Bad News! Getting admitted tonight! It’s a tumor!

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Well! I went for my ultrasound today and left and got home and had a message on my answering machine. Had to leave the house again and go see my regular doctor.
      The nodule that some other doctor found one time that never mentioned it too me about it. I just happened to find it in my records and mentioned it to my new doctor and he decided to get the ultrasound and I had it done today! The radiologist called my doctor and gave him the report. The nodule is 5 times larger so it is a growing tumor that is showing signs of cancer. I was scheduled for September 24th for that Sleep Study and Cpap machine but the doctor had it scheduled tonight instead. Wanted to check my airway and see if the reason I am not sleeping is due to having an obstructive airway. So they are rushing me in tonight at 8:15 to have that test done and see how bad my sleeping is doing.
      If it’s really bad and the airway is obstructed then it’s due to the thyroid gland causing swelling and making me choke in my sleep. High risk choking factor. I am to come home sometime in the morning unless they see an urgent need to go ahead and keep me admitted and wait for the results on both test. If that shows a problem then he is contacting the endrocine doctor and he is going to try and go ahead and have me admitted completely and surgery will be done. But he has to talk the endrocine doctor first to see what kind of treatment is my best option and had told his nurse while I was there to contact that doctor and have him call him . They are going to do another test to check and see if this cancer has spread in other areas also like my esophagus and stomach before they schedule any surgery but may have to admit me anyway no matter what. So after that one test I am scheduled for CT Scan.
      Either way tonight I am being admitted. Two test are being done. One is from 8:15 until 6 in the morning and the other test is right after that! Depending on what they find is whether they keep me and do surgery right away or send me home and start chemotherapy on a cancer that may be spread and nothing can be basically done. Meaning I am too far gone and am dying!
      My regular doctor I started seeing this past April because of 3 lousy doctors that were not listening to me.
      He will be contacting me in the morning after those test are done. But tonight I am being admitted. If the surgery is not an immediate need, then I will go back and have surgery done.
      So please say a prayer for me tonight and in the morning! A little scared an upset too! Well I better get my bags packed and ready to go!
      Hugs everybody!
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Linda,
      I am so sorry you got such bad news. I will be saying prayers for you.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I’m sure it is very tough to hear Linda, and our prayers go out to you… Hopefully they will have more positive answers shortly… hang in there, we are all thinking of you… dean

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Linda-praying for a good outcome for you. One thing at a time and one day at a time ok? Take care. Emma

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 7:12 pm

I will be thinking of you Linda

Good Luck

Sue

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 7:19 pm

i hope u will be ok, best wishes linda–

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I am hoping for the Best For You Linda, I shall add you to my prayers too.

tim

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Gosh

That is hard news to take. You are doing well just to keep going. But, we will be thinking of you and hoping that things will work out well. Don’t lose your positive attitude!!

With best wishes for a quick and positive resolution

Debs

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Linda,
      Oh my gosh! you have been saying you just keep getting sicker & sicker & nobody was listening to you. I am so sorry you have gotten such bad news ๐Ÿ™ .
      Lets look at it on a positive note. It’s your thyroid, they remove it, put you on meds & you will be all better ๐Ÿ˜‰
      I will be praying for you tonight & will be thinking of you. Please keep us up dated & God Bless.
      Here is one of those big cyber HUGS your always passing out ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Ok Linda, finally someone listened to you. You know what you are up against and now you fight, fight, fight! Keep a positive attitude. Prayers and hugs being sent your way.

• September 4, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Prayers are sent your way. Perhaps since this doc listens to you, you could talk to him about the cidp. Keep us posted and good luck to you.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Linda, You are in my prayers! I know how you are feeling right now, being as I just found out last night that I have a large mass in my abdomen. Try to take things one step at a time and all will workout ok. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Linda,
      waiting to hear good news from you tomorrow. Keep a positive attitude. You know we are all here for you..Prayers and Hugs

sherry

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I’ve said a prayer that all goes well. Let us know how you are after Linda when you’re feeling up to it.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Linda,
      You will remain in my prayers. Hopefully it is benign.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 5:13 am

Oh Linda!!! I am soooo sorry……….you have been through so much already.
      Please keep your head up……….. you will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers.

Perry

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 6:09 am

Cheryl I will be thinking of you.
      Letting everybody know about the [B]Stand Up For Cancer[/B] show on the 3 Major American TV Network tonight at 8pm Eastern time. It’s to raise funds for cancer research.

Sue

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 7:50 am

Linda, looks like you have prayers from around the globe…
      including Omaha.

