daughter recently dianosed with gbs for the second time

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm

hello 2 weeks ago our 18 year old daughter devoloped symptoms of gbs .the first time she had it she was 8.she has been in the hospital for rthe last 17 days…when we first took her in to the emergency room her and my wife told the docs its gbs….well she had no symptoms but could feel herself getting weaker and new what it was….the docs admitted her so they could observe her condition.it was almost 25 hrs before we saw a nuerologist again….she had 7 treatments of ivig and moved out of intensive care…..now today she is back in icu receiving number 8.are there any studies about progression with treatment vs without?any new treatments besides ivivg or plasma fereces(sp)?any ideas will b welcomed and thank you so much…..

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Welcome to the forum. When I came down with this stuff I too asked the question . The treatments are given and usually the symtoms continue to progress. The nuros will check constantly for weekness and wait x amount of days. They really dont know when it will stop. She has youth on her side for sure.

• August 15, 2017 at 6:06 am

I was 12 years old when I got Gbs. They did 2 spinal taps b4 determining it was gbs. It was in 1974, only treatment available was physical and occupational therapy. I’m 55 years old now. 8 years of PT and OT all through my school years. I agree, she has youth on her side and advanced treatment available.
      I Wish her a speedy recovery!