Back to work full time – 11 months out

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I am writing here to hopefully encourage others that visit this site, and help the know they will get better – in time. FEb 3 2006 I started with what I’ll call a ‘moderate’ case of GBS – in hospital two weeks, in ICU 3 days. I could barely walk due to pin/needle neuropathy and some muscles being paralyzed. I did not need a vent, but it was close. My breathing test numbers dropped considerably and they transferred me to ICU. However thanks to plasmapheresis, that night I started turning around instead of getting worse. I came home after two week in hospital, and had physical therapy for three months. I would have went longer, had my insurance allowed. I started working out on my own at a gym, and slowly returned to work. I am now back to full time. There are still days when fatigue gets me, and if I overdo the steps at home, my legs will get jello like for about a week, forcing me to rest, rest rest. So, keep the hope. There were days when recovering where I felt like I was going backwards, but that is the body telling you and I to rest and ease up a little. The best advice I can give is keep the faith, eat a very healthy diet, take a good multi, do yoga and light strength training.

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 8:10 pm

Congrats Cara 🙂 I am glad to hear that you are back to work.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2007 at 12:07 am

Cara,

Thanks for telling us about your success story. I’m sure it will be very encouraging to others. Congradulations on getting back to work:)

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2007 at 6:51 am

i have also just returned to work. Even though it is only 3 days a week 9-3, I am managing what i was doing pre-GBS and that feels like such a huge achievement when i think of where i was 6 months ago. Even though i have felt pretty good physucally for the past few months, i think returning to work has been a real psychological boost … it is hard to explain but i feel like i have rejoined the real world somehow. It is like returning to work is the final step in my journey and I can finally put everythign behind me. I dont think you can ever say GBS is totally in the past (and i dont know that i would want to because it might have been hard but it was a real learning experience!) but i feel like i can say i have overcome it.

Sorry to babble on … I hope your return to work has been rewarding and positive for you too Cara.

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2007 at 7:43 am

Yolande –

You are so right, it feels so good to be able to start to do the things that were impossible just a few months ago. I have two children as well, I find the hardest thing with all of this is finding balance. congrats on your return! If you ever want to chat, send me a PM, and I will give you my email! Best to you!

Cara