Chiropractic adjustments …

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 8:12 pm

As I previously mentioned M. has been seeing a chiropractor to try to help her deal with what is happening to her body.

The members of the practice have been absolutely amazing. After I took in a copy of the journal we have been keeping and her hospital records the partners had a meeting to discuss her case. As they really wanted to be able to help her they came up with the offer of an intensive program of adjustments over the next few weeks at a greatly reduced rate. Just when my faith in human nature reaches a low something like this happens to restore it!

As for the results – M. is half way through the course and seems to be bouncing back a bit. She says that she is able to sleep much better than previously, and that she can mostly cope with the pain now. Although she is still experiencing the pain, stiffness and fatigue, she is starting to participate in some social activities again. And she was at school for 4 1/2 days last week. Yay!!

I want to add that at no time has a ‘cure’ been mentioned. The hope is that her resilience, physical and mental, will increase as the adjustments take place. The validation of her illness and the stress she has been under as a result has, I feel, been a turning point.

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 8:26 pm

I think that this little bit of freedom and continued partisipation in activities will be a big boost to her ego. Just being around friends and getting back to your regular routine does lift some of the stress and give you minds something to do rather than feel sorry for yourself.

As far as the stiffness and pain if from weak muscles the activity level being raised will help start to build up the muscles again. That will help to hold those adjustments in place. Just remember the nerves need rest to heal and the muscles need activity. Don’t let her over do it and have a set back.

Sounds like things are working for her now….keep up the great work as a care giver….we have so much praize for our caregivers!

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 3:40 pm

My son nate is not a child but he 16 mos out from GBS and he has had some real problems with his neck and horrible headaches.
      I contacted our Chiropractor friend and he agreed to see Nate 2 mos ago.
      He adjusted Nate as well as he could but didn’t think he had done much.
      Whatever he did, it helped Nate’s headaches a lot.
      It has lasted 2 mos. Nate’s headaches and back pain are getting worse again now though.
      Nate’s new Neuro says he has nerve compression in his neck and that is responsible for his headaches.
      That may be why the Chiropractic adjustment helped.
      I think its time to do it again. I have already called our Chiro and he will be calling me back today.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 4:32 pm

I have been going to the chiropractor for about 9 years. I also know when I start getting headaches it’s time to go for another adjustment. I know some people have to go every 3 weeks. I did to for a while but now I just call when I fill the need to go.
      I also believe not all chiropractor are as good as others. If you can get people you know who have had good experience with chiropractor to spread the word. That is how I knew my Chiropractor was good.

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I have been to about 6 different ones in my 54 yr old lifetime. Some were very gentle, others not at all.
      I believe that a good Chiropractor should be skilled enough to not have to be rough on you to the extent that he causes pain. It does not require a muscle bound guy to adjust you correctly, but rather one who is knowledgeable and can put you in the correct position to allow things to move easily without much pressure.
      Our Chiropractor was a friend of my husband before I knew my husband so trusting him as a nice person was easy.
      After I saw how skilled he was with nate, I knew he was good.
      He was very gentle and not the least bit forceful. Nate really likes him and he has helped. That’s all we needed.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2007 at 12:30 am

My cousin is actually a chiropractor–a very good one at that.

When my son was first diagnosed I took him to the chiropractor–he had been a patient before for his scoliosis (cured by adjustments!) and migraines.

My cousin went ahead and did the adjustment and did a lot of research on his own to learn about CIDP. The adjustments didn’t help these symptoms at all and the chiropractor agreed that they wouldn’t be effective since this involves nerves.

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2007 at 2:29 pm

Our new Neurologist has even told Nate that going to a chiropractor is a good thing for him. Nate has a lot of nerve compression in his neck, back and wrists and possibly hips.
      During his paralysis, joints got very tight and compressed the nerves that go through them.
      The Neurologist says that chiropractic adjustments can alleviate a lof of that.
      All I know is that when Nate was having horrible headaches, the adjustment he got took them way down to hardly ever getting one now.
      Trudy, natesmom