dealing with colds/flu in recovery

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum. I came down with MFS/GBS in April of this year, and have been dealing with extreme fatigue, and residual tingling/burning sensations ever since. This has been unpleasant, but some reasonably steady improvement has been booked, until last week. I came down with a cold/flu for the first time since I became sick in April, and I am wondering about the effects on my immune system. I usually fight off illness quite easily, but I am not getting any better after a week, and the fatigue has become overwhelming. Could anyone share their own experiences with catching colds/viruses post-mfs/gbs? Do you know any details on what exactly happens to your immune system? I didn’t receive IVIG or any other treatment as my MFS leveled off by itself while I was hospitalized, and am presently taking Gabapentine for the nerve pain symptoms. Many thanks

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2008 at 9:20 am

Hi MaryB and welcome to the forum

I had GBS/Miller Fisher in May 08. I had my first cold and sore throat at the beginning of October, almost 5 months after the onset of the illness. It took a longtime to recover, the cold and the sore throat lasted about a week, longer than my ‘usual’ prior GBS but I felt weaker and more fatigued for at least 2 weeks, maybe even a bit longer. My doctor gave me a antibiotics for the first week. He said that just because I had GBS he will give me antibiotics for colds/flu for the first year of recovery just to be on the safe side. I told him I was scared of getting sick in the winter and he advised I take vitamin C and iron. He also suggested that I cover my mouth and nose with a scarf when I’m on a bus or in the underground so I don’t get germs from the other people!

About our immune system, I read a lot of posts in this forum that say that our immune system is not weakened. GBS was caused by a mistake of the immune system, so in a way the immune system was actually quite strong but it hit the wrong target, us! I’m sure there are people in the forum who can explain this better.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2008 at 10:03 am

I have had two colds since getting GBS. The first one was very mild and lasted about three days. The second cold was also mild but lasted about one week. I take Vitamin c, d, b6, E, and a multivitamin.
      I also have read that our immune system became overactive and attack our body but can’t explain it.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I personally have one right now that is kicking my butt. I can only sit up for ten to fifteen minutes work or walk about 5- 10 minutes before getting extremly tired. my head hurts sooo bad had a fever and it has gone and headache went with it until last night it is back with a vengance. do whatever you can to prevent yourself fron getting the cold/flu this year. Like hand washings vit c etc this is miserable I am going to the doctor again i feel like I live there it is aweful. 😮