decompression surgery

• June 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Has anyone here had decompression surgery for their neuropathy? It is for compressed nerves which is caused from imflammation. they are doing if for idiopathic and diabetic neuropathy—and diabetic is auto–immune??? It would be like carpel or tarsal tunnel which causes pain and weakness. I e-mailed a place in MA that advertises it with many questions—haven’t heard back yet. Of coarse i’m thinking you would want to have the underlying cause treated first, otherwise the neuropathy would return. Or maybe in cidp the nerves are not compressed??? Will find out if they e-mail me back i guess.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Dear Lori, in CIDP the nerves are not ‘compressed’ the fatty sheild that protects the nerves, the myelin sheathing, has fallen off. Diabetic neuropathy is different, the nerves have not demylinated as in CIDP.

I don’t think that will help you at all.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2011 at 11:02 pm

No, I did not have decompression surgery for idiots neuropathy. (where else does a word like idopathic come from?) It reminds me of pathetic, anyway. That is, those who cannot come up with a definitive diagnosis………..oh, nevermind.

Yes, I did have decompression surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) twice. And, it was suggested that I ‘would likely benefit from a bilateral ulnar transposition.’

Uh, yeah, no thanks. Following the dramatic failure of the first decompression surgery, all the wizards met together and said oh, golly, let’s do this again. Worse yet- are you ready? They scheduled a third procedure!

I refused to even consider the ulnar transpositions. Transposition? Means they poke a hole in the underside of your arm in the elbow area and move the nerve away from the structure that is supposedly pinching it.

Hence the need to see a neurologist who specializes in something besides referring for surgery.

I like what ncsmom said- covers it all pretty well.

• June 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

The dymylinating part is why I was wondering about it—When i asked my current neurologist a few months back (after ruling out paraneoplastic,which she originally considered) what she would consider my “diagnosis” she answered” VGKC antibody induced chronic inflammator polyneuropathy” I replied that she left out the D–and she feels strongly– she said she didnt feel it was dymylinating?? (The vgkc is medical for potassium antibodies) I know you knew that Yuehan–lol. Lori

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm

[QUOTE=yuehan]No, I did not have decompression surgery for idiots neuropathy. (where else does a word like idopathic come from?) ‘/QUOTE]

You have a way with language I must say. Neuropathy comes from the greek language. Neuro (nerve) pathy (ailment, something you undergo). Idio = your (its) self, so idiopathic is therefore something you spontaneously undergo (i.e. it sprung up by itself. Does sound idiotic to create it by yourself but I suppose any auto-immune (i.e. the immune system attacks what it’s supposed to defend) is kind of idiotic.

I manage to attack myself on three fronts at the moment (nerves, testines and bone cartilage) – Big fun!! Guess they should lock me up, don’t you?
      (no offense meant Yuehan)

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm

catherina,

No, no offense taken. “We” must maintain a sense of humor throughout these ordeals.

Thanks for the info on idiopathic.

And, oh, yes, welcome to the forum. Good luck to you.