carbon diox. low bun high help understanding results

• April 10, 2008 at 3:17 pm

sorry no info

• April 10, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Another possibility, he was nervous about the whole stick into the port because it keeps moving around, plus he was worried about the post headaches, perhaps a panic attack of some sort changed the co2 levels? Wacko idea? Well, I am wacko!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 5:02 pm

It is true that the creatnin would be higher in the morning. Emily’s always were higher in the morning. And it’s not a dramatic overage, so I honestly would not worry about it at all. Emily’s would be higher if she didn’t drink A LOT of water & if she hadn’t eaten much. If her blood was taken in the afternoon then the levels would be fine.

His CO2 levels again are not THAT off. Again it’s nothing to worry about. Don’t read into it & think it’s affecting his autonomic nerves. It’s not!

Remember that the normal ranges are just a guideline. Some people will never be exactly within the normal ranges. As long as the results aren’t too high or too low, then there really is no reason to be concerned.

If there was drastic change then I’d say that you need to worry about it but since there’s not, then I think you shouldn’t even think twice about it. These tests are done just to be benchmarks for the next month. The dr’s are looking for drastic changes, not slightly high or slightly low. ANY number of factors can alter those results on a DAILY basis.

I’ve been where you are now, staring at the test results & trying to analyze them. There were times when Emi’s creatnin was high (by like 2) & I called my dad & made him have his head nurse call me. Believe me when I say that it’s normal & it’s nothing to worry about. Been there, done that & you should learn from me on this one, LOL.

I’ll call ya right now to discuss it further, LOL.
      Kelly

• April 10, 2008 at 6:19 pm

“Well,
      I am wacko, the doc said the numbers are fine, the high co2 could have been from holding his breath when he gets accessed, or a panic attack because of his anxiety. He said the bun is more important as the separate results, not the ratio number. He is concearned with the creatine mostly, and Kevin’s creatinin was fine, just the ratio number was off.

Now, we just have to hope that this months post infusion reactions are better. We are going to take With Hope’s advice and substitute aleve for the motrin. Say a prayer for Kevie. Just in case they are bad, he already has Friday planned the minute the nurse hits the door, he is not wasting any time with his 24 hour window. He wants to see Prom Night with his friends that aren’t too chicken, and then after the movie pick up the rest of the gang for the weekly air soft war. I think he has me wrapped around his finger!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Ya think?!?!

Hugs,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 9:43 pm

The BUN to creatinine ratio does not work well in children at all and we tend to ignore it as “an adult thing” that appears on lab tests, but does not relate to kids. Many of the children I work with have an elevated BUN/Cr despite us knowing by specific kidney tests that their kidneys work really well and the fact that both the BUN and Cr are normal, as with Kevie. I do not know exactly why this ratio does not work in kids, but it has something to do with the fact that the denominator (cr) is much smaller in children representing a smaller muscle mass in the body. Whatever the reason the ratio is typically high in children, it is not a reason to worry at all. Okay?

The CO2 represents acid/base balance in the body. Worry can cause this to be transiently off. One common cause of decrease in the CO2 is that a little of the IV fluid is mixed in the blood and it can help to make sure that there is an adequate “discard” of blood–typically 5 ml or one teaspoon from the port before the blood for the test is done.

WithHope for cure of these diseases.