Blood Type Diet?

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Has anyone tried this?

2 nights ago, I awoke at 3am screaming in pain from Charlie Horses. At 3:30 I got up because I just needed to stand on my muscles to make them stop spasms. I cried and cried to myself as my kids and husband slept and decided to make myself a pot of Hawaiian Kona Coffee(my fav) and do some internet reading.

I was just diagnosed with Lupus last week and CIDP. I started to look on-line for “lupus” diets. Someone at my daughters school asked me if I did the “lupus” diet. I was like ???? is the “lupus diet”

So a pun my research, YES, I found a “diet” for “lupus” but I just don’t have Lupus, I also have CIDP. I was reading in the VERY early hours drinking my wonderful cup of coffee about what is called The Blood Type Diet.

This diet was more in touch with my blood type vs “sickness” etc.

I knew my blood type was B and so I found the MOST interesting things about being blood type B and what we eat, etc that “fuels” the fire for “auto-immune” and health problems.

I found out through reading that most people can “handle” food, but for people that are having problems, look to the root and STOP fueling the fire. This means a BIG diet change.

With all this said, I was in great health as I’ve been most of my life. I’m 5’5, 115-120 pounds, very athletic and in Jan, before this all hit was running half marathons pushing a double jogger with TWO kids. So I’m not overweight and needing an “excuse” to lose weight, etc. What I need is to FEEL BETTER as most of you I’m sure know.

I was STILL crying when my husband awoke at 6am for work and I’m giving him the paper print out’s of ALL the info I’ve dug up on eating for my blood type. I was devastated to say the least.

I eat SO healthy guys, always have, we have NO processed foods in my house, my daughter is 5 and never once had a Cheetos. I know MEAN MOM, but I control what is under our roof and I chose to NOT allow that stuff in our home. Do we eat pizza, YES, do we eat an Occasional McD’s, YES, do we go to a party and eat, YES, but the pantry in MY house is lean and mean with not much in it. You won’t find chips, cookies, ice cream in my house. You’ll find fruit, veggies, whole grains, etc.

But the “diet” was saying to stop eating the things I ate most…….avocado’s, tomatoes, chicken and yes, corn. Corn is in EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING. It strips you of corn and a lot of grains, but it says it is because your body can’t process it correctly. Again, a lot of people CAN process these foods, but for those of us out there with “issues” we should avoid them as it just fuels the fire so to say.

After I cried over my LONG list of what/what not to eat, I’ve decided to give it a 30 day challenge. WHAT do I have to lose? I feel terrible, so what is the problem in trying something to make me feel better?

At the end of the day, if it doesn’t work, LOL, I’ll still feel terrible, HA! If I feel better, SO I eat no more chicken. What’s it worth in the big scheme anyway? Do I eat a yeast roll with chicken and feel like pooh, or do I eat this and feel better? Ummmm….NO BRAINIER!

So I know this is LONG, but I’m interested in
      A. Have you heard of Blood Type Diets
      B. Are you on one?
      C. Does it work for you?

Thought this would be in an interesting post for my fellow, “we suffer in pain” peeps!

Love yall!

Mel

• September 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

Since I was diagnosed with CIDP earlier this year I have been feeling bloated and sluggish. I also was a healthy, active woman with a small child. It was devistating to me too. I cried and cried alone at night many times as I felt this disease was getting the best of me. I felt I was in and out of doctor appointments constantly….using all my precious PTO time up on doctor visits, spinal taps, MRI’s, EMG’s, and then the IVIG started and it just seemed even more consuming. I think I might have turned to food to cope too. But anyway, now 8 months in I am finally getting a handle on this disease. I am not seeing doctors constantly anymore. My IVIG is now once every 3 weeks (I actually pushed it out to 28 days this past month and did good!). Now I need to start to feel like me again. So I started a high protein low carb diet. I think I was up 20 pounds since last year and my clothes were fitting tight. I don’t follow the diet to the T. I just have cut most carbs out of my diet right now. I allow good carbs such as carbs from veggies and some fruits for now but no grains. I have been on this diet now for almost three weeks and I am feeling great! I have lost my big ponch on my belly that was lopping over my waist band. I have more energy and I don’t feel bloated anymore. I take supplements (3000 vitamin D and B12 also plus calcium and multi vitamin). But I think all the carbs I was consuming as comfort food was clogging me up and causing me to bloat and feel sluggish. Now I not only feel great but am starting to feel better about how I look. When first diagnosed with CIDP I started to let myself go… I just did not care about how I looked anymore. Hid in big, baggy comfy clothes and just pulled hair back in pony tail. Depression for sure. But I decided I need to get in gear and get my life back to normal and stop letting CIDP get the best of me. Doing something for me has really made me feel in control of something since I can’t control the CIDP. My hubby has been very supportive in the diet thing too. He has made me meals every night that work with my plan and even makes extra and packs it in a little tupperware container for me to take the next day for lunch. So it isn’t so much about following a specific diet, just start to eat things that don’t stay in your body for long times not metabolizing. But do it in moderation so that you can live on the diet. Do something to make YOU feel better and you will. Good luck… It does get better once the diagnosis sets in and you start to accept it and start to get thing back to normal as much as you can living with CIPD.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m actually feeling good from it. My belly is anyway. Not that my belly was the issue, LOL, but I’m less bloated, less sluggish and my digestive track feels amazing. I never knew it didn’t until this, LOL!

