Bladder and Bowel problems

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 1:32 pm

Hi everyone, I am new here. My son had GBS 2 years ago and recovered completely, except he still has occassional bladder problems. He never had the problem before. Now here wets the bed about once a month. By the way his is now 12 years old this happened when he was 10.

Kyler

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 5:25 pm

No one, no doctor, no Mom, knows what residuals are left hanging around after GBS. When I allow myself to get over-tired (that can change from day to day) I never know which residual(s) will show up. And I am 11 1/2yrs. post. I can always “tell” when my right kidney “goes on the fritz”. Or, I’ll have unusal urgency for a time. I am sure that for a 12 yr. old it is embarrasing. Just give him lots of reassurance that it is not “him” but his body still healing. And that is something to be thankful for!! Best wishes jz

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 10:18 pm

Wow, you are one of the first people I have come across who sees a possible correlation with your child’s bowel/bladder issues and his stint with GBS. Our daughter had GBS when she was 2 1/2 and is still wearing a pull up and wetting every night. I firmly believe that this is somehow related to her GBS and finally have found a doc who is listening. What have you learned? Have you had anyone confirm that correlation with your son?

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2006 at 12:36 am

Hello
      Mason has had stomach pains since the very beginning. Wed, we saw a Gastrologist. She did an Xray, he was blocked. We did the 8-8oz of Miralax in 24hr period. It has helped the pain, but not totally. They keep saying his stomach pains and headaches are not from the CIDP. He never had this problem before. His symptoms are worse for about four days everytime he has a treatment. He is on Neurotin, Amitriptyline?, Tylenol/COD, Myrlax, Levsin,cyproheptad.

I have decided I am going to ask his doctor to try the three rhosevlin-(spelling) shots. The doctor did admitt it could be possible the shots could have helped the disease from showing up earlier. I have read some doctors give the strong doses of meds with the IVIG and it has a good result.

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2006 at 2:17 pm

I’m not a doctor but here’s my ‘two cents worth”! The nerves in the bowels are also affected by these diseases. If a body is ‘blocked up’ that means toxins are seeping back into the systems ~ then you get stomachaches, headaches, etc. We need to use the bathroom daily for a very good reason!! I am a firm believer in complimentary practices. I have had excellent results from drinking 2-3 glasses of “fresh carrot juice” over a days time. You do not need to fear that your child will ‘turn orange’ or get ‘to much’ Vitamin A. Vitamin A is ‘the’ vitamin for strengthening/healing nerves.

I don’t know anything about meds other than neurontin for adults. I wish the best for you in the seach for helping your little one.