Check your Heparin

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I’m sure most everyone is aware of Baxter’s heparin being recalled. I got a call today that Emily’s brand of heparin is being recalled as well. It’s from Medefill. I don’t have the specific lot number because I immediately threw it out so it wouldn’t get mixed up with the good flush. We actually had the “bad” heparin ready to flush Emi’s port with when we got the phone call. We were literally 5 minutes away from using it.

I’m told that there haven’t been any incidents being reported with this particular brand but they are recalling certain lot numbers as a precaution.

So check your stash of heparin! I threw out every single one of mine (and I keep a pretty good stash of it)

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 6:46 pm

I was wondering if you ever found the reason for this recall?

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 7:36 pm

The only thing that I was told officially is it’s being recalled as a precautionary measure.

What I found out through some research was that a component of Heparin is made in China. That component has been tainted. So far the only company that has experienced any side effects from that tainted component is Baxter. Ranging anywhere from severe stomach pains & racing heart to severe infection & death.

I do believe that our company recalled theirs as a precaution because I’m sure there are going to be some heavy duty lawsuits coming out of this for Baxter. I’m sure all of the companies that make Heparin are looking into their ingredients & taking the appropriate precautions.

Kelly