It’s not a diet I think that is taking EVERYTHING from me, it’s telling me what works/doesn’t work in my body. I’m not boosting the diet in anyway, I’m just saying 3 days in, my tummy feels better. Do my legs feel better….um NO, LOL, but hopefully they will and if they don’t, I give it up after 30 days.

I’m actually eating A LOT more than I normally did. I’m eating very lean and healthy and eating every two hours. All my food is range free, organic and grass fed. At the end of the day, it’s not the “diet” that’s making me feel better, it’s better choices I’ve decided to put into my body.

Anyone who stops consuming processed, grease, fried, bad foods is BOUND to feel better you know? I think this is probably what it comes down to for me. I’ve stopped the wheat and corn though and I can say, I miss it, but again, my stomach is SO happy now off these so it makes me wonder if this was “clogging” my system.

At the end of the day, we are sick, we are taking meds and vitamins and I was just “trying” to see if you guys had heard of this and were doing it. I just want to “test” it more or less for 30 days. What do we have to lose?

Things that I am eating and again, eating more that I normally eat:

Hummus, homemade….YUM and I dip red bell pepper strips and carrots in it
      Low fat cottage cheese
      Free range eggs with Free Range Organic Turkey breast and slice of Mozz cheese on top
      Fish, lots of fish
      Rice
      Veggies, which I ate lots of anyway
      Fruit, which I ate lots of it.
      Puffed Rice
      Yogurt w fresh fruit
      Milk with grape nuts(organic)
      Wasa Bread Sticks

And my brother who hunts is killing me a deer for venison! HA! For meat I’ll have venison, and Turkey and grass fed cow.

there is more I can eat and have, but it doesn’t seem as restricting as I thought. I mean that’s YUMMY food up there. Every two hours now I’m having a little something. My energy is feeling better and my tummy is feeling better. COME ON LEGS, ha ha, for next, but if not, at least I’ll get a good detox from it ey?

I told my hubby if I’m not liking this 30 days later he better take me to my favorite place Olive Garden where I will sit and scarf down 4 bowls of pasta…..HA HA!

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

The best book is EAT RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE by Peter D’Adamo. I have done it for years and have seen a difference. I have recommended it to others and they swear by it. I have mentioned it in past posts but people keep wanting a “magic bullet” for their body. I sent you a private message, but never heard back. So I assumed you did not want to put effort into your healng. Glad you have discovered this way of eating. It just makes sense. I tell those I help holistically that it is like juggling balls…reduce the amount of balls in the air and your body can take care of illnesses. But when you are giving it foods that do not agree with it, it has a tougher time of healing.
      Of course, you will have those naysayers that put this down. ANd keep others from discovering an easy way to HEALTH that doesn’t involve the pharmaceutical companies. I am an O blood type so red meat is Medicine for me. I can tell when I have not had it in awhile..my eyes water and my body feels weaker. If you get a chance to look at the book I recommended, it will tell you that even dental cavities are more prone to certain blood types…bet it has to do with the acidity and alkalinity of the body/mouth.
      I have stopped suggesting healthy ways to improve our bodies on this site,because of those negative people who put it down and yet have never tried it. My friend had Lupus and kept miscarrying. Once she followed the advice of a NAturopath, she had a baby within a year…that was 25 years ago. Forget about the labels that are put on these so-called “diseases”…most can be resolved by proper eating habits. Herpes is an imbalance of the amino acid Lysine that triggers the virus to grow…too many foods with the amino Arginine and one gets an outbreak…so simple. Gout is too much uric acid from improper eating…eat cherries and it is resolved.
      I just wouldn’t want the KARMA of those who get on here and say it is Quackery!!! How dare they take away the Truth and Hope.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm

[QUOTE=Carolyn [B]So I assumed you did not want to put effort into your healng. [/B]
      [/QUOTE]

Carolyn,

This (in bold and quotes) is very offensive; not only to the person to whom you’re responding, but to me. Until/unless you are privy to a person’s situation and ability to obtain the same remedies, food, etc., that you can, you should be very careful when you make such broad generalizations.