I have a friend that had thyroid cancer. They removed it, she did radiation and she’s on meds but she is fine. Just fine.

Will keep positive thoughts that this is not as bad as it seems.

well wishes,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 9:36 am

Linda, at least your Doctors are finally in attack mode. There is so much can be done now. Think positive, hang in there. You know we are all praying for you.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 10:05 am

Linda, best wishes with the tests. And Cheryl, to you as well. Both of you, keep us posted as you know more!.

• September 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

Linda
      Many prayers are being sent your way. Can you feel us? You are loved and I am so sorry to hear about this. I also send you a hug to comfort you.

Lori

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Linda,
      You will be wrapped in the arms of angels before, during and after. I believe in angels, I’ve had two come into my life.

Do you see how your prayer chain is growing.

From my heart,

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 4:41 pm

sending prayers your way

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Oh my gosh! You all have put me in tears. Thank-you so very very much for the prayers. I had a rough night last night and did not think I was going to be able to do the sleep study test! Even my nurse was beginning to think we would have to reschedule!
      I got there and got into my pj’s and then my husband left and came home. Suddenly, I started getting sick to my stomach! I stayed in the bathroom last night for 3 hours. ๐Ÿ™
      Well anyway, the nurse was going to give me 20 more minutes and if I did not stop going after 20 minutes then they were going to have me rescheduled. But they gave me a Dyclyclomine and that stopped the Irrital bowel aggrivation. It was my nerves acting up too!
      Finally got to sleep and slept til 6 in the morning and then got taken over to X-ray after they let me get a shower. Ohh my gosh! They placed all this paste in my hair and when I woke up I looked like Frankensteins Bride! It was so embarrassing!
      Got over to CT Scan and they did the Xray of that. The ER doctor did the reading for my regular doctor and he let me come home this afternoon. But I was still getting sick to my stomach and felt bad and had to get some sleep.
      This is what I have found out so far! The CT Scan is not showing any masses or signs of spreading cancer.
      But the thyroid ultrasound along with the CT Scan and that dye was nasty. It made me get sick! There is cancer of the thyroid. The nodule is more inside the thyroid gland and my thyroid will have to be removed. The sleep study is showing sleep apnea but no airway obstruction because of the nodlue.
      By what the ER doctor told me it looks to be a slow type of cancer and not spreading at a rapid rate.
      They contacted my regular doctor and because of Tropical Storm Hanna and it’s supposed to hit my town tonight, they decided to let me come on home and scheduled my surgery in two weeks. They were discharging patients today like crazy. Except for those with life threatening problems.
      All medical crews right now are on alert and scheduled to be called in. We have the National Guard here in my town and Rescue Crews all out ready for Hanna to hit us tonight. Because of Hanna and the possible need for hospital rooms tonight, they let me come home. I was not considered life threatening.
      The doctor told me today that I had a Stage 2 Cancer and that they will remove the entire thyroid gland and then after it is removed I will have to take thyroid medication forever!
      But after the surgery, I will be given a Radiation treatment and then may have to take Chemo every 6 weeks for 3 different times. I did ask them about the CIDP and they told me that a person with Thyroid Cancer can get CIDP. So it might be my culprit but then they still are not sure about that one! They think my lupus may have attacked my nervous system after my surgery but then with me having the neuropathy problem when I got diagnosed with lupus could still be another issue! I sure hope not! But we are hoping that the surgery I had may have triggered my thyroid to act up right after that surgery being my problem the whole time.
      They placed me on valium for right now to keep me calmed down in hopes to slow down the thyroid symptoms I am having until I get into surgery. They have me scheduled for Wednesday, September 17th and I have to be in the hospital that morning at 8AM. Have to have a chest Xray and labs and be preapproved for surgery next week with my regular doctor and he will then fax everything to the surgeon.
      But! Because there is a nervous system disorder that may not be completely diagnosed and with me having Systemic Lupus. They will be giving me my first IVIG and Pulse Steroids after the surgery so nothing else will happen!
      They would rather be safe than sorry! So! I’m getting IVIG in two weeks too! Ohh how I hope this helps me get better!
      But! :confused: I am scared %^&^)^%%! Really scared! I hope this surgery is not painful but have a feeling it is!
      Any of you ever had your thyroid removed? What can I expect and be prepared for? I kind of wished they would have done it today instead of making me wait two weeks! Only makes you get more nervous and scared!
      Thank-you all to the bottom of my heart for your prayers. When I got online this evening, I broke out in tears.
      Well better get going! This pills is starting to take effect and making me drousy again! Bless you all! You all are so nice here! I feel like I have a family that I never met before but a wonderful family! Hugs!

