Can I have anymore bad luck?

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 12:26 pm

[SIZE=”3″][FONT=”Arial Narrow”]I have been terrible; emotionally I am in the pits. Here’s a little of my background story I was diagnosed with GBS (2 years ago) when I was 20 right before my 21st birthday, recovery is still an ongoing task, Social Security denied me so I had to get an lawyer. My lawyer basically, made a mistake (I’m trying to be extremely nice right now). I was under the assumption that I would be receiving a year + some months time in back-pay, yet when I received my check it was for a few hundred dollars. I called my lawyer and disputed the date that the judge classified me as disabled and my lawyer wanted me to wait until I received my check before “we” filed an appeal. To make a long story short “we” missed my appeal date; and now I’m out of a lot of money. This whole process has been frustrating. I already am upset over the fact that I’m still recovering, I’m still weak, I can’t lift things, I’m not driving, I’m not in school, I’m not out doing the things that a normal 20 year old would be doing; and now I find out that the little bit of happiness that I thought I could gain from Social Security has been taking away from me. For somebody who can’t work, and who hasn’t worked in years….seeing a check worth thousands of dollars would cheer anybody up. Anyways I guess it’s true what people say “When It rains, it pours”.

Thanks, everyone for letting me vent. Some days I feel like no one understands, what a GBS survivor goes through. [/FONT][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 2:42 pm

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had such a bad time getting some compensation and disability payments in your condition. It really is an uphill battle, isn’t it, dealing with the authorities? Why don’t you just try to de-stress for a bit, and then see what else can be done now with whatever options you have. At least the lawyer knows your case, and the documentation is there, so maybe you can take it from there; could there still be a way?

And if there isn’t a way to recoup the finances you’ve lost out on, try not to let it stress you to the point where it impacts against your health. I know that when I get emotionally upset, I can hardly take it now; sometimes, it has the effect of a mini-stroke on me, and I have relapsed at least once after a very severe emotional upset. My brain couldn’t adjust to it, and my recovery took a severe dive for a few weeks.

There are so many things for us to adjust to now, and all of them are very difficult, but please take good care of yourself when you are in the midst of a crisis like this disappointment. Eat well, and sleep often; and try to recover from it. Look around you, and try to find some happiness.
      Take care,
      Donna

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 4:49 pm

Hey Miss, good to hear from you but sorry things have been crappy of late. I don’t know how the system works in the US so can’t comment specifically but I am thinking if the Lawyer missed the appeal date, then does he not hold some liability for your loss in terms of what was owed to you? He should have to fight this now for free! Man, as if we don’t have enough on our plates.

On a more positive note, we are here for you. Please stop by often, vent when you need to. No one here judges as we have all been there and who better than someone who has had GBS/CIDP to vent to. We truly do understand your frustrations. There are folks on here who have had to get lawyers to appeal their cases so I am hoping htey have some advice/feedback for you.

Take care.
      Janet

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 7:58 pm

You came to the right place to vent. You have to blow off steam. GBS at you age, well at any age is the pits. But remember GBS means you will be getting better, but it will be slowly. You have to keep hope alive. You have been give the ditty end of the stick very early in life. Right now it is very hard to accept. So please come her any time you need to yell or vent or ask a question. Just remember you will get better, not as fast as you want, but it will happen. Your are now part of the family. I know you would prefer not to be, but you are. We are all here to help you any way we can.

I would suggest another lawyer and see if you have a case for malpractice if you can not get the money from the government. Just remember, Lawyer, don’t work for free, it is either money up front or a percentage of what recovered. So you might want to first talk thing over with a legal aid lawyer who does pro-bono work and see what you realistic options have.

There an old saying, when life hands you lemons, make lemon aid, sell it to someone and make a profit.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Dear Miss

I really feel for you. Be strong.

Jim C – love the old saying!

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Hi – I agree with Jim and Janet that your first lawyer should be accountable somehow. I had to get a lawyer too for my disability-he got everything right and I got retroactive pay to the first day of my disability. Of course almost all that was paid for past due medical expenses, but having a regular income takes some of the pressure off. Check with legal aid and see what your options are. Good luck. We are here for you. Vent anytime you want.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm

[FONT=”Arial Narrow”][SIZE=”3″][/SIZE][/FONT]Hi yall…. I’m still upset. The thing that makes me so frustrated is that I called my lawyer and told him that I disagree with the dates I received from the judge and his words were exactly….” wait until you receive your first check before we do anything”; so we waited, I received my first check and called him immediately and he did nothing. I called a few days later because this date issue had been on my mind non-stop, and it turns out my appeal date has passed. You guys would not believe how mad I was, and still am; the fact is that I called him (my lawyer) and he wanted to “wait”. We’ll look what waiting has gotten me a missed opportunity of money that is owed, to me….for all the pain, an suffering I’ve been through a little governmental assistance should be easy to get.

I’ve read all of your comments and I appreciate them dearly. Some of you wrote about Legal Aid….what could that do?

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2008 at 11:20 am

Legal aid should be able to give you get a top rated lawyer doing pro-bono work [free]. That should get you some good advice about what is you best option at this point. It seems your first lawyer has his head up and locked to so talking to him/her at this point would do not much good. You need a fresh set of eye on the problem. I can only assume you do not have a whole lot of cash to spend. So that why I suggested trying Legal aid first.