campylobacter

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2008 at 8:32 am

Who hasn’t had a little food poisoning every now and then? Yeah? Everyone? Well here’s a creepy thought: once you’ve puked your guts out for 72 hours straight, the microfauna that glued you to the toilet could be the root cause of your kidney failure 20 years later.

check this out:
      “About 1 in 1,000 sufferers of campylobacter, a diarrhea-causing infection spread by raw poultry, develop far more serious Guillain-Barre syndrome a month or so later. Their body attacks their nerves, causing paralysis that usually requires intensive care and a ventilator to breathe. About a third of the nation’s Guillain-Barre cases have been linked to previous campylobacter, even if the diarrhea was very mild, and they typically suffer a more severe case than patients who never had food poisoning.”

Campylocater is spread not only by poultry but also RAW MILK. Definitely another “con” to add to the list when deciding whether nonpasteurized is the way to go.

Cut and paste the following link to see the blog.

http://www.inklingmagazine.com/inkycircus/detail/the-bad-clams-come-back-to-bite-you-in-the-ass-again/”

Here is another link to the 1 in 1000 develop GBS.

Cut and paste the following link to see the abstract.
      http://md1.csa.com/partners/viewrecord.php?requester=gs&collection=ENV&recid=5298996&q=&uid=792044325&setcookie=yes”

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2008 at 8:12 pm

You find such great info! Thanks for sharing with us.

• January 29, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Hi Im one of those pathient that got camfy.. and GBS, and then I got my gut bacteria mixed up and only the bad one took over and again got I GBS, this is very important for every one that have taken penscilin that you take care of your good bacteria in your gut 🙂
      but think for the info, it is always useful to read about our GBS/CIDP

Campylobacter

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 2:56 pm

I am new here, but I have spent some time reading some of these stories I have been researching GBS, when I came across this site. I was dumbfounded!!
      The reason for my search is, my 6 yr. old son went into the Hosp. a week ago with seizures and 103 and 104 temp, he was put into ICU for 4 days, the Doc really studied him and came back with this “Campylobacter” They say it was a bacterial and you can get it from dogs,ect… Upon further research I see campylobacter can trigger GBS. That is how I ended up here!! After reading what some of you have been through,words cant express my sympathy. Everyday I ask my boy “Can you feel your toes?’ Frankley, I am scared out of wits .
      My question is has any of you ever herad of Campylobacter?
      I wish you all a full recovery.
      Sincerely
      Michlle

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 5:56 pm

Hi Mic,
      Food poisoning from campylabactor is fairly common, to go on and develop GBS is not, just as the flu is common and is also known as a trigger only a very very small number of people out of millions and millions develop GBS.

Of course food poisoning is serious in it’s own right and you should try and trace the source so there is no repeat.

Regards Neil

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 9:28 pm

hi mic, sorry to hear about your son, he is in my prayers for a speedy recovery. it is true one can get gbs from campylobacter, i did (my 3 paralysis event), the day after xmas last year, i got it from the salad bar at a local pizza hut-the chocolate pudding. i know that because that was the only thing that i ate and my parents and my kids didn’t, and it had a real bad taste to it. i don’t eat off the salad bar anymore, anywhere. try to track down the source, it is really hard especially with a youngster.
      give my best to your son, and take care.:)

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 9:22 am

I am certain Aiden got campylobacter from this new puppy we have, however we do have chicken too! I know that puppy was not right,even after worming him several times.. In fact the Doc. came in and asked us if we have any dogs. Of course this was a feather in my cap, because I have been telling my darling husbend, who is a BIG hunter we way to many dogs.
      You are a very big help though. This is what I am trying to figure out, I know according to research the odds of one getting GBS due to campy. is 1 in 1000, not a huge odd to me. Can you tell a bit about yourself? How soon after Campy. did you get your first sign? What were they? and how did they treat you? Are you alright now?
      This is all very interesting to me, I was taken aback by some of these stories. I had Adam sit with me last night and read some, how sad this is and life changing.
      Thank you for your prayers, Aiden is feeling better now, I know he is going to get sick of me asking him every day how is your tummy? can you feel this ? You feel alright? Yet I am still praying for him still.
      I see you must be from MI. I am as well!! I kinda like the green and white. I hope you will still talk to me!!!!:D

