CIDP’er with swelling in salivary glands?

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2009 at 4:59 am

Hi all,
      As you probably know I’ve had CIDP for quite a while. Well anyway, I noticed yesterday that my face was a bit swollen on either side of my jaw (salivary gland area?) and when I ate my dinner tonight I had pain in the swollen area and it became more swollen as I ate. It has settled down a bit (swelling, pain) after eating but my mouth feels ‘sticky.’ My taste has been non-existant for salty and sour foods since my first attack so that hasn’t changed with the swelling. I feel more fatigued (as opposed to the usual weakness) as well. My cranial nerves have been affected by CIDP.
      Anyone have these symptoms before?
      Thanks,
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2009 at 6:34 am

I get swollen lymph gland but they claim it is my disease of Lupus causing mine. It hurts too when they swell! But then too swollen lymph glands can be caused by a number of things. Infection somewhere setting in possible and maybe CIDP. I have noticed my glands swelling alot more than usual and I never thought it could be linked to my CIDP! When I get that way I have to place a cold washcloth around my neck to get the swelling down.
      But if you are having this on Monday I would reccomend you getting it checked out just in case the swelling is due to another problem like an infection! Hope you feel better today! Hugs
      Linda H

• June 14, 2009 at 9:04 am

Hi Kazza,

I’ve had C.I.D.P. with cranial nerve involvement for the past 10 years. I’ve never experienced what you’re describing, but then everyone is different.

It actually sounds like some sort of oral infection to me…

Good Luck!

Kevin (a.k.a. KHS730)

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm

[QUOTE=Kazza]Hi all,
      As you probably know I’ve had CIDP for quite a while. Well anyway, I noticed yesterday that my face was a bit swollen on either side of my jaw (salivary gland area?) and when I ate my dinner tonight I had pain in the swollen area and it became more swollen as I ate. It has settled down a bit (swelling, pain) after eating but my mouth feels ‘sticky.’ My taste has been non-existant for salty and sour foods since my first attack so that hasn’t changed with the swelling. I feel more fatigued (as opposed to the usual weakness) as well. My cranial nerves have been affected by CIDP.
      Anyone have these symptoms before?
      Thanks,
      Kazza[/QUOTE]
      Kazza, I would advise checking with you ear,nose&throat MD, if you know one. If not check with your primary care MD. ….. In the mean time; keep well hydrated, use intermittent warm compresses during the day, and have you checked your temp.?
      Sorry you are having a painful problem to go along with everything else!
      Jan

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Thank you for your advice everyone. I am going to see my Doc tomorrow (couldn’t get in today). Yes, it is harder on the body when something else crops up besides CIDP to deal with – I bet you all know that though!
      Thanks again,
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2009 at 7:39 am

First, the classic reason for swelling of both sides of the salivary glands has always been mumps! Fortunately, this is rare now, but it remains something to think about. Lots of viruses can also cause swelling. It sounds like the salivary glands might be blocked since they swelled up more when you were eating and hurt and since your mouth is sticky–indicating that the baseline amount of saliva may be down now. People can get little stones that block salivary glands, but this is usually only one side, not both.
      Things that can help in this time–avoid sour foods. Drink lots of water through out the day to keep your mouth wet and drink liquids when eating to help move food. Be especially careful in dental care since saliva also helps clean the teeth after eating.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Hi,
      Thanks WithHope for your advice 🙂
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2009 at 1:35 am

I had this exact same problem! I have had cidp for 9 years. My grandmother first noticed the left side of my face was swollen and then the next day I felt it. My doctor first thought I had mumps as well but did not present other symptoms. They ended up putting me on antibiotics in case it was a salivary infections – it took some time but eventually the swelling went down. Quite painful and I never fully understood what it was. That is the only time I have had it.

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2009 at 4:53 am

Hi Lisa,
      My Doc said it was my salivary glands (parotids) that were swollen. She also thinks I had stones in the ducts – pain and swelling with eating. If it doesn’t settle I’ll have to have some tests done.
      Thanks for your reply 🙂
      Kazza