Denied Life Insurance because of CIDP

• March 15, 2010 at 10:18 am

I’m still so angry I could spit nails!

Several months ago, I submitted an application to MetLife for a $250K, 20 year Term Life Insurance policy. After taking their physical exams & jumping through the [I]numerous[/I] hoops involved in their underwriting process, I was informed last week that my application has been denied due to my having CIDP.

No other explanation was given despite my protests that CIDP has [U][B]ZERO[/B][/U] impact on my life expectancy.

As insurance companies routinely share information about applicants, I’m now branded with the stigma of being uninsurable!

To my mind, this underwriting decision seems to be based only upon sheer ignorance, & smacks of outright discrimination toward people who are unfortunate enough to have to suffer with peripheral neuropathy.

Has anyone else encountered this same kind of ridiculous treatment when they’ve applied for life insurance coverage?

KHS730

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm

No, but don’t give up hope. I had a similar problem when applying for a long term care policy for my wife and me. We were turned down by one company after being told what the normal rate would be. We tried another company and were accepted with [B]lower [/B]premiums than the first company. The bottom line is don’t give up hope. Try another company.

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm

jim’s advise is good…

but spitting nail helps– just spit them towards insurers! 😡

best of luck,
      alice

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

[QUOTE=KHS730]
      No other explanation was given despite my protests that CIDP has [U][B]ZERO[/B][/U] impact on my life expectancy.
      KHS730[/QUOTE]

[I]The unfortunate truth is that CIDP does have an impact on life expectancy … rarely, not often.

And that is enough for a turn-down and I’m not surprised. Not pleased, but not surprised.

Certainly it wouldn’t hurt to keep looking. You could come up a winner![/I]

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Insurance agents and Lawyers…support the effort to send them back to their home planet….URANUS! :p

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]Insurance agents and Lawyers…support the effort to send them back to their home planet….URANUS! :p[/QUOTE]

[I]Always loved — still do — Tickle Me Elmo.[/I] 😀

• March 15, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Isn’t there some type of insurance offered by aarp when you turn 55 that they cannot turn you down for? You might be able to save more than whaqt you would get for a policy if you are a risk, compared to what you would have to pay in. What about Roth IRA’s and there is no penalty if you do not draw on it unlike a reg. ira. We tried to increase a Gerber Life Policy we purchased for each of the children when they were born should they not be able to get insur once they get married, my older son was approved, Kevin was denied. Good luck, and as Jim said, keep trying, maybe you will get a wet behind the ears person reviewing your claim

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm

but they Do have web sites that aren’t so complientary about the whole other scheme of things… As in only can be a valid claim if attacked by a lightening stroke from the sky and there are ten witnesses. NCOA, National Council on the aging is a far better source for the ‘basics’. Check out the NCOA and see what’ they’ve to offer. They are a solid org and a good non-profit. And not a membership org ‘advocating’ for the RP’s according tho their [own] estimations of direction. Other than any membership perceptions.
      Jim is right? Keep shopping. But don’t be surprised about first time fees…especially these days?

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Elmo –

I couldn’t agree more!:)

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

My understanding (insurance wise) is that CIDP cost you 10 years on your life expectancy. I read that somewhere. NOT DOCUMENTED. But reliable. I also have Sleep apnea, I think that is another 10 years off the old life expectancy chart. Add to that my BMI is over 26 (thanks to prednisone) (another 10).

I am 51 years old now. Add in my 30 years for insurance behavior. I guess I am ready to die.

HA! HA! HA!

I’ll bet I live another 35 or 40 years.

By the way, I was turned down for life insurance as well. That was 4 years ago.

Dick S