catching the cold and cidp

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2011 at 3:01 am

Hi,

I’m a CIDP patient for the last 5 years. Over the last 4 years I am treated with GAMUNEX 30g every 3 weeks.
      My doctor says I am in a quite mild condition, and I keep on having ordinary routine, doing everything I used to do (besides sports).
      10 days ago I caught the cold and lost my voice. besides a sore throat for 24 hours, nothing was unusual and I got my voice back after a week or so and a few cups of tea.
      Since then I feel like I am not breathing as I used to. Nothing seems to abrupt the airways (I was examined by a family doctor who found nothing), but still I feel like I get 90% of the air I need.
      My question – could that be something related to the CIDP? (I have a theory that my CIDP started after having a lung infection 5 years ago).
      Is there something I can do to “prove” this or treat it?

Thanx.

Chen.

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I would think the only way to prove it is to get another IVIG & see if it goes away.

I do not have CIDP & got a cold a few weeks ago. I ended up having body aches for 10 days after the cold symptoms subsided. I’m told there are some nasty bugs going around right now & they seem to hold on for awhile.

Kelly

• October 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm

a side effect of the ivig is cough/cold. I have got it a few times after an infusion, not bad–just a scratchy throat, slight cough. Each infusion is different, so if it was that, you may or may not get it again from a future infusion. hopefully that’s all it was 🙂 Lori

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for the replies.
      I was examined once again by another family doctor who found nothing, and she also tested oxygen saturation level. she said everything was normal.
      Everyone around me says it’s all because I’m stressed out, which is true since I work to hard. Yet, the feeling I do not have enough air still bugs me. Most of all I fear I don’t treat myself as I should, and I keep asking myself whether I should go and have an X ray to relief myself from this feeling.

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2011 at 5:09 am

Have you tried deep breathing exercises when you start to get this feeling?

My husband has anxiety & says he feels like he’s not getting enough air when an attack comes on. Perhaps you are experiencing these as well? It’s VERY common for people with CIDP to experience depression & anxiety.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2011 at 10:41 am

[url]http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521/three-breathing-exercises.html[/url]