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 11:04 am

Mic, about 50% of GBSs are found to be an altered immune response to one of 4 infections. The commonest is the bacterium Campylobacter Jejuni which is an increasingly common cause of food poisoning. It is usually spread by poorly cooked, or contaminated chicken. Campylobacter causes food poisoning in humans, dogs and cats.
      The incidence of GBS is about 6-8/100,000 people. I don’t know the incidence in those infected with C.J.
      The interval between infection and the altered immune response causing GBS is about two weeks. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Even though your a Sparty we will still be nice to you 🙂

I am the GBS liason for Southeast Michigan, if there is anything I can do or if you have any questions please feel free to email me anytime jerimyschilz at hotmail.com

I hope your son continues to get better and feel better. I love the name Aiden, another Mom on here (Ali) has a son named Aiden also.

Take care and contact me anytime.

Jerimy Schilz

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 2:22 pm

Doc David, Can you explain the [altered immune response] to me? Is this somthing you are born with or develope?

Jerimy, I found the name Aiden while reading a irish book!! I loved it and since than I have heard it many times. While at the Hosp. one of the main Doc. asked me if Aiden was Irish? so I told him Yes, my Mom was bron in Ireland and raised in England. The Doctor said He was from Ireland too!! He came over at the age of 23. How cool is that?

Doctor David I see you are from the UK!! All of my Mom’s family is there in Birkenhead Eng. There was 17 kids:eek:

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 2:42 am

Mic, when your body meets infection, ie; campylobacter, your antibodies develop a specific ‘shape’ like a piece of jigsaw, to fit the protein outer coat of the infecting organism (the antigen). The fitting of this piece of jigsaw allows the body’s destroying cells to destroy this complex.
      The abnormal altered immune response is called auto-immunity. The antibody fits the myelin sheath that covers the peripheral nerves and damages that in error leadiing to GBS or CIDP.
      There are many so-called auto-immune diseases, some families have a tendency to them. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 7:35 am

Sorry to detract from the subject …. but …….WELCOME BACK DocDavid!

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 10:26 am

Doc Dave,
      You have shed so much light on this for me, thank you. I see now it is just a waiting period, to see how his body will respond.
      My 2, 8th graders are studying antigens and myelin sheath, and pathogens, I am going to let them read your post so they too will have a better sence of what is going on.
      Thanks again Doc Dave. I’m sure I will come up with more questions, so I hope you dont mind!!!

Michelle

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Hi everyone,
      I’m new here too, just found this site whilst researching Campylocater, which I have recently had. (First symptoms of it started about 10 days ago – I am much better now – however still a little unsettled).
      Silly me thought I would read up on this form of food poisining, and came across this rare but awfully scary sounding possible complication called GBS. Now of course, I’ve freaked myself out and I wish I never knew so much about the Campylobacter link thing!
      Does anyone have any knowledge about anything I can do to ensure I dont get this complication, rare as it might be? (ie: does it help try to boost ones immunity?)
      Looking for some reasurring words… :-/
      Nervously,
      Rachael

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 11:45 pm

Don’t worry, despite the food poisoning you still have more chance of being run over by a car than developing GBS