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Praying for you!!!!!

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Linda, glad you were able to give us an update. Certainly, your mind is on so many other things right now.
      Sending prayers your way.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I stayed off this site for a couple of days due to us having to wait for our answer on Dr. Levin. I am so sorry to hear the news. Keep in mind that at least you know something now. I felt you were so worried lately that I knew something would happen soon. I was so concerned for you then and again now.

I keep telling myself that you can only take so much and that everyone is praying for you so it will be ok.

I am worried about the same thing for my husband for certain reasons and the waiting does just not help so I am at least happy for you that you now know.
      I did know someone a long time ago that had her thyroid taken out and did fine so I am hoping the best for you.

I need to keep faith for all of us.
      Hugs back
      Joanf

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Linda, You are in my prayers! I know how you are feeling right now, being as I just found out last night that I have a large mass in my abdomen. Try to take things one step at a time and all will workout ok. Sending positive thoughts your way.[/QUOTE]

For you also Cheryl. You just wonder why. I am sorry for your bad news also. It is time for some good don’t you think. It is so hard to hear these kind of reports but hopefully both you and Lind H are in good hands. Let us know when you have time just how you are.

Joanf

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 12:25 am

Hi Linda

No bloody wonder you were sick to your stomach – your nerves must have been going crazy! That is alot to go through in a very short period of time, you must rest now.

My step daughter had half her thyroid removed about 3 years ago. She was 16. She had a growth on the thyroid, and as it turned out, it was benign. However, it wasn’t until they got in there to remove all of it and sent a sample to pathology that they discovered that. So, I guess that there is always hope!

Anyway, the surgery itself was relatively simple. She had a drain in her neck for a day or two (spent two days in hospital). She then spent about three weeks at home from school. As you can imagine, for a long time she was most concerned with the scar! Quite a long one across the base of her neck. Of course, you can’t see it now!

She has to take meds for awhile, but the meds now are quite good. If you have to have a total thyroid hormone replacements, you should make sure that you look at your options for meds. My Mom has had to take thyroid for years.

One thing that your post reminded me of, my neuro looked for a tumour of some sort for YEARs. He was convinced that my neuropathy was caused by a tumour rather than an inflammatory process. He said that quite alot of small lung type tumours can cause CIDP symptoms. Perhaps since yours is considered a slow growth tumour, it has in fact been the culprit! Maybe if you have it taken out — you will feel HEAPS better!

This is my positive thought for the day. I really hope that things go well, but you must rest before the surgery.

Cheers and hugs

Debs:)

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 4:43 am

Thank-you so much my forum family! Yes, I do feel like I have gained a family here and I pray so hard for us all and hope that we all in here get our prayers answered.
      My husband is very upset and worried. In fact my whole family right now is worried.
      Me! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I must admit, I am a basket case right now! Having some emotional times. Sad, worried and at the same time anger at a few doctors that did not want to listen to me.
      I’m not trying to cut down the medical profession because many do save lives and are good doctors. But then there are a few doctors, that I feel don’t need to be in the medical field. And I got stuck with 3 of them that I felt they didn’t even care. More interested in making big money than giving patient care. And then after talking to a few people in my town that saw them also, they did not seem to be pleased with them either.
      But at least I am starting to head in the right direction.
      Went ahead and got up early this morning so I could get my husbands coffee going, breakfast going and my bath. That tropical storm Hanna is now reaching my area with the winds beginning to start and rain coming in.
      So far my area is doing okay but still to early to tell what is going to happen today. So I decided to get on up and get myself started early today! Then after I get myself dressed and breakfast started, I am going to lay around today and rest.
      My doctor also placed me on an antibiotic also to lower my white blood count thinking I am also getting an infection. Basically getting me prepped for surgery. Well I best get my bath now! That storm is starting to roll in!
      Hugs everybody!
      Ohh! It’s football week! Yeayyy!

