Clinical Study Showing Probiotics Slow Multiple Sclerosis and other Neural Diseases

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I just read this off of one of the ALS forums where the posted story showed where scientists at Lund University Sweden showed that when they gave Probiotics (Lactobacilli) to the mice with Multiple Sclerosis and other inflammatory autoimmune diseases in the CNS and [B]Periphery (CIDP) [/B] that the probiotics modified IL-10 which is a primary Interleukin that tells the T-Cells to attack in autoimmune disorders as they went into remission.

Anyway i just wanted to pass the info along.

• February 3, 2010 at 12:48 pm

This is the connection I am trying to make with LEAKY GUT.. Keep you posted on when we go to the doc on the 13th of Feb.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Definitely keep us posted DKM !!

I wonder about a possible Celiac connection too as there is alot of info out on the net about it and while i don’t ever remember having problems with grains when i was in my teens/twenties etc. however over the last 7 or 8 years whenever i eat wheat or oats (oatmeal) my intestines burn for hours and sometimes days as i thought it was the fiber scrubbing however i now believe its inflammation in the gut and so all this has me pondering about celiac or grain intolerance.

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

wow interesting info on probiotics as Ryan’s chiropractor has suggested he start taking it. But since he has just started cytoxan we need to talk to the oncologist and neurologist first.
      wouldn’t it be great if probiotics worked to put CIDPer’s into remission?

• February 3, 2010 at 9:53 pm

There were several articles that I read that say if you cure the leaky gut, you can put autoimmunes into remission. My purely mom thought is this…if the gut is healthy no longer allowing stool to leak into the blood stream, there will be nothing for the immune system to fight. There are several causes of LG, bacteria from a stomach born illness, or in 80% of cases candida. Either way, the toxins leak into the blood stream through spaces between the villi, causing an immune response as well as kidney, liver function being over worked. Another interesting point for those who suffer headaches, poisons in the blood from candida turn into alcohol and the fermentation has something to do with neuro toxins causing migranes. I am really stressed today, Kevie is not doing well, not cidp related (maybe) but mostly LG I think. So my thoughts are erratic and unorganized. I am just so excited about the possibility. Additionally, today I got the IG Living magazine and there it was, an article about mice who were induced w/Lupus/ms and were given probiotics and such, went into remission once the gut was healthy. It is important to note that LG could be caused from stress, aleve, motrin, giardia etc… as well, it could be fungal, therefore necessitating nystatin, or western medicine. This particular natropath..spelling says it can be cured totally natural, no west med. But I reAD another natrop. view and he said if it is in the biofilms of the intestinal linig, wetern medicine may be needed. I also read that if you take a round of antibiotics, it is wise to follow with three months of asidophyllus..spelling. Remember, these are things I have read, you have to do your research and make your own decisions, I don’t want to imply anything to people it is just something I am exploring. BTW, interestingly, the stem cell protocol calls for intense fungal treatment EVEN though cytoxan wipes out everything. Either it does not wipe out fungus, or maybe they already know fungus in the body is an issue to the immune system and the response it produces.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 12:27 am

Very interesting the probiotic info. My husband who has CIDP has always had gastro-intestinal problems. I do give him probiotics when things flare up but I think I will start giving them regularly to him. It is important to buy really good quality probiotics if you use them. Not the on the shelf Costco type.

I have long give daily probiotics to our horses to help prevent colic which is a big killer of horses. It stabilizes their GI tract. So if it is good for them, it will be good for hubby .

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hey Laurel, DKM and Rhomcc ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Well let me state that i doubt that taking Probiotics will heal us from CIDP however i found the study interesting as i researched more of it and what i’ve discovered is that IL-10 which was raised by taking Probiotics in those clinical studies is a powerful Cytokine inhibitor and when the Cytokines are raised in the body that signals the T-Cells to go on the attack.

So i am going to purchase a good probiotic and also change my diet for the better as i’ve been eating alot of junk food over the last several years as what do i have to lose after years of having this disease.

• February 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Its not so much that probiotics will cure us, but that if there is a candida or paqrasite in the gut, it causes a constant trigger to the immune system. If you can remove the candida or bacteria, you remove the trigger. If it is candida, it will take more than probiotics, nystatin is western medicine, and obviously the natropath will give whateber they do.. We go on the 13th for a series of blood/stool tests that the natro ordered, some related to celiacs and other allergies, others to candida. I am going to copy them soon. It is so complicated. For the most part, besides the candida and bacteria, gluten seems to be the culprit. Especially if the leak is bacterial, as the gluten/gliadin sensitvity causes the mucosal lining to thin which causes the LG. People with low Iga tend to have this sensitivity a low Iga is connected to the production of Iga in saliva which helps to line the wall of the intest w/mucos, or the protective lining if you will.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I had a sinus infection that they couldn’t take care of about a year ago, and as a result, took about 6 courses of different antibiotics over a three month period. As most of you are probably aware, that will really mess up your “gut”. So I started taking a product called “Align”, which is supposed to be an “upper-end” probiotic. Have stayed on it ever since.

It will be interesting to follow the reports about this study…I kind of wonder if a particular type of PB will prove to be most effective.

On a side note…I also have had issues with Diverticulitis in the past. John mentioned oatmeal and fiber…there’s almost NO fiber in oatmeal; in fact, it’s one of the worst things you can eat if you have diverticulitis. Learned that diverticulitis is a “man-made” illness…there are NO recorded incidences of it prior to the invention of the steel rolling mill. Current food processing techniques for flour, etc., all use a rolling mill to “glomerate” fibers until they are unusable by the body. Whole grains are the only way to go!

