Back problems? Transverse Myelitis

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 11:16 am

Has anyone had problems with severe lower back pain? I read that it can be caused my demyelineation problems but I am curious is any one else has had the problem? Has anyone had problems with any of the meds causing a severe depletion of potassium in their system? 😮

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Patricia,

Yes, I have severe lower back problems. At times it is so severe that I can bearly move or walk. I have not idea what causes mine as it appears out of the blue every few months. I’ve been told a few things by the doctors that it could be weak tummy muscles, my added weight (even though when my weight was under controll I still had it) etc. etc. I dont even go to the docs anymore about it cause all they do is give me 800mg ibuprofin, which does absolutely nothing, even when I take 2. Physical therapy doesnt do anything either. This last time I went to a massage therapist who has done wonders, even though there is still a pain there, I can walk. Interesting about demyelineation, will do some reading up on it.

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Patricia, I too suffered from severe back pain for several years. The pain coincided with my cidp symptoms, but I never put 2 and 2 together. Even after diagnosis of cidp in june 05 I was treated seperately for the back pain. My neuro referred me to our pain clinic in november and I had epidural injections of cortisone at that time and again in march, with little relief. In april I had a procedure called radiofrequency neurotomy which is an injection procedure where heat lesions are created on certain nerves which interupt pain signals to the brain. It wasn’t the most pleasant thing I’ve ever been through, but today I am pain free in my lower back. The effects from this procedure can be expected to last 6-12 months. At the time I thought it seemed a little drastic to do this but I can’t argue with the results. Take care and good luck…………Vicki

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 6:11 pm

My daughter gets back pain too when she is having a relapse. Sometimes it’s so bad that she doesn’t want to do anything but lay on the couch. That’s saying alot for a 4 year old, I think.

I think that back pain is a pretty normal symptom of CIDP.

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone. Read about transverse myelitis here:
      (link deleted by administration)
      Very interesting.