• September 6, 2008 at 9:04 am

Linda,
      Great News! You are being taken care of!!!!! Maybe another stroke of luck in this glass half empty, now getting full, perhaps the chemo drugs in conjunction with the ivig/steroids will give a turbo whammy to the cidp and aid with the lupus. You mentioned irritable bowel as well, is it ibs or crohns? Maybe while you are there they could make sure about that too!! If it were Crohns, there is a very new drug out for that. Regarding the thyroid. I just helped my friend of 44 y/o with 4 children and a husband in a nursing home, God bless her get through this last year. She was so sick and tired before hand, she could not wait for the surgery. She did not experience much pain, the incision was about 4 inches long, and tiredness was her biggest complaint. She was immediateley put on thyroid medications, and it did take a few months to get it adjusted just right. Again, tiredness and headaches were her cheif complaint. I think she also complained of leg weakness. I believe she had isotopes placed in her and after the surgery had to return for additional treatment to I think, activate the isotopes with radiation. I am not sure about that, as she was not able to explain things and this is what I deduced. It was hard for her to talk as well, her cancer did spread and there was something removed form her throat, it did pass and she is fine now. Presently, once her medicine was stabalized, she was no longer tired and now is cleaning apartment buildings for her brother, taking care of her 4 children and house and visiting her husband weekly in the nursing home. So…. her energy is back.
      I pray that this thyroid issue will help to fix some of the cidp issues with the chemo. Maybe you could convince this doc to speak to your other doc to insure the ivig is continued on a regular basis! Praying for you! Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 10:57 am

Linda,
      I am so glad to hear your update. I didn’t see your post yesterday but I have really been thinking about you. My mother-in-law had her thyroid removed many yrs. ago & did just fine. She takes thyroid med. daily, but thats doable, right. I am in hopes once the tumor is removed your health improves emensely! ๐Ÿ™‚
      I know what it’s like to have to wait for a surgery & how it plays on your nerves. When I was diag. with my brain anurysm the neurosurgeon says “you have a anurysm in a major artery in the middle of your brain & if it ruptures it will kill you immediately, but we will be doing your surgery next Fri. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ That was the longest week of my life, as you can imagine.
      I will be praying for you and thinking of you often.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Linda, I’m not always good with words. So here is a big hug from me:

[IMG]http://www.ourbluemarble.us/forum/hug.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Hi Linda,
      I watch for your postings all the time, since I am up all night, the same times you are. I did not like the sounds of your posting a couple of days ago, and waited anxiously to see what the end result was…
      Well, at least you now know what is going on, and that the doctors are trying to treat it appropriately.
      Sweetheart, unfortunately you will have to deal with your nerves until the surgery. The closer you get to the surgery, the more anxious and nervous you will become.
      Try going to a day spa. A friend who was in a similar type of situation awaiting surgery, tried to keep herself calmed down. The day spa helped tremendously–she got a body massage, facial, manicure and pedicure. She felt fantastic afterwards, and went out to dinner with her husband that night. In times like this, you will find your husband will feel much closer to you and more caring. An evening out together works wonders.
      When high anxiety steps in, just try sitting in a comfortable place and take a few deep breaths. Music also helps distract you, especially if it is calming music–soft jazz or the like.
      I pray things go well for you. You have a little bumpy road ahead of you, but we know you can make it. And FINALLY things are being taken care of.
      I don’t post alot on the forum, but watch for your posts.
      Take care sweetie–you’re in my thoughts.
      Ken
      (KEDASO)

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Hi Linda thanks for your update! All morning yesterday, I kept checking and checking and figured they kept you in the hospital to do the surgery right away. Well now you know, they can help you and there is hope for a good outcome. Stay strong, hugs and prayers to ya. Keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Hi Linda,

At least you now know what is going on even though it is not good news.

Hoping the best for you.

Try to stay strong and stay positive.

Please keep us updated.

You have always been helpful to everyone else on the board.

Now it is you turn to be helped!!!

Chris

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 6:02 pm

my heart is with you, and will remember you in my prayers. praying for you at this moment, actually. thankful that the Lord brought you upon such important information. good luck to you. we are all here if you.

big hug,

jamie

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Hi Linda,

At last you are getting some answers, albeit maybe not the ones you wanted truly. It *may* be benign and even if it is ca, almost always thyroid is one of the easiest to treat. So you will have to take meds every day the rest of your life! Believe me, you will get used to it and think nothing of it. Keep trying to maintain that positive attitude and take it one step at a time! We are here with you all the way.

Mags

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 6:22 am

Thank-you all to the bottom of my heart! I will let you all know something on the day of my surgery. Going to give my husband access to get in here and post to let you all know my outcome. We have a laptop computer too and maybe once I come out of surgery and am doing a bit better I will be able to post myself! Not sure just yet how I will be after that surgery, but I will ask my husband to post and let you all know how I am!
      Everybody dreads surgery! LOL! Even me! I think I will be okay! At least I hope so! Just glad it’s going to get done and over with. The IVIG’s I know my doctor mentioned 1 treatment and then the radiation treatment and after that placing me on chemo. Along with pulse steroids. I think they are going to see how I do after all these treatments and then decide whether they want to keep me on the IVIG’s. I plan on talking to them about that next week.
      I guess I better get myself dressed and bathed for the day! I feel lazy today though! Think today I will cook a quick dinner and just be lazy! Hugs!

