CIDPer with the flu

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Hi fellow CIDPers,
      I have a nasty bout of the flu/virus at the moment -I have not had a bad virus for a couple of years and am a bit worried it will cause my CIDP to play up. I’m feeling pretty weak – but then again a virus will do that to anyone!
      Does anyone know if IVIG helps knock the virus on the head – if it’s the virus that is causing the CIDP to act up?
      Thank you
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Hi

Good question!!! The IVIG is composed of white blood cells, the cells will
      fight infection and viruses, so I’m sure that it wouldn’t activate your CIDP,
      but as you said, any flu or virus will make you feel weak and sluggish.

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2007 at 10:40 pm

Kaz,

Totally unrelated question, ….. are you on Imuran?

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2007 at 12:54 am

My daughter has had a few viruses while on IVIG. With her she gets more aches & pains, gets tired faster & takes a little longer to get over the bug than it does everyone else.

Dr’s say that a virus can make your CIDP symptoms flair. I’m not so sure that it’s the CIDP or her body reacting to yet another thing it has to fight.

Hope you feel better soon. Get lots of rest & drinks LOTS of fluids.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2007 at 1:21 pm

[QUOTE=Kazza]Hi fellow CIDPers,
      I have a nasty bout of the flu/virus at the moment -I have not had a bad virus for a couple of years and am a bit worried it will cause my CIDP to play up. I’m feeling pretty weak – but then again a virus will do that to anyone!
      Does anyone know if IVIG helps knock the virus on the head – if it’s the virus that is causing the CIDP to act up?
      Thank you
      Kazza[/QUOTE]

When was your last IVIG? You could be having “Flu Like Symptoms” from the IVIG, that is fairly common to feel like the Flu has attacked your body after an IVIG treatment.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Brandy and ask IF you have had IVIG recently…the ‘flu-like’ symptoms it can give you are going to be DEFINITELY flu-like up to a week/10 days later. IF you are ‘flu-ey’ right before you are to have a scheduled infusion, well, let your infusion folks AND your prescribing doc know about it rite away. They mite delay a future infusion until they do the usual tests, such as blood and urine and the like. Or, it could be the introduction of a new medication into your life? Just things to think about. Also, to be super Safe about.
      I hope this all is useful, and keep us all up to date on how you are doing!

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2007 at 6:51 am

Hi All,
      Thanks for your replies. No, I’m not on any medication at the moment or had IVIG. My first attack of CIDP about 4 years ago came after a bout of the flu.
      Also, my second attack ( about 2 years ago) did as well. So, seeing as I am unwell with a virus-like illness you can imagine what I’m thinking – “Oh No! I hope it doesn’t bring on another attack of CIDP.” So I thought I’d ask to see if anyone with CIDP had benefited from a dose of IVIG after a CIDP relapse that may have been made worst/caused by a bout of the ‘flu.
      Thanks
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2007 at 12:52 pm

[QUOTE=Kazza]…
      Does anyone know if IVIG helps knock the virus on the head Kazza[/QUOTE]
      Kazza,
      IVIG is the preferred treatment for patients with immunodeficiencies. This means that the antibodies in the infusion help fight off infections. From that I conclude that in our case IVIG is effective against foreign pathogens, too. I doubt that it is as powerful as our own immune system. But I am just guessing here.