Case Management??

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2008 at 9:42 pm

I got a letter from my insurance company today offering me the services of a case manager. Does anyone here have experience with a case manager? Is that a good thing for the patient… or is it primarily to benefit the insurance company?

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 12:16 am

While in the hospital, case management would visit me once a week. They checked my progress each week and had a plan as to where I should be with my progress. They would then have a meeting with doctors and nurses about my progress. If I made improvements with GBS and did all of my therapies it was decided that I stay in hospital another week. If I did not make improvement or did not work with my therapy I would have been placed in a nursing home. In my case I made enough improvement to go home with continued therapy. I had two case managers and they did want my input as far as what I thought, such as, did I think I was ready to go home or did I think I needed to stay in hospital for continued care and more therapy. They were very caring and I never felt that I was sent home to soon. I believe it benefits both the patient and insurance company. Patients are not released to soon but are not kept longer than they should be. Case managers are like the middle person between patient and insurance company.
      Hope this helps some.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 5:11 am

I too had one many years ago with my insurance. She was a lady and was very nice. I was having a very hard time getting on disability. Thanks to her she helped me in getting it! She saw how sick I was and felt it best that I be placed in disability.
      It does help the Insurance company but also helps the patient.
      The insurance company I have now has really been good to me this year. No longer have a case manager like I did back then but have a Case Manager that calls me and helps me decide my medications in generics that will help me save some money.
      There sure is a huge difference in the price of Plaquenil and Hydroxycloriquine think I misspelled that. Brain fogger this morning. LOL! Sometimes those case managers can get the ball rolling on the ways a person get’s treatment. They are actually not to bad!

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 6:39 am

I got a similar letter from my insurance company. I called her up, she wasn’t there so I left her a voice mail saying “thank you for your letter, I need some help from a case manager about this and such.” And I never heard back from her, next thing I know she doesn’t work there anymore and I don’t have a case manager. :confused:

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 7:48 am

Thank you all for the responses. I had never heard of case management, but like many of us here, my medical issues have become much more complex in the past two years (a “domino” effect after GBS). It appears all this takes is a phone call from me, so maybe I will make the call to the case manager (an RN) and ask some questions. Have a GREAT day, everyone!

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 10:18 am

I have had case mangers assigned to me thru the insurance company ever since I came down with CIDP. Basically they just call and check on you. They ask questions regarding your care and send you information that they think might help such as “energy conservation techniques” They are also there to answer any medical or medication questions that you might have as well as provide information about resources/services that might assist you. It is always prefaced with the “you should talk with your Dr. about this” It seems to be a position that changes personnel often. At least that has been my experience with my CIDP managers. I also have one for my cancer treatment. Now that person has been consistent and calls about once per month. He explains treatment regimes, inquires what side effects I might be experiencing and gives me questions to ask my physician on my followups. He is knowledgeable about the treatment options. I guess what I’m trying to say is I have had good and not so good experiences. I felt that I was teaching the CIDP case managers as I know more about the disorder than they did. I think more and more insurance companies are finding that they can save money by preventing some of the issues that people have by either catching something early or finding them the right resources.
      Good luck, I hope you get a good one.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Thanks, JanB, I felt kind of funny getting a letter like that, but after the responses I have received here, I have decided to assume the best and give case management a try (if the RN calls back 🙂

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 7:20 am

Happy Thanksgiving! Give her a try! You would be surprised how helpful they can be! Mine helped me alot with my meds. That lady saved me quite a few bucks on meds. Have a great day tomorrow!

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm

my daughter has a case manager through our insurance company. it helps with consistency of care. she knows everything that is going on. when i need something from the insurance company, it makes it much easier just calling one person who knows everything, rather then going through a million different people and explaining things over and over.

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Thanks — I called today and “met” my case manager. Not sure how much she will be able to help, but I’ve got her number now!