becoming a father after GBS

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 10:08 am

My son in law David was diagnosed with GBS in October 2005. He spent 10 weeks in the hospital and we almost lost him 3 times. He spend until April 1 2005 in rehab. He came home and is doing terrific now. He does not use the chair stair lift any longer. He was using a walker then a cane and now he only uses the cane when he goes out. He can do stairs and all. We are so excited about his progress.
      I am concerned about some of the meds he was on while in recovery. They just announced my daughter is pregnant. She must have gotten pregnant within the month of Dave coming home.
      Does anyone know if the meds will effect our unborn grandchild?
      Carolf

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 10:20 am

Hi,

What meds was he on? How they effect the sperm of a male, can be answered by your local pharmasist too, probably over the phone. If just the standard stuff, like a pain med and such, based on your description, his recovery is going fast and strong regaining everything back, there should be no threat to anything. It has long been established that GBS isn’t passed along in the gene pool, although coincidence is often sighted as pure proof that it can. I would have no worries, and just look forward to a healthy new grandchild.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 7:20 pm

Thank you racer13 for you reply. I was concerned that there may be some problems with the baby. Dave is on Nerontin and some psych drugs. I am not sure which ones. He was treated with Plasma Phereis and IVIg. he also has chrons disease. He is coming along tremendously. We are so proud of him and his strides. At one point we were so distraught.
      Carolf

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Carol,

If you get a list of the drugs he is taking you can go to drugs.com and look them up and see any warnings they might have. Also each pharmaceutical website will have any warnings.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 4:57 pm

When Ben was in rehab, I asked his doctors if it would be out of the question for Ben to have children. At that time, Ben was on every narcotic you could think of. The doctor couldn’t think of any reason why we couldn’t, except that he was still catheterized at that time (and still paralyzed in sensitive areas too). I think I remember you from the old forum. Doesn’t your daughter live out west, and you’re a medical researcher or something? I’m glad to hear that David is doing well!

Take care,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 6:36 pm

Hi Shannon:
      Yes I am the same person from before. We live on the East Coast. RI to be exact. Gee what a good memory. I am in Womens Health which is a research study. Thank you for responding to the medical question. Leigha is now pregnant and we were concerned about what he was taking and if anyone who had GBS fathered a child after recovery.
      Carolf

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2006 at 11:58 am

No worries from Neurontin !! 😀

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 11:54 am

This is a new ? for me after 10 years of helping the foundation! I had GBS while pregant. My son was born healthy. He is now 25 and there are no effects of the GBS. I think I have read everything about GBS and babies since 1981 😉 I have talked to our board members and other ‘experts’ on GBS. I have not found any effects on the babies after GBS. The meds can be checked out by his DR.

This is the most wonderful time for the family. Enjoy, you’ve been thru enough.

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Hi Kassandra:
      Thank you for your response. I was concerned that with all the meds my son in law was on that it might effect the baby. My daughters doctor sat down with them and discussed it also and gave them a clean bill of health.
      Thank you again.
      Carolf1