I been treated for inflammation back in the 90s, would it have made a difference today?

Anyway, I’m not sure if it is even pertinent to CIDP, but still worth thinking about.

Current treatment is largely centred around restoring mood-boosting chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin, but experts now think an overactive immune system triggers inflammation throughout the entire body, sparking feelings of hopelessness, unhappiness and fatigue. It may be a symptom of the immune system failing to switch off after a trauma or illness, and is a similar to the low mood people often experience when they are fighting a virus, like flu.

A raft of recent papers, and unexpected results from clinical trials, have shown that treating inflammation seems to alleviate depression.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/09/08/depression-physical-illness-could-treated-anti-inflammatory/