Blacking out when standing?

• June 6, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Hi all! This is my first time posting in this forum.

I had GBS in late March 2017. I had a relatively fast and mild case (never completely lost ability to walk, didn’t need ventilator). My GBS was confirmed with a spinal tap, but I declined to have IVIG as I was improving so rapidly even in the hospital. Honestly I was scared to death and the ivig consent form freaked me out!

Anyhow, I and a fantastic recovery and I’m almost back to normal. I was just in San Francisco a few weeks ago, and walked like 3 miles with no problem. I still get a bit of muscle fatigue if I do something’s very strenuous.

My biggest issue is blacking out when standing up. It seemed to get better for awhile, now it’s worse again. It happens several times a day. I try to remember to get up slowly but it’s hard. I have 4 kids and it seems like I have to jump up quite often. I’m especially having trouble doing anything in the garden where I need to crouch down.

Should I see my gp or neurologist about this, or someone else? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it likely to go away?

Thanks so much!

• June 6, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Hi, I’d start with the GP to get a check-up to see if something else has popped up. How has your blood pressure been? Mine was always close to ideal until the GBS. And with 4 kids and a garden and who knows what else, you sound pretty busy. Maybe you are “overdoing it”? It is easy to push yourself to previous levels of productivity, especially when you’re feeling great. I’ve even noticed slight differences in stamina, balance, etc, just before that special time of the month.
      Depending on how busy your neurologist is, maybe make appointments with both. (To avoid a long wait between.)

• June 6, 2018 at 9:41 pm

I would gt a complete physical, and tell your neurologist as well. Maybe its nothing. How is your blood pressure? Mine is always low-the last time I had it taken, it was 90/60. I’m 59, a little overweight, I walk a lot for exercise as well as chase my year and a half golden doodle around, and despite recent surgery for a torn rotator cuff, in great health. My mother also has low blood pressure like this. We’ve both been warned by our doctors to not stand up to quick, and when we do stand up, to take a second to make sure we’ve got our bearings. Since my blood pressure is lower than any of my doctors, and I feel fine, no one is worried about it. But, given your GBS history, and the fact that there is so much about GBS that we don’t know or understand, I’d call the doctors.
      May your God bless your health!