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Wow! Lots to take in. Maybe once the thyroid is settled and you have had your surgery you will find you really don’t have CIDP. Wouldn’t that be a blessing. Take care and wishing you well.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Hi Jan! That would be great if I had that kind of news of not having CIDP. The only thing that has me concerned is me having an undiagnosed neuropathy since 1995. But back then they said it was CNS Lupus causing it. Did see a 3 year remission. Then after that car accident where I got ran over by an SUV in a mall parking lot, my body went nuts! Something happened. And since that day I have not been right since!
      I am praying that once they get me straightened out if they do, that the CIDP goes away. I did read something this morning and found that a thyroid problem can cause CIDP also. So maybe this is my problem! It would be nice to see that nerve damage stuff gone and never come back. Boy would that make my day!
      Thank-you Jan! Lets keep our fingers crossed. Maybe.. just maybe I will get that wish! I just wished we all could be cured of our illness and diseases that cause this CIDP! I know I’m having my problems health wise but see so many of us that have had hard times themselves dealing with GBS. And it had to be very hard for you all having that diagnoses and struggling to get well again. Along with dealing with the pain it also brings. I have seen this CIDP stuff be painful and can’t even imagine how painful GBS was! But by what I have read and seen in many postings it was a horrible experience for many of you in here!
      What hurts my soul the most! Is seeing a child here that has CIDP or GBS. That tears my heart up! Me being a parent and now grandparent. It would have tore me up if any of my children got sick this way. And having fear of losing them too! I admire many of you in here! I really do! It took alot of strong will power for many of you and that takes alot of will power.
      Thank-you Jan! Thank-you so much! Hugs! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Hi Linda: Been watching this thread and want you to know that I hope you catch a break. It seems about time for that to happen so I will keep watching and hoping you get some good news. I had a client once who had her thryoid out and did just fine, though I think she was medication for life. But small price to get rid of the cancer. Good luck. Jeff

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 3:33 am

Thank-you Jeff! Well it won’t be long now and that old nasty thyroid will be out of me! 10 more days! LOL! I’m starting the countdown now~ ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 9:14 am

Isn’t waiting the pits though:D Now that I know what it is, I want it out NOW! Hoping these next 10 days fly by for you. Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery!

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 3:39 pm

[FONT=Georgia]Sorry Linda I haven’t been here for the last few days, I’ve been trying to get calmed down. As there have been some things that have gone on elsewhere, that have done nothing but make me totally angry. I hope everything turns toward the better for you & they get the problems taken care of. ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Linda,

Haven’t been on in awhile and just noticed this thread. You are in my thoughts and prayers. If I can ever do anything please message me.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Linda, 9 more days!! WoooHooo!!!!:D

My Aunt had thyroid cancer and went through the surgery, she is in her 80s, she said it was a piece of cake!! Yeah you have to take meds everyday, but then again so do people with hypothyroid, take it from me, its no big deal-I take it before I get out of bed every morning. Its a very doable thing.
      Sending you positive thoughts!!:) You want to do my xmas shopping?!;)

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 5:20 am

Yes yes! I am counting down the days. But like Cheryl said! Can’t wait to hurry up and get this out of me. Just hope the CIDP was the cause of this and nothing else. But I am ready! Just need to hurry up and get here so I can get this over with. Seem to notice the sooner my time gets here the more nervous I am!:D Hugs everybody! Won’t be long now~

• September 10, 2008 at 11:02 am

Here’s hoping all goes well for you, Linda.

Prayers from down south!

Brad

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 11:32 am

Hi Linda, haven’t been on list for a while, having gone through many tests to find cause od pain in all my bones. August 13 was diagnozed woth bone marrow cancer. Have had 2 sessions of chemotheraphy, last one was a cocktail of agressive stuff, plus nausea prevention and a shot for low white blood cells. My doctors dtarted searching February 18, 2008 for the cause. The pains started in my chest, so they thoyght it was my heart, then radiated to shoulder blase, back and hip, Finally 2 MRI;s by orthopedic doctor, picked up the culprit and a bone marrow biopsy proved it.

I wish you well and a complete recovery. Had ttrouble signing on, forgot password.

Peggy Hinz