Beth/Power Chair/Update

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Made my first adventure out this day. Went to WallMart’s with Mom and David in my new Power Chair with a Joy Stick. Medical person found me a used one with gel batteries that breaks apart, fits in the trunk, and goes together easy for Dave. YEA. Was fun to be out. But, did realize how tired I would get and how quickly I would tire out.
      Have improved some since last phresis two aweeks ago Thursday. Can take a few steps without the walker. Stand to empty the dishwasher and load the washing machine. Still require sit down for all of the rest of cleaning, etc.
      Having less pins and needles with less intensity.
      Am enjoying Mom.
      Welcome to everyone new.

• April 16, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Beth,
      Your post sounds encouraging, I am happy for your progress!
      Dawn

• April 17, 2008 at 10:51 am

Hooray, hooray! We all look forward to your post telling us that you no longer have any need for a power chair and rarely use a walker. Keep on going!

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Beth,
      congratulations! doesn’t it make life a lot easier? I got mine three months ago and wouldn’t want to do without. At first I used the slowest speed and Carol thought it was really funny watching me move through the house at snail speed. Now I zoom around at least as fast as she can walk. Sometimes I leave a few flakes of wall paint in my path — but what the heck.

I attached a taller game joystick to the little knob using a hose clamp. I could not handle that short knob easily with my numb fingers. Now I can put my entire hand around the joystick.

Mine doesn’t come apart like yours but our son got us a converted Honda Element with a ramp on the passenger side. The seat has been taken out and I can just drive in and sit there in my chair. It should get here within the next few days. We already made plans for a road trip in fall going east. We will pick up my mother-in-law in Oklahoma and then visit three of our children in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and on our way back in Michigan. What a blast that is going to be.

Enjoy your new found freedom.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 10:10 am

Beth,
      I have had to have a power chair from the very beginning of my CIDP, as I deteriorated very rapidly to a quad staus & didn’t get any better. At first I was able to just use one for 7 months while they were processing my insurance, have had this new one now for 5 1/2 years. I was able to start walking in the summer of 2004 & went from a walker to two canes, then finally one cane (with AFOs.)
      But I still use the power chair until noon just to save on my legs around the house, & it is great for the occasional outing when I know there will be a lot of walking involved. I actually haven’t taken it out of my yard for a few years now, but just the knowing I can helps me mentally. I did use a manual when we went to Las Vegas in Jan, & also when we went to Orlando in Feb. How I hated to be pushed around again! BTW I do have a minivan with a power lift for my chair, the big back seat is stored up in the garage. I hope it makes your life a lot easier, it sure saves on energy…
      Blessings, Pam

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 1:52 am

As I read this post I realize I will need some kind of chair myself sooner than later. When I go to the store most of the electric carts are already taken. So I keep thinking oh it’s not that far to walk forgetting how much bigger the stores are now and then later I am in sheer pain and down on the sofa curled up.

I can walk and try to as much as possible because I worry my legs will get weak.I look okay-no one can tell I am struggling to walk.Usually use the store cart for balance and does help with getting items out to the car. I’ve done well from using two forearm crutches to limping along unaided after 3 years of intensive IVIG. Probably still need to use my cane to slow me down and remind me I don’t have alot of energy like I think.
      Good luck to you all.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Its great to hear that you got a power chair, it is like being set free again. I have had mine for about 5 years now as well as power ramp to load it in my van.(all courtesy of my sister-in-law). We have taken a number of trips and it is great to go and do things that I could not do before I got it.
      I remember that when I first got it a trip to Wal-Mart was like a treat to be remembered. I to drove mine real slow when I first got it but now I am accused of going to fast. Don’t worry about smacking into things cause it is going to happen no matter how careful you are, just say whoops and go on.
      I have found that you can buy batteries cheaper on E-Bay than anywhere locally so if you need them try that.
      Have Fun and I hope you get better.
      Larry