Bladder issues post GBS

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 10:29 pm

I, like Kyler below, am new to this forum and found it in my search for answers relating to our daughter about similar issues and GBS. Our daughter had GBS as a 2 1/2 year old and now it’s 7 years later. Being at a key developmental stage when she had the illness, she had to relearn the things she was learning at the time (talking, good balance, etc) For the most part she has recovered pretty well, but definately struggles with some residual things – balance, shaky hand, fatigue, wierd sensations in her feet, and minor speech issues.

She is also not potty trained at night and I am convinced that this is related to her GBS. SHe has been checked out from head to toe, anatomically, and we have tried all of the urology things (medicine, scheduling, etc), but nothing seems to work. She has always told me that she never “feels” like she needs to go until it’s almost too late. Is it possible the nerves that send this message are delayed? (similar to the other delays her nervous system seems to have). We have seen progress, but it has been VERY slow. She is now dry during the day and no longer seems to have bowel accidents, although she does struggle with constipation.

I have found very little on this in my reading and am wondering if anyone out there has experienced similar issues or has some knowledge about it. I’d appreciate anything.