Cool feature of the new forum software

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 9:33 am

Dear Friends:

I don’t know if any of you have seen this feature yet, but if you PM a person who is on the forum, a pop-up will appear and instantly let that person know a PM has arrived. You can almost use it as a kind of chat room but will need to erase messsages after 50 PMs. This could be a pretty good thing to round up people for a chatroom session or to just say ‘hi’ in real time.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 9:38 am

Dear Friends:

Ooops, forgot one thing. In order for it to work, you have to go to your “USER CP’ (I wonder if that stands for Control Panel or Command Post? Command Post sounds cooler so that is what I’m going to call it.), then click on ‘Edit Options”, then enable “Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up”.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Lee,

Did you realize that this feature was available on the old forum?

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Dear Ali:

Errrr………. No. Does that make me dense?

Well at least everyone will know about it now so that it will be easier to get people into the chatroom, assuming of course the chatroom shows something other than that coffee cup.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 3:44 pm

No it doesnt make you dense! ๐Ÿ˜€ Just wondered it you knew. it is a really nice feature.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 7:02 pm

Dear Ali:

Thankyou. You are just too kind.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 7:12 pm

I didn’t know this message service was here. I did have it enabled on the last 2 old forums. LOL
      But thank’s for reminding me that I have to reset my fields! ๐Ÿ™‚
      KC

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 7:46 pm

Dear Lee,

You are most welcome :p . Seriously, I wasnt trying to be funny when I asked that question, just amazed that you hadnt seen it before.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 10:00 pm

Hi,
      When I started to read, I was wondering if anyone was going to be brave enough to point out the PM pop-up was on the old forum.

Any word on WHEN OR IF we will have a chatroom? And any word WHEN OR IF we will be able to put an avatar under our username?

One more, I see that some of you are putting images in your posts, though small ones, does that work now? I could only do a link.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 10:50 pm

Liz and Lee,

This is my brave face ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2006 at 11:30 pm

Yes, CP stands for Control Panel.

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 3:51 pm

When the forum has a “grab me a beer from the fridge feature” then I will be impressed ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=Jerimy]When the forum has a “grab me a beer from the fridge feature” then I will be impressed :)[/QUOTE]

Now that’s a good forum Jer. I’ll join if I can bring my wine.:) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 7:16 pm

Well now I truly know Jerimy is back!

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 8:47 pm

Dear Jerimy:

The ‘Grab the beer from the Fridge’ is available on the Mac. Unfortunately, since all the features on the forum aren’t up yet, it only gets light beer.:mad: Just another thing we will have to talk to the administrator.

Light beer is like making love in a canoe.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 9:16 pm

Dear Lee,

One would think that at 39 I would understand what that meant ……. ummmm, well I dont. Am I wet behind the ears? or is it a thing guys will understand, or …. something a canoe would? Oh, now I get it, its something people doing it in a canoe would understand. ๐Ÿ˜€ Better not reply with an answer for fear of being banned from the site.:eek:

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 10:02 pm

Let me get this straight, when the board is finished Bill Gates (windows) will server full bodied beer, Steve Jobs (Mac) will serve Lite beers and Tux (linux) will serve wings?

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:30 am

Thanks Lee I spit Coke on my monitor reading that lol.

[quote=Lee Spurgeon]Dear Jerimy:

The ‘Grab the beer from the Fridge’ is available on the Mac. Unfortunately, since all the features on the forum aren’t up yet, it only gets light beer.:mad: Just another thing we will have to talk to the administrator.

Light beer is like making love in a canoe.

Lee[/quote]

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:31 am

Honey I’m home.

[quote=ali]Well now I truly know Jerimy is back![/quote]

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:59 am

Dear KC1:

Until Microsoft works out the Australian bug, I’m not sure you will see the fetch a beer feature any time soon. As you probably already know, the minimum size of a can of beer in Austalia is a 55 gallon barrel. The microprocessors need to be industrial hardened for hefting Australian beer cans. The people at microsoft are offering a software patch but most think it will just slow down the system to the point where it would just be faster to fire up the old forklift to get your can of Fosters to the living room.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Dear Friends:

I think I have solved the light beer bug. Two words…..refrigerator magnets. That’s right, our refrigerator has 230 pounds of magnets on it holding up art work, good report cards, local GBS support group meeting announcements, birthday lists, and pizza coupons that expired in 2001. The electromagnetic interference messes up the wireless network.

I’m just wondering why there isn’t some sort of post from the administrator that could help us work out these bugs.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2006 at 7:23 am

of course, the Microsnot patch will be an automatic download that will require a reboot of the machine after installation. It’ll probably flash a pop-up box right in the middle of typing so that enter is pressed right about that time which will be in mid-gulp (of beer) and cause a major eructation! Oh, I meant microsoft ๐Ÿ˜Ž (really …)
      Linux or die! ๐Ÿ˜€

[url]http://www.computergear.com/linfistshir.html[/url]

[url]http://www.computergear.com/friendonlett.html[/url]

[url]http://www.computergear.com/delwintshir.html[/url]

[url]http://www.computergear.com/usebesttshirt.html[/url]

[url]http://www.computergear.com/linuxboxtshirt.html[/url]

[url]http://www.computergear.com/tuxtravmugdo.html[/url]

Sorry folks, I just had a geek moment ๐Ÿ˜ฎ