Cymbalta for nerve pain/side effects

• May 25, 2017 at 10:37 am

My doctor gave me Cymbalta for the burning in my feet. I had been on Gabapentin, but it provides me with no relief.

So, I took my first 30mg pill of Cymbalta around 5am before going to work.

By 7 am I was so sleepy and groggy I could barely function. I was in a stupor.

The effects didn’t wear off until about 8 in the evening.

And there was the dry mouth. I drank at least a gallon of water.

I’d rather deal with the burning feet than feel like I’m doped up.

Anyone else experience this with Cymbalta?

• May 25, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Extreme blurred vision, Terrible time sleeping, I was told by family members I would get up and walk around the house for hrs. I would wake up late for work and feel terrible.

I quit after 3 weeks.

• May 25, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I have all thise same side effects from Cymbalta, lyrica, and Neurontin. Plus extreme dizziness. Never again. Fortunately IVIG has taken away my nerve pain. I wish the same for others!

Sandy

• May 25, 2017 at 4:16 pm

I still feel like hell nearly 36 hours after that one pill. My entire system feels like I’m recovering from a vodka hangover. Good thing it was only a $1.82 to fill the prescription. When the cure is worse than the ailment, it isn’t worth it.

I searched the forum and some say the effects go away after 3 weeks, while others said it always made them sleepy.

I can’t go for 3 weeks like a zombie. Some meds give you a buzz in a good way, the Cymbalta definitely gives me a bad, dopey feeling that, at least yesterday, depressed my reflexes, made me horribly tired to the point I left work early, and it darkened my mood.

I’ve never had good luck with “pain killers”. Dulling your senses rather than dulling your pain has never seemed like a reasonable path.

• June 26, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I’ve been taking Cymbalta since recovery for 17 years now with no side effects or problems. Taking one pill and giving up isn’t giving it much of chance.

• jk
      June 26, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Over the years the doctors had me try: Cymbalta, Effexor, Celexa and Lexapro.

Not counting Neurontin and Lyrica and others I’ve forgotten. They are in a different class of drugs. It’s a personal thing with me. When a drug knocks my brain for a loop, I’m not going to take it.

I agree with BryanF that any drug that knowingly goes up inside my brain and screws with it’s normal operation is not a reasonable path. Oh, by the way, there are serious withdrawal symptoms with Cymbalta. Sounds the same as illegal drugs doesn’t it?

Cymbalta comes with the FDA following warnings

1. Liver Disease Warning-
      2. Misleading Portion of Ads
      3. Urinary Retention Warning
      4. Withdrawal Symptoms Complaints
      5. Advisory Committee Review- Because of reports of serious side effects like liver damage and skin disease
      6. Blood Pressure Warning
      7. Serotonin Syndrome Warning
      8. Includes a black box warning

read about it here: https://www.drugwatch.com/cymbalta/

• June 26, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Thanks JK

• June 28, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I was having horrible insomnia before my GBS. Cymbalta was part of the regimen they put me on in the hospital. I took one in the morning…I have been phasing off of it now. (Every other day.). I have had mild sleep problems at night, so I think it was helping me sleep, but didn’t make me feel groggy or doped up. Medications are so different from person to person. I was told Lyrica made you sleepy but one doctor said most patients will adjust and no longer be drowsy with it..I took one at night when the nerve pain was at its worst in the hospital. Maybe try Cymbalta at night? I am in the process of phasing off all my meds as I am customarily a person who takes nothing. But when my nerve pain was severe I had to get some relief. I hope you can find something that gives you relief w/out worse side effects!

• November 8, 2017 at 7:55 am

Cymbalta for three years. There is a transition phase at first – mine was about two weeks. Then, I️ was fine. I’ve always had sleep problems, so my main concern was dizziness and dry mouth. Those went away. My dose is 60 (2 pills a day). Tried switching once and won’t do that again. It also helps manage depression. Hang in there!