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 11:00 am

Hi Skater7,

I know just what your saying!!! If your like me, when you find of hear of somthing diffferent, you like to know what your dealing with, so you research it, and what we found I could not have prepared myself for!! I was scared out of my wit’s too, after reading about this GBS I am the type of person, who can deal with the things I understand, and see, but this GBS is a waiting game, and I have this fear of the unknown!! This is new to me too. I realize Neil puts things as if there is no reason to worry, but even if the odds are stacked againsts us, I think you would be crazy for not being concerend, the whole reason I came here was to find some people who may have gotten GBS from Campylobacter, and I did! I wanted to find out how soon after Campy.did they have their first sign, and what were they.ect.. I did find a at least one person. and spoke with DocDavid, who helped me understand this
      Listen, my son had Campy. and was in real bad shape, we came home on Nov. 7th, and so far he is doing well and has had no symptoms of GBS. I will tell you we came home on a Tuesday, I sent him back to school the following Monday, and recieved a call that he fell in the gym and had a bad bloody nose!! they wanted me to bring up more cloth, of course I went on high alert thinking it might be starting, getting clumsey. Thankfully, there has been nothing since. I hope you feel better,and try not to stress too much.
      How did you get Campy. anyways?

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Hi Rachael, don’t boost the immunity thing-that is a good cause of gbs. gbs is the immune system attacking the myelin sheath of the nerves. you are better off just taking it easy, resting and getting on with life when you are feeling better. gbs is an acute onset of paralysis, numbness and the pins and needles in the body. there are other symptoms also but thats pretty much it in a nutshell. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2006 at 3:19 pm

Thanks everyone… and I’m glad Mic that someone else out there can relate to my concerns…! I know I may be over worrying myself, but thats just me I guess! 🙂 I’m glad to hear your son is improving… thats great news!

I’m not certain how I got this food poisoning, the doc said it’s mostly from not properly cooked chicken… and I;m alwasy really careful, but eat chicken so much, it could have easily been anytime I guess. I’m still not able to eat ‘normally’ without tummy probs, but feeling so much better…. started to get back into exercise this weekend which was great! I love skating and dancing, so getting back into that made me feel so much better in itself!

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Rachael and Mic,

I know you are concerned but hopefully neither of you will have to worry about GBS. I don’t know how I got GBS but my diet consisted of mainly chicken. I suspect this is where I got it also. I stopped eating chicken for a long time but have recently started eating it again but only when I cook it myself. I won’t eat it while I am out as I can’t see how it is prepared.

Good luck to you both
      Debbie

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2006 at 12:58 am

Rachael and Mic Our prayers are with you and sorry you had to find this group under such stressful times. I have also read that not only dogs can become infected but bird’s stool contains that bacteria if it has been infected. Keep stress out of their lives and keep things on the lighter side. Stop with the “Can you feel your toes?” questions. They will tell you if there is something that does not feel right!

I got GBS November a year go and I had no illness prior to the onset. Only thing was that with a cronic sinus problem. The doctors figure that I might of had a sinus infection that ran down my immune system. I was not ill enough to contact the doctor and the sinus problem got better without meds. Some here can only guess how they got the right conditions for GBS to settle into their bodies. Remember STRESS is also a thing that can supress the immune system.

Enjoy the holidays and think possitive.

Remember knowledge is power and you have the information that if a problem does arrise you can inform the doctors to read up on GBS and get started with the proper steps for testing for it. Till then just enjoy life!

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2006 at 10:02 am

Racheal,

I too am glad to hear you are starting to feel better. As for Aiden, let’s see, like I said, Aiden came home on the 7th and on the 25th late at night, he was up telling me his tummy still hurts!! so I am assuming, you might have some discomfort yet. Aiden is eating good and running around like a crazy boy!!! Infact today we are going to see the neuroligest I hope you will continue to make progress.

Kit and Debbie, thanks for all the encouraging words it has been a pleasure.
      I wish you only the best,and a fast recovery.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Thanks.

Michelle

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2006 at 3:50 pm

Well, thanks to everyone for the kind words and thoughts. It has been a pleasure to meet such lovely people as you all at a stressful time like this!

I love that quote… “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” -Buddha

I’ll try and keep that in mind as I go thru the day! 🙂

– Rachael