Chronic Pain Group

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2007 at 12:53 pm

Hello all,

I am working on a small group for my church on Chronic Pain. There are many people who suffer from pain of all kinds on a continual basis. These people have all kind of challenges from mobility to even things like feeding, bathing, dressing etc.

But frequently the most debilitating aspect is the mental toll that Chronic Pain exacts. In some cases we are prisoners to the pain. It rules our lives. It dictates what we can and cannot do. It causes depression, anxiety, and disrupts our social lives.

I am interested in what kind of things you do to alleviate your pains. Beyond medication. What makes you “feel better”

A warm bath?
      Music?
      Meditation?
      Extra sleep?
      Prayer?
      A Big Steak Dinner?
      (Heaven forbid) Sex?
      A good hug?

Whatever makes a difference in relieving your pain, and improving your outlook on life. This can be a tremendous resource here on this site, if we all chip in and share our successes. It will help me structure my small group as well. (privacy insured).

We all know how debilitating Chronic Pain can be. Even to the point of suicide. If we can help one person live a better life, it will be worth it. After I get all of my information assembled and a program organized, I will be happy to share it with everyone.

Thanks
      Dick S

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2007 at 1:54 pm

First off, I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing through your church. I personally know of two people in my area who have committed suicide because of chronic pain. I guess I would have to say that what helps me most for pain are drugs: Neurontin (Gapapentin) for the nerve damage I have. I also take 3-4 Advil when my lower back gets too bad, at night I will take half a Lortab to sleep, if sleep doesn’t come within an hour.

But there other things that do help me with the pain I suffer throughout my body. Water aerobics helps me greatly to keep my shoulders & arms more mobile, but it does tend to weaken my legs afterwards. Rest, such as taking an afternoon nap and/or getting 11 hours of sleep at night. Time, or just getting used to it after all of these years. Prayer is comforting, although I am almost always praying for someone other than myself. Elevating my legs on a recliner at night helps, especially now with a sprained ankle. I am sure I will think of others later on.

BTW, sex definitely does not help us relieve pain, something disastrous usually happens to one or the other, LOL!

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I like this concerning chronic pain. My first one is prayer and then I use the following water as hot as I can stand it in the shower, soft music.:)

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Hello Dick,
      If you need advice in getting a group going you should get in touch with my friend Pat. She’s not a member of this forum because she does not have GBS or CIDP, but she does have a neuropathy that causes chronic pain. She started a support group in her church but can no longer run it because she will be moving to a new home soon. Now, you are doing a good thing to deal with pain by starting your group. I admire Pat because she deals with pain by “working for Christ”, busy hands, busy mind and busy spirit.

PM me and I will give you her email, address and phone number.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 1:36 am

Hi Dick
      I have found that focusing on something I really enjoy doing, helps take my mind off my pain.
      Also, as you already know if we overdo things with CIDP we usually feel worse, so, I have found that resting helps me as well.
      Hope this has helped.
      Kind regards
      Kazza

• September 1, 2007 at 7:38 am

Dick,
      When the pain goes beyond what I can handle I submerge myself in the hottest water I can stand in my old claw foot tub and soak. By the time the waters cooled I usually can climb into bed and sleep it off.
      I think what you’re doing is great. Support systems are really important.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Hi Dick ~ this summer I read “Pain Free for Life” by Dr. Scott Brady. I highly recommend this read as I found many useful “tools” for dealing with chronic pain.

Dr. Brady, himself, was disabled by severe chronic pain and could no longer practice medicine; was basically housebound/bed ridden. With much study and trial & error, he developed this progam for himself. He is happily practicing again and helping others with the program.

No, it is [I][U]not[/U] a[/I] [I]cure-all[/I] but for some it will definitely make a difference. Perhaps you could read it and then decide if it is a resource you would like to offer in your program.

I applaude you for offering something back to your community. Best wishes!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2007 at 12:58 am

Thank you all for your suggestions… Keep them coming……

Pam, I definitely concur about the 10-11 hours sleep/bed before trying to get up. If I stay in bed long enough, it helps being able to deal with the day. If I get up and moving after 7 or 8, I just fatigue sooner.

I am suprised that Hot works so well. Hot is soothing for me, but it really tires me out if the water is too hot.

I am still working it out with the church. They seem supportive at this time, but getting a room, getting on the schedule, getting the 10 to 12 week program written and then getting the program approved, things like that are still in front of me.

Keep those suggestions coming

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2007 at 2:35 am

I agree that pain starts as soon as I move in the morning. Getting up to feed the cat sets it off so I go lay back down. My time frame for doing outside errands in 4 hours max. Then my body quickly winds down as the fatigue kicks in.I can go to the nearby grocery store and start falling asleep from lack of energy.It is unsetting to plan on doing simple things others just do without wondering the consequences.
      My new found love is gardening. I find it easy as I can come back in the house or sit a spell and hope to be able to do a little more. My flowers were beautiful and enjoyed tending them all. Last fall I put out over 100 pansies.
      Since I’m so tired I can’t read like I used too. I still go to the library and browse-this is another thing I find peace doing.
      Rediscovered cooking and am known for sharing my chocolate delights with friends and nieghbors.
      I have found no one can see the pain I have daily. I’ve learned to not mention it and do what I can when I can.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2007 at 5:16 am

Laughing, smiling, watching a funny movie – it releases endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers. 😀 Like any exercise you have to do it more than once for it to be effective but it does work and because I can’t take painkillers this is my main defense against what little pain I get.

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2007 at 11:01 am

Comedy does the trick for me. Going to the local comedy club or renting some funny movies. I’ve also been spending time with my nephew (16) recently and it has been good for me, distracts my mind.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2007 at 11:27 pm

This is really amazing, at least for me to read.

So many of you, me included, deal with pain by doing something enjoyable. If we are having a better time, we are experiencing less pain.

I have talked with the folks at the church, and several others outside the church. They have still been supportive about my idea. A couple of people have sent me some ideas on formats, frequency of meetings, and the like.

Your suggestions are not only valuable to me, but can be a good resource for others down the road. Keep ’em coming.

Dick S