can my baby get gbs

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 9:21 pm

I had gbs in 2004. it was a really bad case. I almost died. I was on life support for 2 months, both lungs collapsed, paralyzed from neck down, had a heart attack, and was given a 10% chance to live. I got GBS from a reaction to my hep. B vaccinations. When i have my baby, they offer the hep. B vaccinations to the newborns. what is the percentage that my baby will also have a reaction to the hep. B vacc and get GBS? just worried about what is the best thing for my baby! any help is appreciated. also can getting pregnant trigger gbs again…….could i get gbs again when i’m pregnant?

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Please try to enjoy this pregancy and don’t worry about stuff you are not able to control. STRESS can be more of a trigger that would make you have a residual kick up. You need to take care of yourself and get rest. GBS can cause fatigue and so can having a child. You need to talk to your doctor about any vacinations and your concerns with your doctors. Autoimmune diseases do run in families and keeping GBS in your childs familly history on his or her medical chart will be a good idea. Focus on a healthy baby and the delite they give to their parents! Memories of GBS will fade as you watch your child grow! Take lots of photographs!

• June 26, 2007 at 1:52 pm

I agree with the above post! Enjoy the pregnancy! I do have to include that I do not agree with including your gbs history in the documented history. It may come back to haunt you regarding the childs insurability, medically, life insurance etc. This funny world we live in seems to twist things according to their needs. For instance, we tried to get my ten year old additional life insurance from Gerber life insurance ( You will get the pamphlet when your baby is born) because the price is very cheap. When he gets older and married, he may not be able to afford it, we can so we wanted to do this. Well, no such luck! Even though he is at 100% post dx, htey consider him a high risk of premature death. This is based on documentation at the onset. So be careful what you include on paper, be sure you tell your pediatrician, dr. etc you do not want your history on your babys file. You will be with your child any time vaccinations are given YOU know the history and YOU will know what not to get! More importantly, you will go crazy if you consume yourself with worry regarding your gbs and future affects it may have on your baby. ENJOY THIS TIME OF YOUR LIFE IT IS A FEEKLING YOU CAN NEVER GET BACK DONT LET GBS WRECK IT FOR YOU BEING PREGNANT AND HAVING MY BABIES WAS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME IT IS THE REASON I WAS PUT ON THIS EARTH I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

Regarding immunizations, now that I know what I know about immunizations, gbs, Autism etc. this would be a difficult decision. Your child would have some level of herd protection, but that is a risk. The shots too are a risk. Either way it is a gamble. Investigate. You will make the decision that you feel is right. The law of avereages would say that since you had gbs, practically anyone you know should fall into a statistical safety net?! Good luck with your choice!

HAve a great pregnancy, start a scrapbook with the first ultra sound picture!

Good luck,
      Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2007 at 11:16 am

We live in a world of such uncertainty and unfortunately anything is possible and anything can happen. However I would like to echo what Kit and Dawn have had to say. You really have to enjoy your pregnancy, its something that is so miraculous. Its easier said than done, but you have to try so hard to let things ‘be’. I going to say the following from personal experience, others may have different experiences. I have two children, and I know many many women who have become pregnant and have had children after GBS. A few may have experienced some residual flare ups, but overall things have turned out extremely well, and all have given birth to children who seem to be happy and, as far as i can assertain, healthy babies. Having had GBS, you know your body well, and if at all during the pregnancy you do have some flare up, you know you need to rest and take things easy. This is such a wonderous part of your life, we cannot dwell on things we have no controll over (once again its easier said than done). Please enjoy your pregnancy.