I’ve been reading this thread and the healthy choices others are making. Sadly, everyone does not have access or the ability to obtain these foods as, unfortunately, healthy meals are more expensive. So, if it comes down to “should I starve until I can get these foods that are not available during a [B]rare [/B]shopping trip”, an intelligent person would choose to eat the food available to them.

Now, I’m not trying to pick a fight, but please keep in mind that you and others may have more resources (money and/or transportation) than some.

Last thought: I’ve noticed high protein diets are also in vogue these days (not to say the diet on this thread is high protein). But, I’d admonish those with CIDP and taking medications/IVIG may to clear high protein diets with their doctor. Too much protein can affect the kidneys. As IVIG is already hard on the kidney, no sense in the additional issues of kidney failure.

As an owner of one kidney, I shall continue to eat my whole grain carbs, veggies and drink lots of water. I’ll let the other stuff sort itself out when it does.

Take care

• September 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Not true on the High Protein diet and IVIG causing problems. You scared me because I just started the Atkins diet which is high protein low carbs about 3 weeks ago. I get IVIG every 3-4 weeks. I am not a big eater but since CIDP I just can’t seem to lose weight and my weight has been creeping up slowly because I don’t get as much exercise as before CIDP. I tried just decreasing what I ate and making healthy choices. It did not work. I did not lose a thing and I was hungry ALL the time. So someone else lost weight on the Atkins diet so I decided to try. I have lost weight and I am not hungry all the time. I do crave some carbs but it is getting better as I go into my 3rd week. I just freaked out and called my doctor office. They said in all the years they have seen patients with CIDP they have never cautioned about being on any special diet. She doesn’t think the high protein is THAT taxing you your kidneys that you have to stop the diet. Only if you are a person with kidney issues already and have had issue with the IVIG and kidney problems. She said that if I am losing weight and it is making me feel good then by all means stay on the diet. Since cutting carbs out I not only lost weight but my stomach is not all bloated and gassy. I think carbs stop up your system and cause bloating. Now I won’t say off carbs for ever. After two more weeks then I start to gradually add some carbs back into my diet. But stay with whole grain carbs and healthy carbs from veggies. They said add them back slowly to see where your tolerance level is to maintain weight. Of course I will have the occasional pig out of pizza or cake or whatever. But I plan on sticking to the lower carb higher protein diet for a long time. Just plan on variating it a bit so that it becomes easier for maintenance long term. So I disagree about the whole kidney issue with protein. Do discuss any diet changes with your doctor of course.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Tina one thing I have noticed on this forum is that many people are very poor at responding. They will start a thread asking for feedback, and get answers that people have put a lot of thought into when they answer. It is very discouraging not to get an acknowledgement. I have often thought that the forum is dying a slow death because of that. I understand what you are saying, but I also empathize with Carolyn too. A brief acknowledgement is the courteous thing to do.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2011 at 8:49 am

Chirpybirdy: My intentions were not to cause any panic, just share information as we all do on this site. The information shared should, of course, be discussed with your doctor, which is what I stated in my post.

Laurel: Though it may be considered good manners or courteous to respond to every pm, sometimes people lack the time or actually, forget. To call them out about it in an open forum is rude.

Take care

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

You’re right about that Tina. It’s easy to offend with the written word and it is so easy to fire off a posting without thinking of how it comes across or before even proof reading what one has written.
      Laurel

• September 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

Hi Tina,

I am glad you said something about high protein and kidney problems. I was not aware it could cause a problem. It prompted me to talk to my doctor and he put my mind at ease. He said that since I am healthy and am not having any renal issues with my IVIG that a high protein diet should be fine for short term but not long term. So now I feel better and know I am not causing any damage. But I have added carbs back at a slow pace anyway just to get to a more normal point in my diet that I can substain long-term. It sure is hard to shed pounds when you have CIDP.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2011 at 12:38 am

“I sent you a private message, but never heard back. So I assumed you did not want to put effort into your healng.”

I just came across this thread and read it today. I’m not sure who is meant in the above quote, but I know Carolyn sent me a pm recently, and I never answered it, because I thought she wanted me to contact her only if I thought she could help through the various suggestions she’d written me.
      Sorry I didn’t acknowledge your pm, Carolyn. But I’m just not into the complexities of naturopathy; and don’t have the resources to obtain these products. Thanks anyway.
      I’m sure we are all trying our best to heal from this condition; but the journey is different for each of us.

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2011 at 10:43 am

I am so glad that BabyDuck and Chirpy Birdy are feeling better by adjusting their diet. I liked how one said that they now feel in control. Just by making simple adjustments, we can see positive results. I wish I had known this 20 years ago. That is why I post these ideas, because I wish I would have known earlier. It would have saved me other health issues at that time.