Elmo

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Elmo I am curious about your oatmeal comments. Hubby(who has diverticulitis) was told to eat things like cut oats for breakfast which is high fiber, and he takes metamucil regularly. He seems to run into problems with steak and nuts. And since he has been eating his oatmeal each morning and taking the metamucil he has only had one minor flare up.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 3:24 pm

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]Its not so much that probiotics will cure us, but that if there is a candida or paqrasite in the gut, it causes a constant trigger to the immune system. If you can remove the candida or bacteria, you remove the trigger. If it is candida, it will take more than probiotics, nystatin is western medicine, and obviously the natropath will give whateber they do.. We go on the 13th for a series of blood/stool tests that the natro ordered, some related to celiacs and other allergies, others to candida. I am going to copy them soon. It is so complicated. For the most part, besides the candida and bacteria, gluten seems to be the culprit. Especially if the leak is bacterial, as the gluten/gliadin sensitvity causes the mucosal lining to thin which causes the LG. People with low Iga tend to have this sensitivity a low Iga is connected to the production of Iga in saliva which helps to line the wall of the intest w/mucos, or the protective lining if you will.
      Dawn[/QUOTE]

Dawn

I didn’t know about IgG being in the saliva as that was interesting to know about. Also my tongue has had a coat of white on it for years as i assume that might be ”Thrush” a form of candida?

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Laurel,

Like CIDP, as I understand it, everyone responds differently to different foods with Diverticulitis. I can eat all the nuts I want…I don’t seem to have a big problem with those getting trapped. Fruits, including strawberries, have never bothered me, either. Doesn’t really matter for me…if I get constipated whatever I’ve eaten can make its way into those little diverticula, which causes problems. So, eating a healthy ration of fiber every day helps prevent that. I kind of look at it like that cereal commercial…I could eat 100 bowls of “blah, blah, blah”, or I could eat one bowl of “whatever”. I look for whatever packs the biggest punch, while staying “reasonably” healthy.

I had never heard of “cut oats” before you mentioned it. Google leads me to believe that “cut oats” are probably healthier and contain more fiber than “rolled oats”, which is what is primarily known as Oatmeal where I live. Cut oats, it seems, are just that…cut or chopped pieces of oat “groat”, while “rolled oats” have been pulverized under a steel rolling mill, shedding the outer hull and making them quicker to cook and easier to chew.

My doctor told me, and I found it supported on the web, that “whole grains” are the best advice for diverticulitis sufferers. For example, I just checked my cupboard…the Quaker Rolled Oats that I have only contain 2 grams of fiber per serving. The Shredded Wheat cereal that sits right next to it contains 6 grams…three times as much! The FiberOne cereal next to that has 14 grams of fiber per serving. FiberOne Chewy Bars have 9 grams of fiber per bar. As I’ve never heard of cut oats, I checked the web…McCann’s Cut Oats have 4 grams per serving. And, to be honest, I’m somewhat prejudiced…I HATE OATMEAL…unless it’s in cookies or some such thing. But, as a breakfast food…I’d rather starve! ๐Ÿ˜€

I over-stated my point, but obviously, there are much higher fiber alternatives to rolled oats. One doctor basically told me that rolled oats can sometimes act almost like paste and actually cause bowel difficulties. I also want to be clear…I’m not saying FiberOne is healthier for you than cut oats. FiberOne bars have a lot of “crap” in them like HF Corn Syrup, etc., but when you have to “fiber up” quickly, they’re worth it, to me.

The steel rolling mill made smooth white flours possible. People no longer needed to eat heavy, brown bread…they could have sandwiches on something very similar to marshmallows! It became very popular in America, England, Australia, etc., which is why those countries lead the pack in Diverticulitis. It’s almost unheard of in “third-world countries”. The processing, though, eliminated a lot of the rough stuff in our “roughage”! :p

Sorry if I over-stated my point.

Elmo

• February 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Hi CIDP Guy,
      The article said IgA is in the saliva that is connected to the mucos in the intestinal lining. The tongue thing is interesting. Kevie gets this patch of fungus on his face by his nose. the derm. told us to use lamisil, it does make it go away but it comes back. The natro said if it is on the skin, it is in the gut!!??? I am still trying to figure this out, so many docs with so many thoughts!! I just try to research and try to figure out which way to go?
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm

[QUOTE=CIDPGuy]Dawn
      Also my tongue has had a coat of white on it for years as i assume that might be ”Thrush” a form of candida?[/QUOTE]

[I]Probably just the normal tongue coating. If it leads to serious bad breath problems, a tongue scraper is advised … though that is something I somewhat shudder to think about.[/I]

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]Hi CIDP Guy,
      The article said IgA is in the saliva that is connected to the mucos in the intestinal lining. The tongue thing is interesting. Kevie gets this patch of fungus on his face by his nose. the derm. told us to use lamisil, it does make it go away but it comes back. The natro said if it is on the skin, it is in the gut!!??? I am still trying to figure this out, so many docs with so many thoughts!! I just try to research and try to figure out which way to go?
      Dawn[/QUOTE]
      LOL, thanks as i stand corrected as i see it’s IgA and not IgG in the saliva ๐Ÿ˜€ .

harry

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]

It will be interesting to follow the reports about this study…I kind of wonder if a particular type of PB will prove to be most effective.

Elmo[/QUOTE]

Elmo

Although i’m not sure which would be best however when i went back and re-read the study it mentioned L paracasei and L plantarum as the two most beneficial in the study as these are of the Lactobacilli strain grouping. I see that these two strains are in many probiotic brands on the market.

harry

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2010 at 12:11 am

Thanks for the fiber info. Elmo. I will make use of some of your suggestions especially the Fiber One chewy bars. My husband just loves his morning oatmeal, and so do I. We were raised on it–with a few raisins and brown sugar. Yum!
      Laurel