December Holidays

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2008 at 3:47 pm

December 3 is: [B][U]National Roof Over Your Head Day [/U][/B]

Today is National Roof Over Your Head Day. It is a day of appreciation for the things we have, starting with the roof over our heads.

For most of us, a roof over our head signifies living in a house that protects us from the elements, keeping us warm, dry, and cozy. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky as you and I. There are many homeless people right here in our country. Some people live in a cardboard box on the street…… literally. There are millions of people around the world who live in poverty or disaster areas, and do not have a home to kees them comfortable and safe.

Spend a few minutes appreciating your roof and home today, along with the many thins you have. And, also make a contribution to a homeless shelter, so others can come in out of the rain.

Happy National Roof Over Your Head Day!

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Thanks Jim! So true! So true! I have been donating $10.00 a month for a year now to the Food Bank in my State. So many going hungry too! I might not be able to give them a roof but at least I can help feed a few in my area or where ever it’s needed. The Red Cross too has been getting donations from here and there. Disasters in our country I end up giving to! Thanks for sharing! I like reading your Holidays and seeing your funny photo’s!

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2008 at 1:45 pm

December 4 is: [B][U]Wear Brown Shoes Day [/U][/B]

Wear Brown Shoes Day is today. Now, let me see… what color shoes should I wear today?????

WOW! It is very easy to participate in this special day. Just dust off that seldom worn pair of brown shoes, and put ’em on your feet. Brown boots, loafers, or any other brown colored footwear will do. Don’t tiptoe around. Wear them wherever you go.

In case you didn’t know… the sock color of the day is……..brown.

Have a happy Wear Brown Shoes Day.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2008 at 9:27 am

That might be why my husband got a log dropped on his foot by his clumsy wife. He was not wearing brown shoes! LOL! He wore black ones and they gave him bad luck! ROFL! Hugs:D 😀 😀

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2008 at 7:00 pm

December 5th is: [B][U]Repeal Day [/U][/B]

Repeal Day is today. It commemorates the repeal of the 18th Amendment. Once more, Americans were free to buy, sell, and consume alcoholic beverages. I’ll drink to that!

In the early 1900’s, many of the good people of America believed that alcohol was the root cause of many social ills in the country. Prohibition on a national scale, was promoted in part by the American Christian Women’s Temperance Union. This movement grew in popularity. Ultimately, the United States Congress passed the 18th amendment on January 16, 1919. The 16th Amendment prohibited the manufacture, transportation, sale and consumption of alcohol.

The ban on alcohol did little to improve the social conditions of the country, or to reduce crime. Rather, crime increased as racketeers got into the the business of making and selling alcohol. The popularity of the 18th Amendment waned. More and more people and groups sought it’s repeal.

Congress passed the 21st Amendment, effectively repealing the 18th Amendment. On December 5, 1933, the State of Utah voted it’s approval of the 21st Amendment, achieving the 3/4 of states need to approve this amendment. Thus on this day, the 18th Amendment was formally repealed.

Important Note: While Repeal Day certainly is a day to have a drink in celebration of our rights and freedoms, we should always remember to drink responsibly

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2008 at 12:12 pm

December 6 is: [B][U]Put on Your Own Shoes Day [/U][/B]

Put on Your Own Shoes Day is today.

As we researched this special day, we kept on asking Why, why why?……. why does this day exist? We found no answer.

We understand the meaning behind Wear Brown Shoe Day, celebrated just a few days ago. But, what could possibly cause someone to create Put on Your Own Shoes Day….hmmmmm. Perhaps, it was created by young mothers teaching their children how to put their shoes on for the first time!?

Well, regardless of what you think of the special day, we celebrate all of the holidays and special days. We are going to put our own shoes on today, and enjoy doing so. As for you….put your stinky toes into your own shoes!

Have a happy Put on Your Own Shoes Day.