Back pain, liver problems

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2006 at 11:03 am

I am Carol, the wife of candyman, he asked me to ask this question because he can not get out of bed. Last week he fell and hit his back, took him to hospital they said factured vertibre should heal by itself, gave him Vicodin, 2 days later disoreintated and very weak, ambulance took him to hospital, now he has liver problems, none of the doctors can explain why, said ammonia in the liver. Came home yesterday no meds, said to go to primary Dr. in l week and follow up with gasto. and neur. Pain in back is worst affraid to take any pain med. Has anyone had problems with Vicodin or back problems due to GBS, they also say after being dianosed with GBS, say he has sensory neuropathy? What gives.

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Hi Carol,
      I can really answer your questions but be patient and I’m sure someone will. I can say that I am amazed at how my body responds differently to medications now than it did before. On christmas eve I had a terrible reaction to Augmentin which I have taken prior to GBS but this time it made me extremely sick. I have spent my christmas holidays basically in bed. Is it GBS related? I don’t know but something is definitely different. Tell hubby to hang in there.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 1:55 pm

Can not say anything about the liver but busted my lower back once.

IMPORTANT, do not bend or move around allot till you get it checked for splintered pieces of bone and swelling around vertebrae. Small cracks will heal with no splints, screws, etc. Tail bone (Coccyx) [I]mine 7 times[/I] does not heal, nor is there help for it besides cushions.

As for the pain since the GBS I get it more. I use Perkocet w/APAP 10mg/325mg 1 to 2 every 4 hours or as needed and they work great. Had to use THESE because of chronic kidney disease (CKD) & kidney dialysis, among many other, so they are safer[B][SIZE=”2″] (be sure to check through doc)[/SIZE][/B] for the organs.

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Hi Carol, sorry your husband hurt his back. i am one of the many of us who also has back pain, and can’t take pain killers due to allergies. i have recently started using lidopatch on my most painful areas-my lower back and kidney areas. it has helped take the pain level down to where i can sleep a few more hours. it doesn’t take it away completely but it will do enough. i guess the name is lidoderm patch, it can be used for up to 12 hours straight. neurontin helps me with the nerve pain, also. please make sure you ask his dr for the best pain meds, pain isn’t something to have to deal with on top of gbs. give candyman my best, and take care.

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2007 at 5:06 am

Carol, there is no assciation between his spinal injury and liver disease. Liver cell failure produces toxic materials based on ammonia as a result of protein breakdown. We used to treat it with low protein diet. The commonest cause of liver cell failure is long standing high alcohol intake, other causes include chronic hepatitis and secondary cancer. It needs a good discussion with you doctor. DocDavid