band of pain around the mid section

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm

A second symptom along with numb and tingling hands my wife is having relative to GB is a band of pain since the start of the attack around her mid section below her bust line.

So question is what have others experience, treatment, outlook on how long to have the problem.

She describes the pain as a really tight rubber band.

Early in rehab after ICU, etc. if the therapist excercised her mid section, her heart rate would escalate and severe pain would result. Once the pain got so bad she ended back in emergency caused by a little bit of excercise of the affected muscles.

She is getting diminished discomfort and can excercise now but hoping you may have insite to add to the situation.

Appreciate info relative to the problem.

Len

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Len,
      I got GBS Oct. 2007. I had the tingling in my fingers and from the chest down. The tingling in the fingers was gone within a few weeks. The tingling from the chest down is mild and tolerable now.
      That rubber band tightness your wife has has been mentioned on the forums and is described in different ways. I referred to mine as a tight grip or a bear hug.
      At times it was a painful tightness, nurse would give me pain meds. The tightness eased up within a few weeks but took several months before it was totally gone.
      We don’t all recover the same but as time passes hopefully those feelings will lessen for your wife.
      She needs to get plenty of rest.
      Best wishes
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I also had that band around my mid section. Also felt as if I was getting a wedgee as if someone was pulling my shorts up as I walked or attempted to walk. It took a while before that sence left me. Somewhere between 4 and 6 months after the attack was when it sterted subsiding.
      Take care Ron

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Hi,
      I have CIDP but have also had that ‘band pain’ you describe. Mine felt like I was being squeezed tightly around the mid section and following the tightness, I would then become terribly weak all over. I used to have it quite a bit during my first attack several years ago. Whenever it came on I would have to rest laying down (I found sitting down wasn’t/isn’t enough to completely rest my body) – until it subsided. It is very uncomfortable!
      As my nerves have improved I don’t have it that much anymore (past few years) – thank goodness.
      Lots of rest and not overdoing things(I know easier said than done :)) seems to have helped me.
      Best wishes!
      Kazza