Not sure to whom I sent the private message, but I did not expect a reply and said so in that message. Some people want to put their healing into the hands of a medical professional 100%. Some want more control. I just offered my help in case they wanted to explore complimentary alternatives. Either way was fine and no reply was necessary.

As for the complexities of Naturopathy – the most difficult thing is pronouncing it. There are no special foods to buy necessarily. Just eliminating foods that are not good for you and eating more foods that are good. I eliminate peanut butter, potatoes, tomatoes and eat meat once a week without a carb(bread) so that it gets absorbed. Tina suggested that healthy foods are more expensive. I did not say to buy Organic. I suppose it would be better, but I do not. As for transportation, I walk to the grocery store or take a bus.

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Carolyn: I would like further clarification.
      This is your quote a few posts down on this thread; so to whom are you referring here?
      [B]”I sent you a private message, but never heard back. So I assumed you did not want to put effort into your healng.” [/B]

Also, we can track both our incoming and outgoing messages by clicking on:
      Private Messages
      Folder Controls
      Inbox:
      Jump to Folder:
      Inbox:
      [B]Sent Items [/B]

You did send me a private message, and I didn’t reply back, so I’d just like further clarification as to whom you are referring to.

[QUOTE=Carolyn]I am so glad that BabyDuck and Chirpy Birdy are feeling better by adjusting their diet. I liked how one said that they now feel in control. Just by making simple adjustments, we can see positive results. I wish I had known this 20 years ago. That is why I post these ideas, because I wish I would have known earlier. It would have saved me other health issues at that time.

[B]Not sure to whom I sent the private message, but I did not expect a reply and said so in that message.[/B] Some people want to put their healing into the hands of a medical professional 100%. Some want more control. I just offered my help in case they wanted to explore complimentary alternatives. Either way was fine and no reply was necessary.

As for the complexities of Naturopathy – the most difficult thing is pronouncing it. There are no special foods to buy necessarily. Just eliminating foods that are not good for you and eating more foods that are good. I eliminate peanut butter, potatoes, tomatoes and eat meat once a week without a carb(bread) so that it gets absorbed. Tina suggested that healthy foods are more expensive. I did not say to buy Organic. I suppose it would be better, but I do not. As for transportation, I walk to the grocery store or take a bus.[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm

DU,
      I thought I sent that private message to either BabyDuck or ChirpyBirdy. I went back to check but it does not show up on the list sent since it was not recently.
      What I should have done was clarifyor capitalize the word EFFORT. It takes alot of EFFORT to change one’s diet. We expend enough energy just to make it through the day. I had a young British man who found me on this site and sent me a private message. He did not have GBS nor CIDP but wanted me to help me with his eczema of 15 years. With many emails back and forth since phone calling was out, I finally realized that he wanted a simple answer and didn’t want to put forth any effort to help his condition so he could get off the steroids eventually. He wanted one pill that would be the “magic bullet”. We still correspond and I shall be there for him if and when he is ready to go in that direction.
      So, if that message was sent to you, I certainly did not in any way want to imply that you were not willing to put forth effort to get better. I agree with what you said – that the journey is different for each of us! And we each decide where we choose to put our effort…
      Hope that helps…I do not come on this site on a regular basis anymore, so if I do not reply, it is not that I am ignoring anyone. I just feel that the forum has changed. This is my 365th post…a year’s worth …that is enough.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm

You made the quote on August 15/11 on Page 1 of this thread, and you sent me a PM on August 16/11. So I guess you must have meant someone other than me, given the time frame. That clears it up.

[QUOTE=Carolyn]DU,
      I thought I sent that private message to either BabyDuck or ChirpyBirdy. I went back to check but it does not show up on the list sent since it was not recently.
      What I should have done was clarifyor capitalize the word EFFORT. It takes alot of EFFORT to change one’s diet. We expend enough energy just to make it through the day. I had a young British man who found me on this site and sent me a private message. He did not have GBS nor CIDP but wanted me to help me with his eczema of 15 years. With many emails back and forth since phone calling was out, I finally realized that he wanted a simple answer and didn’t want to put forth any effort to help his condition so he could get off the steroids eventually. He wanted one pill that would be the “magic bullet”. We still correspond and I shall be there for him if and when he is ready to go in that direction.
      So, if that message was sent to you, I certainly did not in any way want to imply that you were not willing to put forth effort to get better. I agree with what you said – that the journey is different for each of us! And we each decide where we choose to put our effort…
      Hope that helps…I do not come on this site on a regular basis anymore, so if I do not reply, it is not that I am ignoring anyone. I just feel that the forum has changed. This is my 365th post…a year’s worth …that is enough.[/QUOTE]