Compression Dressings/Support Hose?

• Anonymous
      December 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Hi,

The nerve pain in my arms has increased dramatically over the past few weeks, along with increased weakness in my left arm. Now, it’s all I can do to hold a blow dryer over my head for the two minutes it takes to dry my short hair. :rolleyes: Percocet seems to be limited in its ability to control this type of pain.

We both think that the increase in pain probably means that the demyelination is spreading along the nerve pathways. I’ve called for an appt with one of the neurologists I’ve seen so far, and they can actually get me in within about ten days, and have put me on the cancellation list.

My question is this: last night, while my wife and I were talking about this, she suggested that some compression sleeves (a la Allen Iverson :p ) might help with the pain/discomfort. I’ve never read anything that suggested using them, so I was wondering what you all have experienced? Has anyone ever tried support hose or compression dressings on your legs/arms to help with nerve pain? If you have any experiences, good or bad, I’d appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks,

Elmo

• December 18, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Elmo,

I notice a real reduction in foot pain when I wear diabetic socks. They help at night too. I buy the cheap ones from Walmart.

Among my compromises with CIDP I cut my hair short enough to air dry. I found hair dryers to be especially difficult to hold. And it is actually funny now to think of asking my thumbs to help wind hair on rollers.

I’m glad you found a neurologist with a timely appointment available.
      Good luck,
      Flossie

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2009 at 2:42 am

I cut my hair and my daughters for the same reason and folding laundry, forget about it.

• Anonymous
      December 21, 2009 at 3:28 pm

compression socks seem to help my legs feel better. It certainly helps with the fluid retention in the legs.

I hope it works for you.

Dick S